Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2021, 14:32   #421
BHPian

Re: Tips on driving an Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
My current ride is 10 speed Endeavour, and learning the impact of throttle on gear shifts is an interesting aspect that I am experiencing. Few things that I am still learning -
1. Being linear and possibly gentler in pressing the throttle
2. Understanding when the car upshits and slightly releasing the throttle to allow it do so
3. Using the downshifts well for quick acceleration / overtaking bit not releasing the throttle midway to prevent the car from upshifting!
Although I have never driven an automatic car, but I don't think one needs to release the throttle when car shifts gears. The ECU should cut off power during shifting.
Old 3rd December 2021, 14:45   #422
BHPian

As a new driver who is learning to drive through a motor training school, I am going through what I believe what all inexperienced drivers / first timers go through..
  • Car Stalling when starting from total stop as I released clutch too soon. Even after 15 days of training, it is still happening with me sometimes.
  • Stalling when unable to pickup speed on slight incline, from dead stop. Trainer did tell me to bring clutch and brakes in one level and if need give the accelerator too.

My driving apart from the above 2 issues is fine I feel.

Now I have booked the S-Presso AMT as we always wanted automatic only. For the first problem, since I would be driving AMT, should I not worry about it as I expect the auto clutch to do everything?

Coming to the 2nd problem of starting on inclines, is there a proper technique I should be following? Also, I have observed that there are slight inclines near some signals which I never realized when walking same roads, is that technique needed there too or just just accelerating in an AMT (and releasing brakes) will work?
Old 10th December 2021, 13:37   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajnya View Post
My personal experience is that automatics are as good or bad as manuals. Both the legs can become numb if they are kept in the same position for long.
ATs definitely reduce the strain of driving compared to Manuals, but as I mentioned earlier here, in certain situations ATs also have issues. I have seen that while driving in B2B traffic, the constant shifting of right leg between B & A pedals leads to pain in the right leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
There are users around here who drives an automatic with both their feet (left foot for braking and right foot for accelerating) and at the same time, they are able to drive a manual transmission car in the same old traditional way.
Braking and Acceleration being an either-or case, it would be wrong practice to use different legs for the 2 pedals. Be it AT or Manual, it's best to use only the right leg for this function. And safe too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Now I have booked the S-Presso AMT as we always wanted automatic only. For the first problem, since I would be driving AMT, should I not worry about it as I expect the auto clutch to do everything?

Coming to the 2nd problem of starting on inclines, is there a proper technique I should be following? Also, I have observed that there are slight inclines near some signals which I never realized when walking same roads, is that technique needed there too or just just accelerating in an AMT (and releasing brakes) will work?
With an AMT (or any AT), you need not worry about both issues (stalling in gear or going up an incline). What you need to be careful about is reversing into an incline. Driving my sister's DzireAMT, I noticed that the creep/bite seen in 1st gear isn't there in Reverse gear - so unless you give slight acceleration, the car will by aid of gravity slide backwards.
Old 4th January 2022, 13:18   #424
BHPian

Dear Bhpians,
I’d like to bring your attention and advice about this issue we faced on a recent road trip to Wagamon. Our gang was driving Baleno CVT and Baleno MT. The trip was pleasant and uneventful until we drove uphill. But in the downhill, my friend who drove CVT Baleno had to stop two times due to loss of bite of brakes (typical overheating issue) and had to wait for quite some time for cooling the brakes. The first time he had to stop the car using handbrakes, which was scary. As per him, MID also showed some warnings related to brakes.

He was continuously driving in L mode (didn’t use D mode) but did not get enough engine braking and had to extensively use brakes due to pathetic road conditions, heavy traffic (new year day), and steep inclines. Even in L mode, the car behaved almost like D mode touching speeds of 40-50Kmph seamlessly in those steep inclines. Other than using L mode, we couldn’t figure out any other options which could be logically used in this situation. Is this quite normal downhill for a CVT without hill descent control? We felt this very awkward for a modern car. ( I couldn’t click pictures, take videos or get a hands-on car during this event as we were driving much ahead of this car)

Your inputs on how to smartly mitigate this issue will be of great help.Thanks in advance.
5252rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 16:51   #425
BHPian

Re: Making your Automatic transmission dance to your tune

I am planning to go for an automatic car.
I don't want to compromise on driveability in highways while overtaking and in hilly areas. Can manual mode in AMT match the pure manual in highways and solve the issues of pure automatic mode ?
Old 8th February 2022, 10:40   #426
Senior - BHPian

Re: Making your Automatic transmission dance to your tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5252rpm View Post
But in the downhill, my friend who drove CVT Baleno had to stop two times due to loss of bite of brakes (typical overheating issue) and had to wait for quite some time for cooling the brakes.
Many years ago, we did a trip each to the Idukki high range & Wayanad hill stations respectively, in our A-Star_AT that was fully loaded with folks & luggage. During descent, I occasionally used the lowest L & 2 gears. Never did I experience brake heating or loss of braking. But then it's a Torque Convertor automatic, unlike the Baleno which is CVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5252rpm View Post
Even in L mode, the car behaved almost like D mode touching speeds of 40-50Kmph seamlessly in those steep inclines.
L in Baleno-CVT is I assume the lowest gear & I doubt that gear has a range of even 40 (let alone 50kmph) in Baleno1.2 - so the only possibility is gravity on descent increasing the speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sany0023 View Post
I am planning to go for an automatic car.
I don't want to compromise on driveability in highways while overtaking and in hilly areas. Can manual mode in AMT match the pure manual in highways and solve the issues of pure automatic mode ?
You need to do testDrives of all shortlisted cars & come to a decision. I have driven TC, CVT & AMT cars and I wouldn't buy an AMT - could be different for you.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 11:13   #427
BHPian

Dear members,

While using auto hold function, the brakes light lights up which indicates that the brakes are on. So does it mean that while auto hold is very convenient, it can be equally bad for the brakes? We do not keep the car in Drive (D) mode and auto hold combination for too long. If the wait time is more than 10-15 seconds, Neutral (N) mode and auto hold is the usual combination for us, sometimes we even use EPB when the wait time is in minutes.

My question is - does auto hold, regardless of the car being in N or D mode, put extra pressure on the brakes?

PS: Car in question - Creta 1.5 petrol IVT.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 22nd May 2022 at 11:15.
Old 19th July 2022, 11:42   #428
BHPian

Hello members,
I have question on a driving aspect in automatic cars. I own a Sonet AT and have come from a manual car. I usually have the habit of coasting the vehicle i.e. Will accelerate to a required speed and allow the car to move in inertia. But with Sonet i see a behaviour that the car starts to downshift when my leg is not on the pedal for 2-3 sec. This is annoying because the unnecessarily downshift decelerating it and has a huge impact on FE.
Has some one else faced similar issues with an AT or is this something to be expected.
As a workaround I use the manual mode, and in this mode the car does not downshift so early.
Old 19th July 2022, 12:29   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeeshaan007 View Post
Hello members,
I have question on a driving aspect in automatic cars. I own a Sonet AT and have come from a manual car. I usually have the habit of coasting the vehicle i.e. Will accelerate to a required speed and allow the car to move in inertia. But with Sonet i see a behaviour that the car starts to downshift when my leg is not on the pedal for 2-3 sec. This is annoying because the unnecessarily downshift decelerating it and has a huge impact on FE.
Has some one else faced similar issues with an AT or is this something to be expected.
As a workaround I use the manual mode, and in this mode the car does not downshift so early.
You are not alone. I have the same habit of coasting and I have seen similar behavior of downshift happen in XUV700 as well. I have not tried moving to the manual mode and may try it sometime later.
normaltusker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 12:36   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaltusker View Post
You are not alone. I have the same habit of coasting and I have seen similar behavior of downshift happen in XUV700 as well. I have not tried moving to the manual mode and may try it sometime later.
Do you own a diesel or a petrol XUV?
I own a petrol and coasting works well with the engine. I don't depress accelerator continuously and take off my foot regularly. Car continues to coast in the same gear. Have done this only on highways though.

Last edited by StepUP! : 19th July 2022 at 12:39.
Old 19th July 2022, 12:38   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Do you own diesel or petrol XUV?
I own a petrol and coasting works well with the engine. I don't depress accelerator continuously and take off my foot regularly and car continues to coast in the same gear.
It's a diesel. Works fine on Highway when you are above 50 KMPH. However, city driving it really starts downshifting. You can give it a try on an empty road with no music. You will be able to see the RPMs go up and even the engine get gruff.
Old 22nd December 2022, 21:36   #432
BHPian

My first auto - need tips please!

I’ve driven extensively and clock 20000-30000 km a year. I’ve always had manuals and have managed to keep the engine and clutch in top shape over 10s of 1000s of km. My last car - The Honda WRV did 82000 km, didn’t require a clutch overhaul with quite a bit of clutch life left, and many people who came to buy the car commented on how well the engine was ans was actually feeling like it had been driven much less. I’d easily juice 18+ in city, with lows of 16ish if the traffic was particularly bad.

I’ve just bought a Taigun 1.5 GT with the DSG gear box. Got delivery yesterday.

Could I have some tips on how to drive autos please?

When I am at a signal, is it best to go to neutral or stay in drive with the brakes on?

My Volkswagen app is screaming that I accelerate to hard, when I don’t think I am doing so. How do I keep that in check?

Any tips on driving an auto - best driving practices, tips on how to extend / maintain life of the gears, etc. would be much appreciated!
Old 23rd December 2022, 07:37   #433
BHPian

Re: My first auto - need tips please!

I think you definitely need to shift to N at traffic stops, especially a dual-clutch like DSG. Otherwise, it keeps running and will give up earlier.

Acceleration is something that you will figure out with time, just avoid standing on the pedal - let it slowly build up revs - you will realize that the speed gain is the same.

T
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 08:05   #434
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Shifting to neutral is the only way you are going to increase the life of your clutch. Most drivers who shift to automatics tend to accelerate way too hard. You will learn soon
rajeevsulu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 08:15   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Any tips on driving an auto - best driving practices, tips on how to extend / maintain life of the gears, etc. would be much appreciated!
Here you go: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...automatic.html (Tips on driving an Automatic)
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks