Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 12:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

MGP Ventilated rotors for my Esteem cost me 625 bucks.
Old 20th May 2009, 12:47   #62
BHPian

Eating crow !

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Himan, Maruti spares are cheap, but not that cheap If I remember correct, the Alto's front disks themselves cost around Rs.600 each. The Swift's front disks, which are ~2" wider (diameter), & are also vented, cost around Rs.1,600 each.
P.S. - All prices are 2008 April prices
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
MGP Ventilated rotors for my Esteem cost me 625 bucks.
Hi Nitrous, thanks, I guess its time to eat humble pie

The latest prices for the Swift's front disks - non-ABS rotors cost Rs.862 each & ABS rotors cost Rs.994 each.
Old 20th May 2009, 13:21   #63
Senior - BHPian

Srinivasan, Whats the difference between abs and non-abs rotors for the swift?
Old 20th May 2009, 13:49   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Srinivasan, Whats the difference between abs and non-abs rotors for the swift?
Hi Nitrous, I'm not sure myself, at first I thought it was due to the toothed ABS sensor ring, but the ring is actually on the driveshaft & not the disk itself.

Perhaps vikram_d or ram_hyundai could help out here...
Old 1st January 2010, 14:30   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Nitrous, thanks, I guess its time to eat humble pie

The latest prices for the Swift's front disks - non-ABS rotors cost Rs.862 each & ABS rotors cost Rs.994 each.
sorry guys, wasn't tracking this thread...

im_srini: it reads 289/- in MASS's bill (Sai Service - Andheri). I got the disc+pad job+a host of jobs done - so perhaps the item-wise split may have been faulty.
Old 1st January 2010, 22:26   #66
BANNED

Cost of adding discs over drums is just a marginal increase for the manufacturers .
Braking force is directly proportional to the surface area of the braking material and the force applied for braking . A drum brake has more braking surface area than a disc brake . A disc brake has much better clamping power and that is the reason for using it in the front wheels .

The reason why ABS is better on a 4 disc setup is because discs tend to lock up with excessive force and ABS is good and works well ,but drums seldom lock up ( if designed properly) so without ABS I would prefer a disc and drum setup only .

A good set of brakes should be able to effectively retard the vehicle and not lock up the wheels . Drum brakes are much better in this application as they use lesser pressure but more surface area which results in a better braking compared to a disc brake .

On alot of forums I have come across posts which say that discs cool faster , but discs also heat up much more due to smaller surface area and higher clamping force . Drums dont heat up that much compared to discs , and since drums dont cool off faster , the braking is more better .

The above observations are by me and not technical .
Old 14th January 2011, 00:40   #67
BHPian

Re: Disc Brakes - Are they very expensive

how feasible is it to change the rear drum setup to rear disc, as an aftermarket fitment?
assuming the car already has ABS & EBD
Old 14th January 2011, 02:01   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post

The reason why ABS is better on a 4 disc setup is because discs tend to lock up with excessive force and ABS is good and works well ,but drums seldom lock up ( if designed properly) so without ABS I would prefer a disc and drum setup only .

to get a little technical, on exactly the same surface, if disc is locking up and drum is not, then drum is not supplying enough braking power.
Old 14th January 2011, 17:20   #69
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Cost of adding discs over drums is just a marginal increase for the manufacturers .
Braking force is directly proportional to the surface area of the braking material and the force applied for braking . A drum brake has more braking surface area than a disc brake . A disc brake has much better clamping power and that is the reason for using it in the front wheels .

A good set of brakes should be able to effectively retard the vehicle and not lock up the wheels . Drum brakes are much better in this application as they use lesser pressure but more surface area which results in a better braking compared to a disc brake .

On alot of forums I have come across posts which say that discs cool faster , but discs also heat up much more due to smaller surface area and higher clamping force . Drums dont heat up that much compared to discs , and since drums dont cool off faster , the braking is more better .

In Europe ABS on trucks was legally enforced a long time ago. This was quite a few years before disc brakes found their way into anything above 7.5 tons. ABS control can be done on either very effectively.

Either brakes have their advantages and disadvantages. Disc brakes are easier to cool down and clean themselves easier than drum brakes.

When drum brakes are too small, surface material tends to glaze faster and makes them inefficient. Measures for de-glazing are much more expensive on drum brakes.

Many manufacturers still use drums at the rear as they are cheaper to produce and the brake force is so little (only about 15-20% of the total break force) that heat is no problem.

On small cars drum brakes are the better solution at the rear as they are usually lighter than equivalent disc brakes, reducing unsprung wieght unless carbon brakes are applied.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks