Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Our Indica had a similar issue @ 54,000km and the service center guys asked me to change the shifter, he further went onto say that if I dont change it now, I might have to pay huge bill when the gear box and clutch need to change.

I was not satisfied with their in-coherent answers, so called up zappo and after a good discussion(zappo suggested try changing bush kit) so took my car to a local repair and just asked him change the bush kit. He changed it, cost - 200/-.

That was in 2006, now the odo is close to 1,00,000 km. No problem other than a little bit of play. May be its time spend 200/- again.

I dont say that the Indica and Octy will be same and neither I suggest that it could be bush kit issue(I dont know whether it exists in an octy). I suggest to take a second or may be third opinion.

Raj.
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
So one of our diesel Octys went for service 3 days ago, to Gurudev in Madras.
Is this the new one at Koyambedu circle or the one at Guindy ?
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:40   #18
BHPian

Sorry bro. But you own a "skoda". So you have two options. Either get rid of it or live with it.

Don't ask why I said that because in my two years of ownership, and one year of Garage parking with the dealer for a short circuit in the car, I have already wasted 2.5 lac rupees on the car.

In short, join the club.
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:52   #19
BHPian

Oh no, not again!
Skoda's A.S.S. is going down the drain!
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:05   #20
BHPian

I'd have the car examined at a reputed workshop which isn't affiliated with Skoda for another opinion.

Perhaps traces of the gearbox/paraphernalia being opened/fiddled with recently will surface as well.

Edit: Ask your dad to have a camera handy and take plenty of pictures if evidence of foul play is found.
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

They couldn't answer how the problem suddenly surfaced. They also went a step further and recommended a full clutch assembly replacement 'just in case'. Cost: Rs. 55,000.
good lord! Another Skoda in trouble! God save thee! Now whatever caused the problem (dealer negligence, manufacturing defect), you will have to bear the costs, that's Skoda's way of working. All the best!
Old 2nd April 2009, 17:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
good lord! Another Skoda in trouble!
You meant another Skoda owner in trouble, right ?
Old 2nd April 2009, 17:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Worst case they put a dying transmission with 200K on it ...into your car, took the trans out of your car and put it in the other car. Check the serial numbers !
Old 2nd April 2009, 17:31   #24
BHPian

I might just know a person to get your clutch done if needed much much cheaper. Going to personally check out his workshop this weekend. PM me if you need help.
Old 2nd April 2009, 17:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

55K for a clutch replacement on a diesel Octy?

Wonder how much it would cost to replace a DSG system.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd April 2009, 18:47   #26
BHPian

Ice as suggested by many TBHPians here its better you get you car checked with some other pvt service garages.

Never know what else is missing from your car.
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
55K for a clutch replacement on a diesel Octy?

Wonder how much it would cost to replace a DSG system.

Shan2nu
Nearly 2L + labour is what a relative of mine got quoted in Bangalore. He replaced it, got rid of it and bought himself an Accord. Although he can't really drive that boat in Bangy, it isn't blowing up his bank balance whenever it pleases.
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:36   #28
BHPian

Ditto Ice! I have the same problem in my Diesel Octavia. I noticed this problem on one of my trips to Bangalore and if I remember right the Odo reading then was about 54k. As you said the grinding noise comes when shifting from 1st to 2nd at higher revs so this occurs more on highways than in the city drives. Also I've noticed that the sound doesnt come when I shift slowly and also push the gear lever a little to the LHS while shifting.

My car went for the 63K service last week and I did not mention about this fearing a fat estimate. I never suspected the handwork of Gurudev motors for this issue instead was cursing my drivers because they sometimes lazily move the car from 2nd gear. I think they have still not outgrown from driving Ambys and Fiats.

Regarding the service interval I think it is 7500 if mineral oil is used and 10000 for synthetic oil.
Old 4th April 2009, 17:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
So one of our diesel Octys went for service 3 days ago, to Gurudev in Madras. This was the 55,000 km scheduled service (for some reason, Skoda shifted service intervals from 7,500 km to 10,000 km and each car now has a different km at which it needs to go for service...go figure!)

The car was perfectly went for service, and we got it back the evening of the same day. My dad then went for a drive and found a grinding sound when shifting from 1st to 2nd at an engine speed over 3000 rpm. The grinding sound is absent at speeds below this. There was no issue whatsoever with the car, the clutch, or the gearbox when we sent it in for service.

So my dad takes it back to Gurudev, and they tell him that they need to change the synchronizer between 1st and 2nd. Cost: Rs.15,000 (parts + labor).

They couldn't answer how the problem suddenly surfaced. They also went a step further and recommended a full clutch assembly replacement 'just in case'. Cost: Rs. 55,000.

What to do? Has anyone with a diesel Octy faced such issues at 55,000 km.? I can vouch for the care the car has been given because only my dad drives it, and he is a careful driver who never abuses the car in any manner.

My Acura's synchros wore out last year in the US as well....at 215,000 miles. Our Qualis actually shift better now than when it was new. My Uno's gearbox was never touched in 9 years and 140,000 km. of operation. So what's up with Skoda? Or did they swap out the gearbox when the car was at their service station? Help!
Could u resolve your problem Ice?
Old 4th April 2009, 17:30   #30
BHPian

@ Ice and Jai3033

Same car, Same mileage, Same Problem & Same Dealer. IMHO something is wrong somewhere and its not the car IMHO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks