Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 02:46   #1
BHPian

Air conditioning ON, Fuse Blown

Hi,
I was loving the cooling in my Santro car since last one month of summer, suddenly today my Santro gave me shock.

After running Air Conditioning for a few hours, it was getting quite hot and i discovered the A.C. is not cooling, however appears to be running. (the Noise of Air conditioner from bonnet)

Skipped a breath, as it was night already came back and started looking around,
found one 10A fuse in the under bonnet was BLOWN, had an extra and replaced it, turned Air conditioning ON and it got blown up again.

Any one has idea whats this all about and what would need to be replaced ???

some facts worth considering.
when i turn A.C. ON, the Engine sound or may be the compressor sounds like A.C. has started, The light on Dash Board comes up fine (green one inside button).

I noticed as soon as i turn the A.C. button ON, the car gets higher RPM [gets accelerated, while previously (when A.C used to work) the car used to lose a little power (speed etc). ]
Blew up a few fuses tonight, after replacing one after another and trying to re-insert any connectors i could find for A.C. under the bonnet.

I'll however talk to service center for this, but driving to that place is a mess, so need a idea what could be wrong, and of course how much I am going to loose in getting this fixed up.

thank guys for your time.

I've a few mods done to my Santro, Interiors have L.E.D Light and it looks cool.
will post the pics soon.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

the electrics might be shorting somewhere.
Check your grounding cables.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Check for short at the compressor connection, The ECU gets a feed from the AC switch hence the ECU increases the rpm to compensate for the added load. The compressor is not working , I think.
Usually the compressor is connected on the same circuit as the radiator fan.This is done to keep the car in good shape if either one overloads . so check for the complete circuit.
Old 15th April 2009, 16:38   #4
BHPian

thanks for the inputs, I'll be going to a car A.C./wiring expert in a hour or two.
the santro service people have made me scared saying if its Compressor Jam or burned, it would cost minimum 25000 INR.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Interiors have L.E.D Light and it looks cool
That's cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
the A.C. is not cooling
But that's not cool. lol.

Just kidding. Let us know how it went.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 15th April 2009 at 17:26.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
That's cool.

But that's not cool. lol.
You sound like Paris Hilton, remember 'that's hot'.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:41   #7
BANNED

ghpk - Here's some useful information.

The blowing of a fuse is an indication that there is a short circuit or an overload taking place in the circuit that goes off when the fuse goes off. Think of the fuse as a fault indicator lamp - not as a problem by itself. So after you replace the fuse once, and it blows again, don't try replacing the fuse again. It just means that the root cause of the problem still remains.

The Hyundai service guys may have said that as an initial response. If it is a wiring issue, they too can do the same without any huge bills!

Warm regards,
Sandeep

Last edited by sdmn : 15th April 2009 at 17:43.
Old 15th April 2009, 18:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Jeez, stop blowing up fuses. It may be fun to watch them go bang over and over again. But one of those times, whatever it is actually protecting will go bang. Then your head will go bang on the steering wheel. Then the airbag will go bang. The next day, your bank balance will go bang.

So don't go bangin' fuses, mmkay?
Old 15th April 2009, 19:04   #9
Team-BHP Support

Looks like electrical overload in ac circuit, it can be anything from ac compressor, ac radiator fan, shorted wiring, bad relay, switch etc

A good A>S>S or AC mech should be able to diagnose this pretty well, apart from compressor and radiator fan the cost impact will be minimal.

Dont play with more fuses now, since this can damage the parts/system further.
Old 16th April 2009, 02:27   #10
BHPian

Hi all,
called up service station guys and they said if its anything in compressor whole unit would need re-placement, i asked about any availability of spares in case its compressor, they point blankly denied, I decided no way for official service station now.

Went to my old car mechanic, who's gem of a person, he sent me along his gy to A.C. repair guy, he figured out it to be A.C. compressor Coil gone bad and is over-loading the circuit, he didn't had the spares and asked me to check back 2 days later, but heat was not yet over, Gave Budget Rs.3300
including the GAS recharge which would be needed if he repaired.

Again went to my mechanic, he referred me to the Best A.C. Mechanic who was previously not available on phone and i drove to his small garage, he examined the circuit and then said its Definitely your compressor coil burned out, he even put some meter in place of fuses to test then drove some parallel wires to Compressor and it did some cooling but not normal.

He then asked his guys to open the front bumper, and some units, brought another coil which and said this would work fine, he gave me a budget of
guess what, Rs.1100/- wow.

In a hour and a half my A.C. was cooling much faster than before, No more Fuse blowing up, and of all, he liked L.E.D. lights so much he asked me to write the specs for him, make some temporary wiring diagram for his Bike, and i did so, also gave him one 12, LED light which i was having under Bonnet. he gave me Rs.200 further discounts, of All, it costed me Rs.900/- to get it back working, and a lot of mental pain.

Attaching few pics where you can see the round coil with small wire.

One point i would like to seek advice from helping Team-BHP Pals, don't you think the A.C. Cooling pipe (the one shown in attachment named "Cooling.jpg"), which brings in the cold air to blower should be insulated with FOAM or other heat proof material, In my santro the pipes inside the Bonnet are exposed to Heat of the Engine, however touching them gives a Nice COLD COLD Feel.

Thanks again for such a warm and nice response.

If you like to see my LED stuff, you can see my Video.
Attached Thumbnails
Air conditioning ON, Fuse Blown-img01871.jpg  

Air conditioning ON, Fuse Blown-img01872.jpg  

Air conditioning ON, Fuse Blown-img01873.jpg  

Old 16th April 2009, 02:41   #11
BHPian

Sorry Guys, forgot the last pic,
Do you think the Cooling Pipe should be Insulated as we have in SPLIT A.C. Outdoor unit connected to indoor unit with FOAM Insulators.

And i realize my under Bonnet certainly needs a WASH.
Attached Thumbnails
Air conditioning ON, Fuse Blown-cooling.jpg  

Old 16th April 2009, 10:42   #12
Team-BHP Support

so now you know where to go if you want to get your ac fixed

The pipe is insulated with thick rubber and the aluminum part "can be" insulated with slight difference in cooling.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th April 2009 at 10:45.
Old 16th April 2009, 11:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

so basically guys please carry l.e.d lights to get a discount with mechanics

well good that the problem is sorted.
Old 16th April 2009, 18:30   #14
BHPian

Jaggu Ji, Thanks for the Insulation TIP. I'll do it myself this weekend.
Iceman, Yes its a good idea to get discounts, will check with service guy this time.

Iam thinking of getting my card services outside Hyundai service, is it advisable ?
Old 16th April 2009, 18:35   #15
Team-BHP Support

1) Dont expect miracle changes in cooling
2) DO NOT put undue pressure on the pipes / get sharp objects to puncture it (using scissors to cut excess of insulation)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks