Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2009, 10:33   #1
BHPian

Starter/Solenoid problem M800

Hi Guys,
My car is giving starting problems. It was running just fine till yesterday. It was not cranking only today morning. I checked all lights, horn, indicators. Everything is working fine. So I guess it has to be starter/solenoid. Is my conclusion right? If yes, any idea how much does it cost to repair/replace it?
Thanks!
Old 5th May 2009, 13:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

Shipnil,

If you're lucky - its only a relay that has stopped working, or the solenoid for the starter motor is just stuck.

When you turn the key do you hear a tak-tak noise coming from the starter motor solenoid (in the engine bay, near the flywheel) ?

- If this is the case then the solenoid might be stuck. Sometimes a whack with a rubber mallet is enough to free it.

If theres no tak-tak from there, is there a click coming from the relay box?

- If there is no click coming from the relay box, chances are the relay is bust and it needs to be replaced.

Also try putting the car in gear and pushing it forwards/backwards a little and then try again for what its worth.

cya
R

PS - Also see this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-problem.html

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th May 2009 at 13:46.
Old 6th May 2009, 10:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Hi Guys,
My car is giving starting problems. It was running just fine till yesterday. It was not cranking only today morning. I checked all lights, horn, indicators. Everything is working fine. So I guess it has to be starter/solenoid. Is my conclusion right? If yes, any idea how much does it cost to repair/replace it?
Thanks!
Shipnil, The solenoid shoud cost you around Rs 650 & if its the Starter motor (which is also called a Self) would cost you around Rs 2500.
Old 12th May 2009, 11:57   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys for the replies. The car used to start without any touch up on one day and would not on another. As I was little busy, I couldn't take it to any mechanic. This went on for about 4/5 day until one day, I opened up the bonnet to see if I can figure out anything. Tried to locate the starter motor and voila, a connector was loosely touching the pin. It was the power supply that had come lose and hence the motor couldn't kick in at the turn of key. I fixed that and the car is starting fine now.
Old 18th May 2009, 17:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. The car used to start without any touch up on one day and would not on another. As I was little busy, I couldn't take it to any mechanic. This went on for about 4/5 day until one day, I opened up the bonnet to see if I can figure out anything. Tried to locate the starter motor and voila, a connector was loosely touching the pin. It was the power supply that had come lose and hence the motor couldn't kick in at the turn of key. I fixed that and the car is starting fine now.
Wow so much for a simple problem. Anyways, Alls well that ends well Keep Revving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks