Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 12:34   #1
BHPian

Indica DLS 1,00,000 km Service details

Team,
Please find the report on my Indica DLS 1 Lakh servicing. The vehicle has been driven predominantly by me followed by my Wife and by my father in its early days of ownership. It has given faithful service all along and never stranded us on the road in its 98000 kms running so far.

Unfortunately, I haven't kept a detailed log of maintenance of my Indica, but as far as I remember, I haven't done any major repairs in its last 98000 kms. The only major repair and / or replacement work is change in battery - 2 times (2*4000=8000), second time being this February 09 and change tyre set once 9200 (2300*4)(4 tyres, one of the original is Stepny). I got it's AC serviced this Jan09 for 2.5K

I had planned to get following work done during its 1 lakh service

1. Suspension change - all 4 struts. Front were weak and rear were just about OK. But they were not good if I had 3 adults sitting behind.

2. Timing Belt Change - This was mandatory

3. Clutch change - Clutch had not been touched at all till now, not even the clutch cable. I felt reduction in power off late and it was working on my mind to get it changed this time around.

4. The gear lever had a lot of play and I wanted my mechanic to have a look at it.

So, I was eagerly looking forward to completion of 1 lakh kms. However, last Saturday, when I was about to take my Splendour out in the evening, I noticed Pool of Diesel Under Indica and of course strong Diesel smell. When I bent down to see what was the issue, I could see Diesel dripping from one of the nut below.

I immediately called Balaji Garage in Aundh where I have been servicing my Indica for last couple of years. Promptly he dispactched couple of his mechanics and based on initial observation, indicated that the tank needs to be taken out and needs to be welded at certain spots. So they take away Indica. Since, my Indica was anyways going to the garage, it was good enough reason for me to get all the work done that I had planned out for my Indica.

I called up Balaji Garage immediately and spoke to them. Instructed them to check my Indica throughly and prepare a report of what needs to be done for 1 lakh kms service and I would come to the Garage on Monday morning, discuss the same and then they can start their work.

Monday Morning, 20th April, I wen to the garage and they gave their report. They mentioned that front suspension was weak and I need to change the same. Leakage in the power stearing fluid hose and need to change the same. Need to grease rear wheel hubs. B mounting needs to be changed. Timing Belt needs to be changed. Diesel Tank needs welding at leakage points, too much play in the gear shift lever and needs bush kit change there as well.

I mentioned to them about the clutch since he did not mentioned anything about it. I asked him to change. Initially, he said, its on its way out, but doesn't need to be changed immidiately. I asked him to change it anyways. I also asked him to change rear struts though he did not mentioned the same in his initial report. Again, he said, that since I use Indica more for one person and occasionally for the family transport, I can do without changing them for now. However, since anyways I was indulging some heavy expenses, I asked him to change.
Then he mentioned me about gear box overhaul when we were discussing about huge play in the gear shifter lever. He said it would be additional 2K for the same and I agreed.

Well, for 3 days, my Indica stayed at Balaji and they carried out all the agreed work on Suspension, Clutch, Gear box, Diesel Tank, Timing Belt, B mounting Change and Wheel Hub greasing and regular servicing.

The total bill ran upto Rs 24,405/-.

My initial impression on the test drive are as follows:
1. Gear Lever throws are shorter, smoother and more precise . Feel better than the earlier.
2. Overall Vibrations in the cabin are less
3. Ride is more smooth over rough surface
4. Clutch is butter smooth
5. Car is slightly pulling to the right and I need to get that rectified from him. basically, I need to rotate front 2 tyres with each other and I know that will resolve the issue.

I am attaching the details of the bill. I intend to keep my Indica for another 50-75K kms or probably another 2 years and hence, I did not mind putting some extra bucks on this service. I hope with regular servicing at 5K interval, I should be able to keep this car for next 2 years. Currently she gives me 17+kmpl for my daily run and almost 20-21kmpl+ on long drives.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Indica 1 lakh Service details.xls (27.5 KB, 1391 views)
Old 24th April 2009, 13:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

after 75-80K run ,Indicas feel slightly lacking power(source:mechanic).some does engine overhaul if wanted to keep the car for long.
Old 24th April 2009, 16:43   #3
BHPian

Good report Rajesh,

My Indica is also nearing 1 Lakh Kms. I have done most of the service in my 90K service except the struts, Which I plan to change in 1 Lakh.

Did you face any problems with the alternator ?
Old 24th April 2009, 17:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

Good review, though the clutch change was not needed. Indica clutch can last 120K+ with good use.
As for pulling, get camber checked also along with alignment. After suspension jobs camber always goes for a toss, and so does the alignment Best to go to wheel alignment center.

I also have gotten similar stuff done(and some more also) but it cost me less than 10K. The joy of going to an outside mechanic
Old 24th April 2009, 17:29   #5
BHPian

@rkavthekar: Gr8 to hear that your ride has given you excellent service for this long.

Could you please share some of the best practices that you have followed other than taking it for servicing at the manufacturer recommended service intervals?

For Example: How often did you change the engine oil?

I would like my Indica Vista TDi to last that long without troubles and hence the question.

Cheers,
Nitin

Last edited by revhappy : 24th April 2009 at 17:30.
Old 24th April 2009, 23:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since its a DLS. also flush the power steering fluid completely.
Old 25th April 2009, 10:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
Good report Rajesh,

Did you face any problems with the alternator ?
I did have Alternator issue when I got my Indica serviced @90K with Pandit Auto. I got my alternator re serviced with TVS Lucas for around Rs1500. I don't have any issues since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Good review, though the clutch change was not needed. Indica clutch can last 120K+ with good use.
As for pulling, get camber checked also along with alignment. After suspension jobs camber always goes for a toss, and so does the alignment Best to go to wheel alignment center.

I also have gotten similar stuff done(and some more also) but it cost me less than 10K. The joy of going to an outside mechanic
I insisted on Clutch change even when he said its not really due. Anyways, I am feeling good torque when I release clutch without accelarator pressed. That was not there earlier. May be its clutch adjustment and may not necessarily due to new clutch.

I envy you for getting all this work done for 10K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
@rkavthekar: Gr8 to hear that your ride has given you excellent service for this long.

Could you please share some of the best practices that you have followed other than taking it for servicing at the manufacturer recommended service intervals?

For Example: How often did you change the engine oil?

I would like my Indica Vista TDi to last that long without troubles and hence the question.
Nitin, I get my Indica serviced for every 5000 Kms and I change Oil and Oil filter during each servicing. I change Air Filter every 10000kms. I use IFTEX System D every alternate tankful. And most importantly, I use it like a Diesel Vehicle with 52bhp power and not one like a 100+bhp engine diesel vehicle. Indica DLS has its limitations and I try to live within them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Since its a DLS. also flush the power steering fluid completely.
Thanks for the input. I didn't get the power steering fluid flushed. However, since there was a leak in the original hose, I guess, garage changed the hose and topped up the fluid, though I need to recheck with them on the same. The bill doesn't indicate any charge for PS Fluid.

There were 3 purposes for me to put up my earlier post in detail.
1. Other Indica owners benefit from my experience on 1 lakh km service since I did not find similar post when my Indica went in for such a service.
2. Your inputs on what might have missed out will help others to cover up during their servicing
3. Cost estimation with details such as spare part costs and labour charges will definitely help others in planning.

I hope, my thread serves the above purposes for everyone's benefit.
Old 25th April 2009, 13:23   #8
BHPian

Good Review on Indica - rkavthekar. Congratulations on your maintenance . Many people have cribbed about Tata cars and their reliability. Your experience proves that these cars second to none when it comes to reliability.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:31   #9
BHPian

@Prowler, I know there are lot of people who have cribbed about Indicas, but I have got a very good experience on my Indica and hence planning to keep it around for another couple of years. I know that it will not fetch me re sale value, but the fact that car itself has given me last 6 years for excellent service is already a "paisa vasool". For that fact, I have a great respect for the Indicas and my probably next upgrade would be either 7/8 seater vehicle ( Innova / Xylo ) or again a hatch which will be most certainly Vista.

My Indica has taken a lot of abuse due to severe bad road conditions( most of the bhpians in Pune would agree) and the fact that I travel a lot in Konkan area which also have bad roads.

take care and drive safely
Old 27th April 2009, 13:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkavthekar View Post
I did have Alternator issue when I got my Indica serviced @90K with Pandit Auto.

I use it like a Diesel Vehicle with 52bhp power and not one like a 100+bhp engine diesel vehicle.

I feel this the most imp suggestion. Clutch on my DLG Turbo is on its way out at 35K; reason overdriven and abused. but cant resist turbo kickin my behinds . If driven sedately, maintenance cost on Indica is minimal.
Old 27th April 2009, 13:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quite a few 100k Indicas here and a few approaching the figure (hrag, for example). Havent come across an exhaustive report such as this one, though.

These things just keep going on and on...provided one follows sane advice such as

Quote:
And most importantly, I use it like a Diesel Vehicle with 52bhp power and not one like a 100+bhp engine diesel vehicle. Indica DLS has its limitations and I try to live within them.

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th April 2009 at 13:37.
Old 27th April 2009, 13:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I get my Indica serviced for every 5000 Kms and I change Oil and Oil filter during each servicing. I change Air Filter every 10000kms. I use IFTEX System D every alternate tankful. And most importantly, I use it like a Diesel Vehicle with 52bhp power and not one like a 100+bhp engine diesel vehicle. Indica DLS has its limitations and I try to live within them.
I also follow this formula. One more point to add, whenever there is an issue, get it fixed immediatly and if required, replace the defective part instead of getting it repaired.
My Indica is almost there, currently odo reading 96k and most of the things mentioned here have been replaced already. Will create a new thread once 100k Service is done.
Old 27th April 2009, 13:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
I feel this the most imp suggestion. Clutch on my DLG Turbo is on its way out at 35K; reason overdriven and abused. but cant resist turbo kickin my behinds .
I see I'm not the only one with this problem at 21k, and hope my clutch holds up longer
Old 27th April 2009, 14:12   #14
BHPian

Indiac with 200k km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Quite a few 100k Indicas here and a few approaching the figure (hrag, for example). Havent come across an exhaustive report such as this one, though.

These things just keep going on and on...provided one follows sane advice such as

Mate,

My Indica already has covered 200k km, its working satisfactorily.

On avg I get 20 kmpl ( no engine ovehaul has been done yet & yes the trademark v belt noise at start is still there).

Till date my driver had met her with 2 accidents (major) ....after that he was fired.

Only care taken till date is regular oil change after every 10k kms & wheel alignment & balancing ( pls exclude the wear & tear items)

so I think she had paid me back more than I invested.

Cheers
Old 27th April 2009, 15:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I use it like a Diesel Vehicle with 52bhp power and not one like a 100+bhp engine diesel vehicle.

I noticed that everyone uses this quote. Well said Rajesh Kavthekar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks