Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2011, 08:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Help needed with Indica fuel pump

Hi

Me being a authorized Delphi-TVS (Lucas- TVS) Fuel injection workshop would like to advice to fellow TBHPians regarding Indica Fuel pump.
  1. The pump should give trouble free service for about 1lakh kms.
  2. If you find problems like low pick up, FE etc before 1lakh please check the fuel lines. airfilter, diesel filter, Fuel tank and the pipe lines.
  3. Servicing of Fuel Injection pump should cost ou around Rs4k.
  4. If major overhaul required (mostly in cases of starting trouble) then the cost could go to about Rs12k.
  5. The cat. Con. into your exhaust system plays a very important role if you have low pickup or thick black smoke. Have it cleaned frequently. Your have to remove the exhaust pipe completely remove all the three muflers ou of which the first one from the engine is the CAT.
  6. Use genuine diesel filters and yes remember the almighty whenever you top up your tank, Indica fuel injection pump should give you a trouble free service for a long long time.
You are always welcome if you have any querries regarding the FIP.
CRDIsamir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2011, 16:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tips, @CRDIsamir

My Vista TDi is at the service station because of black smoke, and TASS have said that they have to sent the FIP to TVS service center to check the FIP.

I have asked them to clean the fuel lines and cat. con. Will update you and ask your opinions when I get updates from TASS.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2011, 15:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Off-Topic
@CRDIsamir
Are you from the same workshop which is on Miraj-Solapur Road?

I was been cheated by this worksop in June 2008.
I went there to get the FIP Recalibrated but they did not do anything other than removing and refitting the FIP charging me Rs. 5000-6000/-.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2011, 12:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

After almost 1 week with TASS, today I have got a call saying that my car will be ready by evening. TASS sent the FIP to the Palakkad TVS unit to get it serviced and the guys at Palakkad said they are in shortage of some spare parts and took one day to get it from Coimbatore branch.

I asked TASS what part is being replaced in the FIP but they said that the TVS guys will not disclose it since the repair is done under warranty - I am not ready to believe this, and plan to ask the TASS to show the bill which they get from TVS when they received the FIP back.

The TASS guys have been prompt with the updates and I hope we will get the car today evening.
Old 1st April 2011, 10:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Got the car yesterday evening. The bill from TVS says Fuel pump servicing. According to SA, the TVS guys lost a pin while servicing the FIP and since they did not have that part in stock, had to get it from Coimbatore.

TASS have cleaned up the fuel injectors, fuel lines and Catalytic converter.

My dad picked up the car, and he said the car pulls much cleanly now, and feels more peppy. There is no black smoke coming from exhaust now.

Since he reached there just before the job was finished, they did not get time to get the car washed - he forgot to remove all the personal belongings from the car, but everything was at place - even the loose change we keep for the odd toll booth were still there. I know it is not a good practice to leave the car with all the personal belongings, but I am really happy that all the belongings are really safe (we gave the car at a TASS near our home and they took the car to their main TASS to get the problem fixed, and we took the delivery from the main office).
Old 1st April 2011, 15:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
Hi

Me being a authorized Delphi-TVS (Lucas- TVS) Fuel injection workshop would like to advice to fellow TBHPians regarding Indica Fuel pump.

Hi,

can you elaborate how to troubleshoot the fuel lines. is there any procedure or tests to check the fuel lines.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBG_Evo View Post
Indica gets 2 different pumps??

What I spoke about was the 255 lph, which is a high pressure pump. Sorry about the confusion!
did you try this additional fuel pump in your car. if so please tell us more regarding installation of the pump.

thanks

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by noopster : 2nd February 2012 at 09:56.
Old 1st April 2011, 17:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms View Post
Hi,

can you elaborate how to troubleshoot the fuel lines. is there any procedure or tests to check the fuel lines.

thanks
Hello

Remove the fuel lines completely incuding the Diesel Filter Assy and the fuel Tank from the veshicle. Inspect the lines visually for minor cracks and rust. There are a couple of rubber coatings in the metal pipes especially at the bends. Look very carefully below the rubber coatings as there is a possiblity of water getting inside there and rusting the pipe.

Check for the dents on the fuel tanks especially the place where there is the fuel outlet.

Wash and clean the fuel tank and very important dry the tank completely. Best way is to keep the tank in sun.

Assemble the fuel tank and pipes

Check the fuel filter assy.

Remove the Hand primer and fill in diesel in the cavity where the hand primer fits. Make sure that the fuel level is maintained in the cavity. If the level drops you may have to replace the filter head.

Check the hand primer for proper suction. Reassemble the filter assy. and fit it on the vehicle.

I recommend this excersice once in one lakh kms.

Regards
CRDIsamir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 09:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBG_Evo View Post
Try looking for an aftermarket one. We use Warlbro 255 lph pumps and only cost us $100 with the installation KIT. Im sure u'll find something out there!
Hey friend,

can you tell me is there is an outlet in india to buy the Warlbro 255 lph pump. and do inform us which all model vehicles this can be used.

thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 00:30   #24
rkw
BHPian

I have a 2001 Indica DLS, 75000km. Pick up is very poor especially with AC. TASC advises for Fuel Injection Pump (FIP) service costing around Rs.12000/-. After going through some of the posts here, took the car to Delphi-TVS service centre. Asked them to clean the injectors and adjust FIP timing but they too advised me to service the pump. Approx. cost given as Rs.5000-7000. The mechanic there told that poor pickup is due to pump fault. Clogged injectors would have resulted in misfire.
-Now, I would like to know what exactly is done in FIP servicing considering the high charges.
-How to find out the make of FIP? (Make can be clearly seen on filters but not on FIP)
-Is it OK to go for FIP servicing? (Pick in AC worsens with prolonged/continuous running. Mechanic indicated that may be rotor needs replacement incurring additional Rs.5000).So will opening up the pump lead to "frying pan to fire" situation?
Old 27th December 2011, 13:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
I have a 2001 Indica DLS, 75000km. Pick up is very poor especially with AC. TASC advises for Fuel Injection Pump (FIP) service costing around Rs.12000/-. After going through some of the posts here, took the car to Delphi-TVS service centre. Asked them to clean the injectors and adjust FIP timing but they too advised me to service the pump. Approx. cost given as Rs.5000-7000. The mechanic there told that poor pickup is due to pump fault. Clogged injectors would have resulted in misfire.
-Now, I would like to know what exactly is done in FIP servicing considering the high charges.
-How to find out the make of FIP? (Make can be clearly seen on filters but not on FIP)
-Is it OK to go for FIP servicing? (Pick in AC worsens with prolonged/continuous running. Mechanic indicated that may be rotor needs replacement incurring additional Rs.5000).So will opening up the pump lead to "frying pan to fire" situation?
Just an humble suggestion, try system D for a couple of tankfuls before you proceed to spend your money. Also just for information when did you last replace your diesel filter & air filter? low pickup can be the result of number of reasons, important to know the cause, more likely than not FIP is last thing in the chain.
Old 27th December 2011, 21:04   #26
rkw
BHPian

@cyberwhizs- I have bought systemD yesterday.Will try it first before FIP service. All filters are changed as per service recommendations in manual. Air filter changed 20000km ago. Change due after 20000km more. But will be changing it in next service. Both fuel filters changed around 3000km before.
Old 28th December 2011, 13:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
@cyberwhizs- I have bought systemD yesterday.Will try it first before FIP service. All filters are changed as per service recommendations in manual. Air filter changed 20000km ago. Change due after 20000km more. But will be changing it in next service. Both fuel filters changed around 3000km before.
Change the air filter or atleast get it cleaned. Open the airfilter box, takeout the filter and tap it on the ground a few times. 20000Km is way too long an interval. I usually get it replaced every 10000km , it doesnt cost much, it is around 250 - 300 Rs if i remember correctly.
It will take around 100 km of driving to start experiencing system D effects and usually after two tankfull you will feel the full difference.
Old 1st February 2012, 22:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:

As you are aware that the FIP is like a heart of a diesel engine. It supplies metered quantity of diesel at the precise time to the engine cylinders. The FIP does need some attention and care for trouble free performance. The most basic thing is to use proper filters.

Now how to make out that the FIP particularly in Indica needs servicing and calibration ?

Check for the following.
1. Low pickup: Open the bonnet. accelerate the engine by moving the accelerator on the FIP. If you observe that the engine RPM increases after a gap of about 2to3 cms then you may require to calibrate the pump. You can try this with acc. lever from inside the car as well. Youcan feel that the acc. pedal is going blank for a few cms.
2. Raise the engine to about 3000rpm. keep the engine running at that rpm. If the exhaust starts emitting blue-white smoke along with misfiring then it is time to check for pump to engine timing or the calibration of the FIP.
3. Regular complaints like lack of pickup or fuel consumption or starting trouble.

What exactly is done in FIP servicing and calibration.

Tata Indica is fitted with FIP & injectors made by Delphi-TVS. While servicing the FIP the regular gasket kit which consists of various rubber rings, washers and oilseals. Along with this it requires a part called Blade & Liner. This part is very important and plays a major role in the performance of your vehicle.
After the assembly the pump is fitted on the testbench and calibrated for the various parameters like autoadvance, full load, antistall, idling & starting. This gives you the condition of the Head & Rotor you mentioned. The head & rotor needs to be replaced generally only in case of starting trouble otherwise all the complaints are solved by proper calibtration and timing the pump on the engine.

Generally the cost of regular servicing and calibration as mentioned above should cost between Rs3500-Rs4000. If head and rotor is required the cost of the head & rotor will be about Rs7500/- inaddition to the cost of servicing & calibration.

Regards
Old 2nd February 2012, 00:21   #29
rkw
BHPian

Thanks cyberwhizs & crdisamir
--I have put systemD for the 2nd time today. Let me see whether any drastic improvement takes place.
--Got the air and fuel filters changed.
1.@crdisamir- Acc. pedal going blank happens only with AC on. Otherwise, no complaint with pickup considering that torque is only 87 Nm.
2.There are no instances of misfire or smoke.
3.No starting trouble too.
That is why I am hesitant to open the pump. So if I decide not to use AC in traffic/short runs, then is it ok to leave the pump as it is?
Old 2nd February 2012, 08:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks cyberwhizs & crdisamir
--I have put systemD for the 2nd time today. Let me see whether any drastic improvement takes place.
--Got the air and fuel filters changed.
1.@crdisamir- Acc. pedal going blank happens only with AC on. Otherwise, no complaint with pickup considering that torque is only 87 Nm.
2.There are no instances of misfire or smoke.
3.No starting trouble too.
That is why I am hesitant to open the pump. So if I decide not to use AC in traffic/short runs, then is it ok to leave the pump as it is?

Hi

If there is no starting trouble of any sorts. just get the FIP calibrated and you will feel the difference in the performance of your vehicle. The acc. lever going blank is a sign of pump getting weak. Now it is only showing when the A/c is working. Later it will also show its effect without A/c as well.

Thanks & regards

Samir

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks