Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 07:32   #31
BHPian

Finally....some DECENT real world info & knowledge on power adders...& intelligent discussions on this forum....VERY NICE Keshav....& McLaren too.

Last edited by 1self : 24th March 2009 at 07:37.
Old 24th March 2009, 10:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

WHOA!!!!
I did not know laughing gas was packaged air!!!
Gotta hit the chemistry books again Keshav!
Old 25th March 2009, 04:55   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

All this technical jargon and no actual help with the jetting and fuelling sizes? Keshav, I remember you having the recommended jet sizes document from my kit. How about putting up a scanned copy for everyones benefit? I think the most important thing for people to know about Nitrous Oxide systems is to know the safe limit to use on an engine and the recommended jetting.
Old 25th March 2009, 06:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Well GTO had put up a post on Modding and Tuning your car where he talked about modding the car in stages and what could be done and what not.

Nitrous:

One of the quickest approach to a fast car and a quicker approach to a will blow out before you release that nitrous button....

Have fun and be careful. Do not use nitrous on the street and be responsible drivers.
that made for some real good reading.awesome explanation.
Old 25th March 2009, 10:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
All this technical jargon and no actual help with the jetting and fuelling sizes? Keshav, I remember you having the recommended jet sizes document from my kit. How about putting up a scanned copy for everyones benefit? I think the most important thing for people to know about Nitrous Oxide systems is to know the safe limit to use on an engine and the recommended jetting.
Please read this in my first post.

Quote:
Ok now you know the types of Nitrous systems and the risks out there, BUT how do I jet them???

Please be careful from this point on and I would never reccomend that you do this on your own
  • Jetting a nitrous system and fuelling is best left to the pro's as it depends on too many factors to list out here
  • Jetting can never be copied from one car to another as it varies as per the mods / fuel / fuel pressure / ignition system / strength of the engine etc
  • So go to your tuner and have him do it

I know this post may not have answered all your questions and I may not be able to do so in one go so I am taking the liberty to point you to some good material here
Would also add another point: Manufacturer reccomended jetting is a rough bench mark and not an accurate measurement of the jetting to be used on a vehicle.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Good info.

And, would people please stop calling it NAWSSSSS.........that's a trade name for nitrous oxide systems.
That was hilarious.. Reminds me of stuff like flammable NAWSSS, seven-speed Eclipses and MoTeC Systems Exhausts... NAWSSS is to nitrous oxide as Xerox is to photocopiers I think.
Old 26th March 2009, 12:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Nitrous oxide separates at 600 deg centigrade to nitrogen and oxygen within the cylinder and by the way the air we breathe about 75 to 78% of Nitrogen in ambient air. So why do we call it air when you are only bothered about the oxygen that you breathe.
Quite true about the nitrogen and oxygen splitting part. I'm one who knows so much of organic chemistry I could tell you the angles of the bonds between the atoms of a carbon dioxide molecule.

Its just that if it was only oxygen which needed to be pumped in we could borrow a cylinder from the neighborhood hospital couldn't we? I agree with you also on that the nitrogen is what keeps it stable. But it is not just air being pumped in. It is a definite mixture of nitrogen and oxygen called nitrous oxide. Air also contains carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and other acidic gases which are not of much significance. So calling it packaged air would be an insult to something so heavenly as nitrous power.
Old 26th March 2009, 13:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak7116 View Post
So calling it packaged air would be an insult to something so heavenly as nitrous power.
Am amused that a figure of speech could cause so much angst.
Old 26th March 2009, 13:53   #39
BHPian

Packaged air !

Quote:
Am amused that a figure of speech could cause so much angst.
Exactly, it was used only as a figure of speech, I'm not sure why everybody is being so pedantic about it ! N2O is just an oxidizer & not some magic fuel - at the end of the day you still only burn gasoline within the cylinders, just more of it because you have more oxygen (or air in layman's terms). And yes, N2O also cools the charge quite a bit, but for all intents & purposes its still 'packaged air'.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak7116 View Post
So calling it packaged air would be an insult to something so heavenly as nitrous power.
For the sake of being politically correct, we shall from now on refer to nitrous as packaged oxygen with a stabilizer agent or better still packaged air without any other impurities.

Last edited by vikram_d : 26th March 2009 at 14:19.
Old 27th March 2009, 13:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post

So it seems that not many people have tried NOS for diesel engines in india.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I doubt ANYONE has tried running NOS on diesels in India yet.

Our tbhpian from delhi Gaurev Prabhakar runs his Jeep using a scorpio engine with Nitrous too.

Check this out for more details..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...red-beast.html

Am sure brraj is going to follow suit soon..
Old 9th February 2010, 15:23   #42
BHPian

hey psycho is it advisable to hook up nitrous with stock internals?
Old 10th February 2010, 18:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild4lyfe View Post
hey psycho is it advisable to hook up nitrous with stock internals?
Am assuming it is for the chevy aveo 1.4. with the FFE and a filter. My answer, I really don't know as I have never read up on the engine or worked on it.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:51   #44
BHPian

haha! you know me so well !!
thanks bro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks