Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2005, 10:15   #16
BHPian

The best part of it all is that I got a Maruti serviceman to come over to my house in the morning and check out my car. He heard the noise and immediately said ``5th gear noise, sir. Happens in some cars.'' Serveral of the service supervisors and mechanics said the same thing. Astonishing people they are. Maruti thinks people are fools to accept that a screeching noise is normal.
Old 3rd June 2005, 12:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Astonishing people they are. Maruti thinks people are fools to accept that a screeching noise is normal.
That's the sad part. To them even a problem is normal. Instead of rectifying it, they just accept it as part of the deal. Has even one person recomended any sollutions?

Shan2nu
Old 3rd June 2005, 13:46   #18
BHPian

No concrete solution yet. I take the car to them. They claim they check everything. It comes back with the same noise. However, the noise does not come everyday.
I do not run the car much. Will that have anything to do with this?
Old 19th July 2007, 23:06   #19
BHPian

Super old thread. But appears of interest to me, now that I too have an Alto Lxi.

So What's the update brother?
Old 20th July 2007, 17:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi vivek...Even i own 2006 Alto...I had a similar problem what you are facing after my 1st service itself,its due the belt that get slips when ever you crank the engine and later you will never hear the sound.get your belt checked.definitely your problem will get rectified.

folks correct if i'm wrong.
Old 20th July 2007, 22:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Pour some water on the belt which u think makes the noise.If the noise goes away then its the belt.
Old 20th July 2007, 22:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

This is a common and known issue with most Altos. I had it too. Like Humyum said, just pour a little water when the belt is in motion. The V Belt used is not of a great quality. Thought it was Fenner. I am not able to make out the name on the belt.

A service guy used a crowbar and shook the engine a little and it never occured again.
Old 10th August 2007, 14:10   #23
BHPian

Ancient thread, by my 2 cents... I own a 2001 Alto Vxi & had this problem of a shrill, shrieking noise on startup - which usually stopped of it's own accord within a minute or so. It was an intermittent embarrassment, to say the least ! On calling the attention of the dealership to this problem, they resolved the problem by tightening the alternator belt...
Old 30th November 2010, 10:00   #24
BHPian

strange noise at startup

I'm bumping up an old thread but this morning when i started my baleno(it's pretty cold these days) I had a similar metallic krrrr krrr sound which seemed to be coming from the gearbox side and when clutch is depressed the sound goes and after running for a km or so the sound went away, what could be the issue? the same as the thread starter's, the '5th gear not engaging' thing or it could be sign of worse things to come?

I've never had these issues in past and have changed gearoil around 9 months back. The gear shifts were smooth, i suspected some leakage of oil though that doesn't seem to be the case, incidently the gearbox is all smudged with oil/grease(what could be the reason for it and is it normal?)
Old 13th January 2011, 16:35   #25
BHPian

Re: My screeching Alto

hello all,
I have a problem on my Alto that i have not yet been able to diagnose. This problem is nothing to do with the original poster's problem, but i am still adding my question here as this is related to squealing sounds.

The problem is that there is a squealing sound from the tyres for the first few minutes of driving. It seems to be from the rear tyres - although i could be mistaken. After a few minutes of driving, there is no more noise. However, when parked, and taken out again (within minutes of parking), the squeal is again present - but this is most prominent in the mornings when the car is taken out for the first time.

Please note, that this problem has nothing to do with the engine - the sounds come up only when moving the car. I suspect some kind of a brake-related problem, although both the main brake and parking brakes are working fine right now.

Any ideas?
Old 14th January 2011, 19:09   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
The problem is that there is a squealing sound from the tyres for the first few minutes of driving. It seems to be from the rear tyres
Your handbrake / rear drum brakes are getting jammed. Get them opened & lubricated. You should be all set.
Old 25th January 2011, 13:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your handbrake / rear drum brakes are getting jammed. Get them opened & lubricated. You should be all set.
It was the hand brake. The cable was removed and lubricated, and in the process there was a small leak from the brake cylinder seal. The seals were replaced for that too.

In the process met BHPian Shankar.balan - In case you see this - nice meeting you buddy!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks