Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2009, 22:57   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
question: When we press the foot brake peddle, which brakes are applied front/rear/or both.
and when we engage the parking brakes?

Regards,
On pressing the brake pedal, usually both front and rear brakes are applied. The degree of application varies if you have EBD/ABS based on the road conditions and traction for each wheel.
The parking brake is usually mechanical and applies to the rear wheels only.
Old 10th March 2009, 23:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post

FYI, verna has only front disc barkes in all versions.

the new vernas do sport rear discs on their ABS models alone, the verna crdi SX has rear disc brakes.

the ones before that dint have rear disc brakes.
Old 11th March 2009, 11:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox22
The parking brake is usually mechanical and applies to the rear wheels only.
This is my understanding too.

But yesterday a colleague had a different take on this. He said parking brake applies to the front wheels. Reasoning being that when illegally parked vehicles are towed away, almost always it is the front which is lifted with only rear wheels making contact with the ground. If parking brake applied to rear wheels, they won't rotate and tyres would end up getting damaged due to car being dragged along.

While it does sound logical, I still think hand-brake applies to rear wheels and that while towing, the cops disengage the hand-brake somehow.
Old 11th March 2009, 11:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

So can cars be towed with handbrake on? - Yahoo! Answers

SB, here is the answer on how to tow the car even if its on hand brake
Old 11th March 2009, 12:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
This is my understanding too.

But yesterday a colleague had a different take on this. He said parking brake applies to the front wheels. Reasoning being that when illegally parked vehicles are towed away, almost always it is the front which is lifted with only rear wheels making contact with the ground. If parking brake applied to rear wheels, they won't rotate and tyres would end up getting damaged due to car being dragged along.

While it does sound logical, I still think hand-brake applies to rear wheels and that while towing, the cops disengage the hand-brake somehow.
I have seen the cops opening the car door to disengage the hand brakes before towing. They probably use the same technique to open the door that a car thief would. Not sure how legal this is though.
Old 11th March 2009, 12:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

For the thread starter, Yes Disc brakes are more expensive than drums, and more evvective too. They do not fade as fast as drums, mainly as they cool faster (ventilated discs cool even faster) Now the question that begs an answer is how much more expensive are they over drums? Apparently - a LOT.
This is because only higher end cars have these on the rear. (IMO this is one of the most visible diffreciaters of D segment salons).
PS- dont want to rake up the segmentisation of salons which covers many pages on linea discussion. BUt this is only my opinion,
Old 11th March 2009, 13:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
the new vernas do sport rear discs on their ABS models alone, the verna crdi SX has rear disc brakes.

the ones before that dint have rear disc brakes.

yep all vernas with ABS have all round disc brakes
Old 11th March 2009, 17:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
This is because only higher end cars have these on the rear. (IMO this is one of the most visible diffreciaters of D segment salons).
Or is it that disc brakes are much more effective than drums and its not very safe to put them on cars without ABS?
Old 11th March 2009, 19:15   #24
BHPian

About the issue regarding the parking brake, can anyone confirm if there are cars which apply the parking brake to the front wheels? I verified on mine and its rear for sure. I think it is on the rear in most cases. Thats how people drift using the E-brake!
Old 11th March 2009, 21:41   #25
BHPian

Getting back to the topic of rear disk brakes. The main reason for not doing it is cost. There are 2 reasons for the higher cost.
1. Disk brake systems by themselves cost more.
2. The parking brake system is more complicated and hence more expensive if the rear brakes are disks as compared to drums.
Old 12th March 2009, 03:54   #26
BHPian

besides cost being a factor, I personally think that since most sedans in India are FWD in which braking has a weight bias to the front, hence the discs are ideally located there. Leaving approx 40% of the braking to the rear, manufacturers believe drums would do the job. Could this also be a reason why we are deprived of the rear wheel drive culture in india?
Old 12th March 2009, 14:16   #27
BHPian

Are they really so expensive? From a A.S.S perspective, the Discs themselves are really cheap (~280 bucks for Swift)....
Old 12th March 2009, 14:20   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Are they really so expensive? From a A.S.S perspective, the Discs themselves are really cheap (~280 bucks for Swift)....
That's it. Wow, I was thinking them to be much more expensive that 280.

The bullet disc brake setup costs about 7k.
It includes the
disc,
calipers,
cable,
lever,
spokes
and hub.

So was thinking that the largest and heaviest component would be the most expensive as well.
Old 12th March 2009, 14:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox22 View Post
2. The parking brake system is more complicated and hence more expensive if the rear brakes are disks as compared to drums.
Very valid point there. BTW how does a parking break work with rear discs.
Old 12th March 2009, 14:52   #30
BANNED

Discs in the rear have everything going for them but for the following:

1. With weight transfer on braking you do not need that much rear braking, so drums may suffice.

2. The main problem is that while Drums are self actuating (the shoe is levered into the drum once even a light contact is applied) the same is not true for the disc. The result is that you may have to add some gimmicks for the hand brake. In the 70's the hand brakes of even cars like Porsches were a joke. Many cars came with small inboard drums just for the hand brake function.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks