Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:57   #1
BANNED

Help. Whistling sound from new Hyundai Accent

Hi Guys,

I have a 2008 Hyundai Accent GLE.

Of late, I have been hearing a very mild, almost inaudible whistling sound, most probably from the engine. It occured ever since I gave it for my second free service.

I am absolutely not sure about the origin of the sound, but it occurs with acceleration; again not loud (Meaning the sound does not increase / decrease with acceleration, but is constant and more prominent in acceleration than idiling).

I would be taking the car to service this weekend, but may find it hard to explain to the service guy, considering the amount of noice that may be there in the garage.

Please advice on this.
Old 3rd March 2009, 21:52   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon View Post
Hi Guys,

Of late, I have been hearing a very mild, almost inaudible whistling sound, most probably from the engine. It occured ever since I gave it for my second free service.

I am absolutely not sure about the origin of the sound, but it occurs with acceleration; again not loud (Meaning the sound does not increase / decrease with acceleration, but is constant and more prominent in acceleration than idiling).

I would be taking the car to service this weekend, but may find it hard to explain to the service guy, considering the amount of noice that may be there in the garage.

Please advice on this.
Hey Brandon,

Fisrt of all you will have to narrow down as to the area from where the sound is emitted.

How often does this happen , is it continuous during the entire driving trip ? or happens only in the mornings ? like after a cold start etc etc..if yes then roughly for how long will this last ...etc etc

Take the technician for a test drive in your car and point out the issue to him ....most importantly... I cannot stress this enough "PLEASE ENSURE THAT HE UNDERSTANDS AS TO WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT" as most of the time they dont and hence end up not being able to resolve the issue in the first place.

Cheers,

Let us know how it goes.

Peter.

Last edited by Peter : 3rd March 2009 at 21:57. Reason: type error
Old 3rd March 2009, 22:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since you appear to be Gurgaon-based, I would suggest taking your Accent to Hyundai Motor Plaza on Mathura Road - the co. workshop. You may not get a service booking at short notice, but you can definitely drive in for "Running Repairs" - tell the guard at the gate that you've come for running repairs, and he'll let you in without a booking. Once there, try to get hold of a mechanic/engineer rather than a service advisor to diagnose the noise you have. At the cost of offending the service advisor, you'll have to insist on getting the diagnosis and repair done before you exit the place.

It'll be near impossible to remote-diagnose a whistling noise from the engine bay, on this thread. It could be as simple as muck in your radiator causing the noise as air is pulled through it, or it could be an engine bearing failure!
Old 3rd March 2009, 22:27   #4
BHPian

Most probably alternator belt.
Old 3rd March 2009, 22:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Please advice on this.
Most likely its the windshield. The pasting may have dried or not alingned properly. A visit to the service centre should solve this anywaz

Elito
Old 4th March 2009, 14:38   #6
BANNED

Thanks for your replies guys.

Peter, the worst part is I am unable to isolate the source of the noise.

It happens all the time. Nothing to do with a cold engine or in the morning etc. It just started after my 2nd free service.

It is very hard to notice, but I am very sharp on noticing things like this, and for a fact I know this sound was not there earlier.

The sound persists throughout the journey.

It is a very very mild, whistling sound.

I purschased my car from Safdarjang Hyundai and have been giving it for service there.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

It'll be near impossible to remote-diagnose a whistling noise from the engine bay, on this thread. It could be as simple as muck in your radiator causing the noise as air is pulled through it, or it could be an engine bearing failure!
+1 to that

@Brandon - take it to a service center as soon as possible
Old 4th March 2009, 15:47   #8
BHPian

Sounds like a fan belt problem. As soon as you start the car you will hear this whistle and also below 20-30 kms/hr it will be present after which it most probably disappears. If so most probably your fan belt is a little loose/tight. Needs a little grease or a drop or two of water on it and you will be set to go.

Cheers
Old 4th March 2009, 15:58   #9
BHPian

Brandon, if you are sure that it is from then engine, then you can ignore my post. But if you are still doubtful about the origin of the sound, then what I've mentioned below is worth a try.

If your Accent's OVRMs are the foldable type, try driving with the OVRMs open (if not already) and see if the whistling noise persists. I had a similar problem with my Corolla back in India and by trial and error, I found that the folded OVRMs were the cause of the sound. Do give it a try.
Old 4th March 2009, 19:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfx View Post
Sounds like a fan belt problem. As soon as you start the car you will hear this whistle and also below 20-30 kms/hr it will be present after which it most probably disappears. If so most probably your fan belt is a little loose/tight. Needs a little grease or a drop or two of water on it and you will be set to go.

Cheers
Never use grease in the belts. You can use little water in the belt. If the noise stops, you need to adjust the belts.
Old 4th March 2009, 20:14   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh75 View Post
Never use grease in the belts.
+1 to that. No grease / petroleum jelly on any rubber component.

Whistling noise could be any of the following list, to which members may kindly add:
1. Muck in the radiator causing air turbulence.
2. Turbo noise (not sure whether the Accent P has a turbo).
3. Slipping/loose alternator drive belt (it's not the "fan" belt anymore, it doesn't drive any fan!).
4. Intake muffle box / air filter box air leakage.
5. Engine bearing noise.
6. Camshaft bearing noise.
7. Clutch release bearing noise.
8. Muck stuck in belt idler rollers.
9. Alternator bearing, fan or rotor noise.
Old 4th March 2009, 22:11   #12
BANNED

I will try poring a few drops pf water on the belt.

I am sure it is from the engine bay, because I opened the hood and pulled the accelerator cable to listen better, and the sound is present

Anyway, I would be taking it to the mechanic soon, as I would not want this to snow ball later.

The Accent P does not have a Turbo
Old 5th March 2009, 10:24   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sometimes, it can be the simplest of things. Ensure that your windows are completed rolled up, a 2mm gap will lead to exactly the same type of whistling sound!
Old 5th March 2009, 10:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

I believe that this is not wind noise. If it were wind noise, then it would increase with speed of the vehicle. One example: When our Baleno was new, we were traveling to A'bad. On the Vadodara-A'bad expressway, there was some whistling sound coming from the vehicle. All my family members were concerned as it was a new car. I had predicted that one window was open. As soon as we reached A'bad ( others were still tense ) smoke started entering the car. It was then dad realized that the rear right window was around 3-5mm open.
GTO you are right about this, but in my case I had observed that the noise was incresing with speed.

Here the noise is constant, so its not OVRM or windsheild. Try to drive with windows rolled up and without ICE and AC running. If it still comes, and increases with speed, its wind noise. Else wind noise is not the case.

Similarly, if any other component is making noise like camshaft bearing, etc. then the noise would increse with speed.

This leads me to belt. Try running the engine when it cold and dont run AC. If the noise stops, its the belt.
Old 5th March 2009, 14:44   #15
BANNED

I am absolutley positive that it is not the window. Even I assumed the same initially.

I opened the hood and examined the same by pulling the accelerator cable. The sound seems to be coming from the left portion, where the belts are. Quite possible it is from the belt.

But I have heard loud squealing sounds from the belt in other cars, but not something so pronounced, constant and so low.

Will be taking my car first thing Sat morning to the service center

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks