Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2009, 02:03   #1
BANNED

Rear Engine Mount Bracket for my Type 2 OHC

folks, about a month ago I did something extremely stupid that ended up with me smooching a divider @ 120 kph

after a month of grief, she is finally close to coming home. have a few minor issues that need to be sorted out. it was about one of these that I had a question.
I have attached a photograph of the rear engine mounting bracket [it sits somewhere near the firewall if I got that right]
there is a minor tear in the metal. I was told that attempting to beat it back in place will only serve to mess up its tempering. I want to take no chances and have ordered a new one. problem is that none was readily available.

in the meanwhile, what do you think I would need to take care of if I were to run this bracket? there is a lot of pent up desire in me for the past month and cant wait to take her beyond 200 at the first opportunity.
200 aside, what do you think is the limit for a car running this bracket?
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Engine Mount Bracket for my Type 2 OHC-sp_a0311.jpg  

Last edited by blacmagic : 30th April 2009 at 02:07.
Old 30th April 2009, 16:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

If this bracket is put in as is it could lead to a tear. Sould reccomend not to beat it back in shape instead add an additional piece of metal to support it and have it welded. Make sure the metal used is at least a 4mm bar which is bent in the shape desired to support the existing piece preferably inside the groove if possible.

Would reccomend to order a new one to replace the same as there could be other fracture/weak points that may not be visible.
Old 30th April 2009, 18:03   #3
BANNED

thanks Keshav, Ive decided to wait till a new one arrives. waited for a month, might as well wait a couple of days more. no point ruining all the good work because of a hot head.
Old 30th April 2009, 19:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

can a stock type 2 OHC be taken beyond 200 ? i doubt it
Old 30th April 2009, 19:29   #5
BANNED

no Narayan. a stock OHC cant.
Old 1st May 2009, 12:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

And even if it could be, I don't think the end outcome would all that good
Old 1st May 2009, 14:05   #7
BANNED

Pranav, I have already done so once and the only outcome has been me wanting to do that again.
check out my garage for more. next pic will be of all needles pushed to their stops.
Old 1st May 2009, 14:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

You've crashed into a divider at 120, suffered through what seems like a long repair period. Now you want to do it again?

Take the hint that fate has given you. Next time, he won't be so forgiving.
Old 1st May 2009, 14:53   #9
BANNED

oh no Immortal, I crashed after I blacked out after doing something that if I mention here will be sanitized under Rule 11.
this time, it will be Red Bull in my system and a long straight level empty road. my car was built for that. already did so once but this time, I want to repeat it and photograph it. would make a nice desktop wallpaper.

Last edited by blacmagic : 1st May 2009 at 14:55.
Old 1st May 2009, 15:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
Pranav, I have already done so once and the only outcome has been me wanting to do that again.
check out my garage for more. next pic will be of all needles pushed to their stops.
Nothing in your garage!

Coming back to your question - Why do you want to use the broken/damaged engine mount anyway? It's not an expensive piece that you can not replace. Repairing this can cause trouble in future.

Besides, not sure if the engine vibrations can be avoided with a repaired mount.
Old 1st May 2009, 16:05   #11
BANNED

Ankit, nothing in my garage?? here: 2001 OHC "The Wraith" - blacmagic's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

if you mean you didnt find a writeup, yeah. Im too bushed to collect my thoughts at present. check out the comments.

thing is, after the engine bay is restored, the car will be painted for 5 days at a different place. just wanted to be able to roll her there. there is NO WAY Im running that damaged bracket in the long term. anyway I have ordered a new one and it should be here by Monday at worst.
Old 1st May 2009, 16:12   #12
BHPian

My bad

I clicked on the "View Profile" tab and there is no link to your garage on that page.

No limiter?
Old 1st May 2009, 16:15   #13
BANNED

it's limited at 7500. can theoretically be revved over 8500 but did this to protect my investment.
Old 5th May 2009, 00:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
I was talking about a stock OHC not being suitable for a 200kph run. Stock tyres, stock brakes and all.
Old 5th May 2009, 09:38   #15
BANNED

sorry Pranav, my bad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks