Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 16:11   #1
Team-BHP Support

Sun Protection, without sun film - Options?

In the safari I have noticed that due to a large glasshouse, the sun is a real pain in summers.
Esp during noon, your leg towards the door starts literally burning and ditto for hands.
Unless the sun is dead on top, there is no escape.
So was thinking of the best solution.
I travel to chd frequently, and cops there like making laws on their own, so sun film is out. today they say 30% is okay, tomorrow some crazy will make 0% is okay.
In Delhi people without films have been challaned, the rest said the better.
So I am looking for a good solution
1. Door Visors - These fix with 3M tape on the door. How effective are they? How difficult is it to pull them. In Delhi there are many markets where such things can get "tugged". This is turning me off from that solution
2. Stick on sun screens - These are good and sell pretty cheap at traffic lights, but the problem is they are not 100% effective. They are smaller than the window, and if sun is high up and slightly to the side, enough sunlight filters in from the gaps.
3. Stick with water temporary sun film - This seems to be the best option. However I have never tried this solution,. How good is it? whats the cost. I just need two pieces for front windows. I think a dark temporary film which can be taken off at will is the best option. Anybody used it?
4. Any other option you can recommend.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Use a near-transparent sunfilm all over? Believe it or not, there are sunfilms which have high heat rejection with high VLT as well.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. Door Visors - These fix with 3M tape on the door. How effective are they? How difficult is it to pull them. In Delhi there are many markets where such things can get "tugged". This is turning me off from that solution - Not recommended - if one of them gets stolen,dislodged or broken,it will look odd
2. Stick on sun screens - These are good and sell pretty cheap at traffic lights, but the problem is they are not 100% effective. They are smaller than the window, and if sun is high up and slightly to the side, enough sunlight filters in from the gaps.
3. Stick with water temporary sun film - This seems to be the best option. However I have never tried this solution,. How good is it? whats the cost. I just need two pieces for front windows. I think a dark temporary film which can be taken off at will is the best option. Anybody used it?You can try this but will need to become a fixer everytime cops see you.
4. Any other option you can recommend.
I would suggest SUNGARD 65 tint which is used here as front windscreen film -have installed this on my Versa windows (the old Garware SRC 35 tint had to be removed as cops said it was too dark ). The new film is absolutely clear.Nobody can say that a film has been installed.Heat rejection is fairly good.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

If the Sungard film is 65% has 65% VLT as I guess from the model name, it is below the legal limit. If and when they check it with a meter, you're gonna get it torn off and a chellan written.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:43   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
If the Sungard film is 65% has 65% VLT as I guess from the model name, it is below the legal limit. If and when they check it with a meter, you're gonna get it torn off and a chellan written.
Forget meter. I have been challaned in chd with a film which had almost 90% transperancy.
It was my word against cops. For them its money making, they don't care 10%. 20% etc.,
If somebody can recommend a clear film(which appears as if no film is installed and still has high heat rejection, it will be great.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
65 is what the Sun Film guy had noted on the film roll.But when I look at the vehicle,I can say for sure that it is 70 percent because it looks as though no film has been installed. I know that min 50% VLT for the sides and 70% VLT for the rear windscreen is the rule.

Quote:
Forget meter. I have been challaned in chd with a film which had almost 90% transperancy.
It was my word against cops. For them its money making, they don't care 10%. 20% etc.,
If somebody can recommend a clear film(which appears as if no film is installed and still has high heat rejection, it will be great.
Stock windows on any airconditioned car read 70% VLT min..Such glasses are tinted.Now if cops are going to catch everybody who even installs clear film on these 70% VLT stock glasses,then I give up
Old 20th April 2009, 17:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
V-Kool is the only option for this kind of requirement. It will cost a bomb though for the Safari.
Old 20th April 2009, 17:10   #8
Team-BHP Support

What if I just go for 2 side windows, then it should be pretty cheap, right?
Old 20th April 2009, 17:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Door/window visors are good but have one major safety issue.
Although transparent they restrict vision especially of the A pillar, especially while taking a turn. Not very safe while driving on tight lanes & roads.
V kool treatment for the full Safari glass is 21/27k, if I recollect correctly.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 20th April 2009 at 17:16.
Old 20th April 2009, 17:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Or you can go in for Garware Ice Cool Shield. This film is meant for the front windscreen but I think it can be used on side windows also. This will be a much more VFM option.
Old 20th April 2009, 17:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
In the safari I have noticed that due to a large glasshouse, the sun is a real pain in summers.
Esp during noon, your leg towards the door starts literally burning and ditto for hands....
My wife puts up a hand towel in the space between glass and door so that towel is fixed out there leaving little space so that left side OVRM is visible to me. It works very well on my spark and delhi heat.
Old 20th April 2009, 17:26   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Put a front windscreen film all-around. They are intended solely to cut heat while remaining transparent.
Old 20th April 2009, 17:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Well - If that happenned in chd it won't surprise me. Chd cops are known to harass out of state vehicles. In that case keep a print out of this page -chandigarhtrafficpolice.org/sunfilm.htm

If they still insist on challaning you call up the traffic helpline 1073 and here are a couple of numbers that you can use -
Jasbir Singh Cheema (DCP Traffic) - (0172) 2658504, 9888882304.
H.S. Doon, IPS (SP/Traffic & Security) - (0172) 2749797

Last edited by sonirohit : 20th April 2009 at 17:45.
Old 20th April 2009, 17:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
V-Kool is the only option for this kind of requirement. It will cost a bomb though for the Safari.
+1 to that. It costs 8k for just the front windscreen (discounted ).

Still the best option, though. I've just V Kooled the Defender here at some considerable expense, but its worth it because the a/c on that thing is an afterthought - kind of like the 'manual' mode on my Jag.

Nothing beats V Kool - if you can set aside some serious funds it will be well worth it. Else get V Kool for the front windscreen (because its really big and lets in a lot of light and heat) + front windows (also pretty big - takes as much film as some hatchback windscreens), put 3M clear on the others. Should bring the budget down substantially.

PS: I dont know how true this is but one of the dealers said the large front window glass is nicely curved so it acts like a huge lens, which is why you feel the heat on the your skin exposed to direct sunlight in peak summer even if the rest of your body is cool enough. I thought this was bullshit, though.

Last edited by Steeroid : 20th April 2009 at 17:57.
Old 20th April 2009, 18:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
What if I just go for 2 side windows, then it should be pretty cheap, right?
Won't help in a car, house is fine. as you do not have any preplanned route to travel on in a car, the orientation of the sun during driving and parking is never fixed.

By putting the sun film on just two side windows, you are defeating the purpose of the installation, to avoid heat inside the car, be it the glare or the heat.

I had fixed Garware's transparent sun film on my indica windscreen - it blocked out a heck lot of heat from the windscreen. we had a golden idol on the dash, earlier before the sun film it used to get very hot, so hot that one could not touch the idol by hand. After the sunfilm installation on the Windscreen, it was like the sun was never inside the car.

Only downside I had (used to use specs earlier) is that at night very faint light cannot be seen, there wont be any difference otherwise. Very faint light i mean a hut's light 20kms away from the highway you are driving on.

The front windscreen film came to around 3100 with fixing on the front windscreen (2002) prices.

The ordinary 70% transparency side and rear windscreen film cost 1400/-

This is the day/night tinted glass, my car was golden in colour, the sun film went with it, with a white car you may not like it, you will get silver film which appears reflective in the day, but at night it offers excellent lateral vision in a car.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks