Team-BHP - I think I Screwed up my Swift suspension! Need Help!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   I think I Screwed up my Swift suspension! Need Help! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/57197-i-think-i-screwed-up-my-swift-suspension-need-help.html)

I have a Swift LDI done 5000Km and about a month and a half ago I went over a speed bump quite fast which made the car airborne for a split second and landed quite harshly on the front tires(205 55 R15). Ride has never been the same after that and the suspension is quite wobbly and loud. I mentioned this when I gave the car for servicing and the guy said it was because i changed the wheels and tires and that the suspension needed a little tightening. There was a very minute improvement after this but still the ride was quite horrible and the sounds are still present.

So i was thinking of getting some after market springs and dampers and looking for some recommendations. What would you suggest I get. I have heard a lot of good things about the Koni FSD but not sure if they are available for the Swift. Which would give best balance between handling and comfort? What prices am I looking at?

Thanks in Advance!!

Boss, are you changing the suspension only because you think its damaged? Or is it that you're genuinely interested in a performance modification?

If its the former, think again. The Swift suspension is quite sturdy, and its unlikely that one single bad bump could have ruines the springs and shocks. Get your wheels checked. There could be an out of alignment/balancing issue. If the issue is not with the wheels, go to a MASS and get the suspension checked for bent arms/spring damage.

If you're doing the replacement purely from a performance viewpoint, then try out Bilstein shocks. They will give you the best handling without sacrificing ride quality too much. Petes stocks them in India. Here's the link:

Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited

Quote:

Originally Posted by predatorwheelz (Post 1271567)
. The Swift suspension is quite sturdy, and its unlikely that one single bad bump could have ruines the springs and shocks. Get your wheels checked.

+1 to that. I have experienced this myself. I went over a speed breaker at high speed at one of the TBHP drives, landed, pulled the car over to the side. Checked if there were at any external damaged. None. Had no problem with the ride whatsoever.

Get your setup checked.

PS: After I went over this breaker the wipers were in motion. It was funny at that point of time. :D

Yeah the Swift suspension is quite sturdy. I have had some nasty bumps which made some really horrible sounds. But the suspension has always turned out to be fine in all the service checkups I have done so far.

Diesels have a softer suspension compared to petrol ones. So maybe just stiffening them up a bit might be enough.

Please bear in mind if you are making any aftermarket springs/shocks it might ruin your warranty....

Quote:

Originally Posted by watashi75 (Post 1271649)

Diesels have a softer suspension compared to petrol ones. So maybe just stiffening them up a bit might be enough.

IMHO the diesel variant has stiffer suspension as the engine is heavier.

@above
My experience with the Swift diesel's suspension hasn't been that great. Could be a suspension or alignment problem.

Could you specific the problem in a bit more detail?

Brother get your tyres inspected for bubbles and alloy for bend and get it aligned and balanced again.99% this should sort it out!

I actually want to upgrade to a better suspension eventually and this seems like a perfect time to get that done. Maybe I will get it done after the warranty runs out, so I will get the alignment doneand the wheels checked but I still want to get options on which aftermarket parts are best for the Swift diesel. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKS (Post 1271683)
IMHO the diesel variant has stiffer suspension as the engine is heavier.

IIRC somebody in this forum had mentioned that the diesel has softer suspensions. Cannot imagine a stiffer suspension than my petrol Swift!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan (Post 1271785)
I actually want to upgrade to a better suspension eventually and this seems like a perfect time to get that done. Maybe I will get it done after the warranty runs out, so I will get the alignment doneand the wheels checked but I still want to get options on which aftermarket parts are best for the Swift diesel. Thanks!

5000 kms is way too early for a suspension upgrade. You might as well get your tires and alloys checked.

swift8847: dude it was hilarious to just see the way you were airborne and if i remember correctly it was in excess of 60-80.

Spartan: its not that easy to damage a swift suspension. if i remember right autocar had taken a petrol for the Raid de Himalaya and had broken the rear shocks after close to 2 days of really working it.
best case u have a balancing or a camber problem. check for both. worst case you may have bent one of the arms which a MASS will check for you. which still aint bad. not too much to worry about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by valhallen.282 (Post 1272226)
swift8847: dude it was hilarious to just see the way you were airborne and if i remember correctly it was in excess of 60-80.

:D I remember that!!
Swift suspension can take such jumps with ease.

Konis have just launch FSD for the Swifts, so it might be a good time to upgrade if you want.

Seems like you are just trying to find a reason to get those mod's done! LOL!

First get the alignment checked and wheels checked. Maybe the wheels might be having a bulge or something. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan (Post 1271785)
Maybe I will get it done after the warranty runs out,

If you have opted for the extended warranty, this could be a long wait. In any case this does not sound like damaged suspensions. Probably a wheel issue like others have pointed out.
I drove my old M800 with damaged suspensions for about 1k km. It was not a good ride by any standards, but there were no major issues with wobbliness or noise. The damage occured after I hit a depression in the road on the Blr-Pune highway after Hiriyur at about 110 kph.