Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 13:51   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
I haven't got one thing though,why can't we run a 25-30 shot on street,firing at WOT.
You can. Only if you want to roll backwards into another light pole .

On a more serious note, it will be exceeding difficult to maintain (or monitor) the optimum NOS pressure for street use. Ideally it should be between 900-1200 psi. But then again, the question beckons, why would you want nitrous on streets?
Old 20th March 2009, 15:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Nitrous is just packaged air to send more oxygen into your combustion chambers in a chemically stable form so that it does not explode outside your cylinders. More fuel and more air can help get more horsepower also lead to detonation (which is capable of destroying your engine)
Ha ha ha ha... Check this out... Nitrous is just packaged air..... I wonder why they call it or even fill Nitrous Oxide gas then.. Rolling on the floor laughing..
Old 20th March 2009, 15:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak7116 View Post
Ha ha ha ha... Check this out... Nitrous is just packaged air..... I wonder why they call it or even fill Nitrous Oxide gas then.. Rolling on the floor laughing..
I fail to see the humour.

In NOS, only the oxygen is burnt and used to generate power. The non-combustible nitrogen gas is just a stabilizer agent which prevents your engine from physically blowing itself up to smithereens.

So in a way what Psycho has said is true.

I would recommend that you try running your vehicle with an oxygen cylinder and see what happens.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try injecting O2 directly into your engine and see the fuel and O2 mixture explode the moment it reach the heated valves.

Nitrous oxide separates at 600 deg centigrade to nitrogen and oxygen within the cylinder and by the way the air we breathe about 75 to 78% of Nitrogen in ambient air. So why do we call it air when you are only bothered about the oxygen that you breathe.
Old 20th March 2009, 16:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of NOS diesels, heres a nice video -

Shan2nu
Old 20th March 2009, 17:27   #21
BHPian

I have seen many sites which shows NOS installation for diesel engines, and they project the NOS install to be a very easy one and it’s only in foreign countries.

If we can find one good tuner in India who can do a reliable NOS install for diesel engines, will help a lot for power hungry folks like us.

The way a 1.9ltr diesel engine is overtaking is mind blowing

Last edited by brraj : 20th March 2009 at 17:31.
Old 20th March 2009, 19:55   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
I have seen many sites which shows NOS installation for diesel engines, and they project the NOS install to be a very easy one and it’s only in foreign countries.

If we can find one good tuner in India who can do a reliable NOS install for diesel engines, will help a lot for power hungry folks like us.

The way a 1.9ltr diesel engine is overtaking is mind blowing
If you can get your jet sizes right, it shouldn't be a tough job to install it. But its a pain to keep getting refills and they don't come cheap at some 1.5k per refill for a 10lb bottle. Id upgrade the turbo instead of spending 40-50k on a NOS kit.
Old 20th March 2009, 21:33   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I fail to see the humour.

:
Might be because N2O is also " laughing gas "
Old 21st March 2009, 23:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Nitrous oxide is not JUST packaged air. when the cold n20 gas is released into the combustion chamber, it decomposes, 1 mole of nitrous oxide gas release 1/2 moles of oxygen during the processes of decomposition, Thus the air in the combustion chamber is now saturated with33% oxygen, atmospheric oxygen on the other hand has just 21% oxygen, this make the fuel burn hotter and better and thus giving you the extra "push"
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Really neat article.

Just one question, at what stage in modifying should one fit NOS.
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Really neat article.

Just one question, at what stage in modifying should one fit NOS.
Please read this article by GTO.
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:28   #27
BHPian

Another big advantage with N2O is that it cools your intake charge by a pretty decent amount. This alone can boost your power by 5%. With a diesel this also means your EGTs are lower so you can stuff even more air and fuel into the engine.
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:45   #28
BHPian

Extremely informative article Keshav.

Learnt a lot of things. Wasn't quite sure as to why Nitrogen is included. Now i know it.

Any detailed information as to why is it a problem to the engine if pure O2 is used???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
when the cold n20 gas is released into the combustion chamber, it decomposes, 1 mole of nitrous oxide gas release 1/2 moles of oxygen during the processes of decomposition
I thought it was the other way around. For every 2 molecules of O2 1 molecule of Nitrogen is decomposed. This I remember from my 12th grade. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 24th March 2009, 01:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift8847 View Post
I thought it was the other way around. For every 2 molecules of O2 1 molecule of Nitrogen is decomposed. This I remember from my 12th grade. Correct me if I am wrong.
Correction to your statement. Nitrous oxide is N20 and not NO2. In nitrous oxide there are two molecules of nitrogen and one molecule of oxygen. Nitrogen dioxide is NO2.

Last edited by vikram_d : 24th March 2009 at 01:31.
Old 24th March 2009, 03:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Good info.

I'd like to add here that when you do the numbers by mass, nitrous oxide has a mind-numbing 70% oxygen content as opposed to air, which has only 23% oxygen.

That's the main reasoning for the fact that nitrogen content in N2O does not have much of an effect on combustion.

And, would people please stop calling it NAWSSSSS.........that's a trade name for nitrous oxide systems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks