Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 17:13   #1

F10D/F8D Engine Valve Clearance Adjustment

Hello there,
I have absolutely no idea what valve clearance this engine requires. I somebody knows the values or can even give advise or images, this would help me a lot. I haven't touched the engine so far.

Greetings
Old 25th February 2009, 20:10   #2
BHPian

dont try to adjust the valve clearances if the engine is not making any sound or having any problem. how much have you done on the ODO?
if at all you are suspecting loose valves please take your wagonr/alto i.e F10D/F8D to maruti authorised service centre.
generally there are different values for valve clearances for cold and hot engines. but its safer to get them adjusted on cold engine.
Old 25th February 2009, 23:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

1. how much it has clocked.
2. when is the last time you did this.
3.Do you have all the tools like feeler guage, tool box etc.

PS: Please do remember an ol' saying 'If ain't broke don't fix it'. That goes 100% with automobiles.

anyway here are the data. Its of F8B. Its 0.13-0.18 mm. 0.005-0.007 inch. Ideal is somewhere in between like 0.006inch. F8D is also same.

Last edited by SirAlec : 25th February 2009 at 23:12.
Old 26th February 2009, 00:11   #4

Well, thank you for the help. Funny, that the valve clearance is the same as with the old engine. Unusual. You are absolutely sure?

I will make myself to get it done in the next weeks.

It has 89.000 km; Next scheduled adjustment is by 90.000 km.

I bought it with 80.000 km, so I can only guess, when it was done before. I don't trust the dealers completely. Maybe ist has never been adjusted.

I think, it is prudent to do the adjustment before problems start. You may hear loose valves, but you won' hear too tight ones. And less clearance is dangerous for the engine. The valves may burn. I know that from motorcycles. The only maintanance you have to do apart from oil change is adjusting the valves. Oh, and maybe the brakes.

If I wanted to go to a dealer, I wouldn't have asked. I have made too many bad experiences with their work. It always cost a lot of money, but it is not always worth it.
If one has the tools, the time and some knowledge about the carspecs, it can be done by oneself.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:09   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osterei View Post
If one has the tools, the time and some knowledge about the carspecs, it can be done by oneself.
Good for you ! The F8D & F10D are simple enough that most of the maintenance can be done at home, if you have the right tools that is

Quote:
You are absolutely sure?
Yes, SirAlec's right, for the F10D...

F10D/F8D Engine Valve Clearance Adjustment-f10d_valve_lash.jpg

And for the F8D...

F10D/F8D Engine Valve Clearance Adjustment-f8d_valve_lash.jpg
Old 26th February 2009, 17:24   #6

You guys are great.

When I have done this and the timing belt and the oil change, I can run the car without thinking about possible engine damage.

PS: The clutch failed at 87.000 km. Not to blame the car. The pre-owner drove it only in town.
Old 26th February 2009, 20:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You guys are great.

When I have done this and the timing belt and the oil change, I can run the car without thinking about possible engine damage.

PS: The clutch failed at 87.000 km. Not to blame the car. The pre-owner drove it only in town.
dont blame the pre-owner too. 87000 is a very great figure for a maruti clutch.
Old 19th February 2022, 09:29   #8
BHPian

Re: F10D/F8D Engine Valve Clearance Adjustment

Hello,

I have a 2009 Wagon R done 39000 kms. It is not making any strange sounds, but the fuel efficiency has dropped to 10 kmpl in Mumbai driving. Does it require a tappet setting considering age and kms?
Will tappet setting improve fuel efficiency?
Old 19th February 2022, 13:30   #9
BHPian

Re: F10D/F8D Engine Valve Clearance Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Hello,

I have a 2009 Wagon R done 39000 kms. It is not making any strange sounds, but the fuel efficiency has dropped to 10 kmpl in Mumbai driving. Does it require a tappet setting considering age and kms?
Will tappet setting improve fuel efficiency?
Check your air filter, replace if not done so in a while. Replace fuel filter, check brakes for brake binding.
At such low kms you do not need tappet adjustment.
Add some petrol additive and take it for a long drive. Sometimes continuous city driving causes carbon accumulation. With the additive the injectors etc should get cleaned and replenish any lost performance.

Most Viewed