Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 18:50   #1
BHPian

Baleno - Brakes

Hey Guys,
I have been a happy Baleno owner for the last 3years. Now with a 47,000odd kilometers on the dial. Loved the car for the engine the way it put put down the power and other stuff.

But now i have had a problem .The problem is with the brakes. I feel the lack of bite and the car tends to skid through even when you brake at a very slow speed of 30KMPH. If i have bring down the speed to say 10 or 20 i have to floor the brakes like a sudden brake. This problem has been there for the last 2 months. But i just managed using.

I went to Kapico Motors ( I got the car from them ) last month. I told them that i have brake problem , it feels like it lacks bite. The service guy or what ever he is called took my car for a spin. I was in the car. The way he drove the was like hit 80kmph and do a sudden brake. Then he told me the brake seems fine maybe it just need a bit of a adjustment or something.
I basicaly hate this service adviser cause the last time he took my car for service the car felt like it lacked pickup. When i told him he hit a 100kmph on a open road and said the car is fine. The way he made the hundred was by hitting the rev limiter. This is not the kind of way i like to see pickup. Then in the next service another service advicer rectified this problem.

Now when i asked him about the price of the brakes he made some calls and told me the entire brake will cost me 14000rs. He told me that the parts are not available and it has to ordered to get it.

I just left them at that. Today i went to mechanic who one of my friends recommended. He checked the brake pads and told me that it cost 3800rs for the pads. But he said that there might be some problem with the cylinder cause the pressure seems to be less.
He said that the brake pads are not available as of now. But he will get them for me in a weeks time and change it. He told me the present brake pads are just usable for another 1000 to 2000kms.

Then he asked me if i had a problem like brake pedal going in more than usual or like when i was holding the pedal it suddenly went inside. I said yes cause i have been having this issue since the day i got the car. He told me that the brake pedal goes in more than usual only when there is week brake cylinder. He told me it is adviced to change the cylinder as well and it will cost 6000rs and above which he was not sure of.

I have had this issue with the brakes for a very long time. I have reported this to Kapico Motors service personel many times. They told that it happens when the engine is slowing down a few revs it tends to happen.
This answer puzzled me. They told me that brake cylinder is connected to engine in some way which i dint understand. I reported this in the warranty period. So with the answer i just left it at that.

Now it seems to me that i have had this brake cylinder issue since the day i bought the car.

I dont feel like fighting with them for the issue as well. Cause this talking aint going to work.

I would like to know is changing the brake cylinder 10000 or above is the correct price or the company price of 14000rs.

Is there any other solution like performance brakes or something since the parts are also not readily available.

Please advice
Old 18th May 2009, 21:08   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyrulez View Post

I have had this issue with the brakes for a very long time. I have reported this to Kapico Motors service personel many times. They told that it happens when the engine is slowing down a few revs it tends to happen.
This answer puzzled me. They told me that brake cylinder is connected to engine in some way which i dint understand. I reported this in the warranty period. So with the answer i just left it at that.

Now it seems to me that i have had this brake cylinder issue since the day i bought the car.

I dont feel like fighting with them for the issue as well. Cause this talking aint going to work.

I would like to know is changing the brake cylinder 10000 or above is the correct price or the company price of 14000rs.

Is there any other solution like performance brakes or something since the parts are also not readily available.

Please advice
Even if you get performance brakes and stuff, you will need to rely on the stock master cylinder setup that came with the car to build up hydraulic pressure. The brake booster utilizes engine vacuum to decrease the load on the pedal. This can be felt by pumping the brake many times when the engine is off until the pedal becomes hard. With an effective booster developing full vacuum, your brake pedal should sink easily as the engine starts again. Try if it does.

The best advice is consult another technician before finalizing on a replacement.
Old 18th May 2009, 21:28   #3
BHPian

I believe your booster could be the least of your worries. It might be but I would keep it for the last.

1. Check the condition of the brake pads. I would say its time to change them. Orginal SGP pads will cost you 2800INR, this has been verified around 4 months back from two maruti parts suppliers. It should be the same price now.

2. Inspect your rotors, there should be no scoring, or grooving and it should be withing recommended thickness. If its scored, maybe you can face it in a lathe or CNC machine.

3. Sponginess of brakes could be air bubble or old brake fluid issues. Bleed the brakes, put in new brake fluid. You can try Dot 4 or Dot 5.1 brake fluid.

4. There is a way to check booster if good or not. If the booster diaphram is broken then you can check for oil inside the booster. Get a maruti trained technician to do this.

I think 1,2,3 should solve your issues. For performance brakes, there is solution of better brake pads which will solve only issue 1. Pads cost around 7k so its an expensive option.

I would recommend, new SGP pads, complete change of brake fluid. Then take a call.
Old 18th May 2009, 22:31   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the reply guys.
Will try them out and let you know. I think i will keep the changing of the booster to last resort.

i will try changing the oil and put in new brake pads.

One more thing i had changed the cars rear right brake cylinder around 8months ago.
Could that be a reason for the problem of any sort.
Old 19th May 2009, 11:24   #5
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i had changed the cars rear right brake cylinder around 8months ago.
Could that be a reason for the problem of any sort.
Its highly unlikely that this is the reason. The problem is with the front brakes for sure based on what you mentioned.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 19th May 2009, 11:34   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Mohit, I remember getting the brake pads changed for 1300 including labour. This was about a year back.
Old 19th May 2009, 14:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been a happy Baleno owner for the last 3years. Now with a 47,000odd kilometers on the dial.

But now i have had a problem .The problem is with the brakes. I feel the lack of bite and the car tends to skid through even when you brake at a very slow speed of 30KMPH.
Buddy, are you on your first set of tyres? What is the condition of those? The skidding could be due to old worn out tyres.
Old 19th May 2009, 15:07   #8
BHPian

Rahul, I checked in January man, SGP was 2700 bucks. Rear brake shoes are around 900 bucks so front SGP will be only 1300?
Old 19th May 2009, 15:42   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Rahul, I checked in January man, SGP was 2700 bucks. Rear brake shoes are around 900 bucks so front SGP will be only 1300?
Mohit, I remember very well. The front brake pads were around 1300. Have to look through my auto card statement. But I am sure it wasn't more than the amount I have mentioned. Yeah, they were SGP. I threw the box away just recently with the old brake pads in them.
Old 19th May 2009, 15:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

I too have heard that it is 1300 for brake pads to be changed including labour. Now if it is SGP or no I have no idea so cannot comment on that.
Old 19th May 2009, 15:45   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
I too have heard that it is 1300 for brake pads to be changed including labour. Now if it is SGP or no I have no idea so cannot comment on that.
Amit, they are SGP. I can vouch for that. I have seen the box with the SGP stickering and also the plastic cover inside which the brake pads are sealed also bearing a SGP sticker and not MGP.
Old 19th May 2009, 16:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well there you go. So SGP for Rs.1300.00 that is sweet.
mohit need to check on your prices champ
Old 19th May 2009, 16:48   #13
BHPian

Ha ha I stand corrected. This is for both fronts right? I stand corrected.
Old 19th May 2009, 17:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Have never heard of brake issues with any other baleno till date.Mostly it could be the pads.Replacement is always an esy solution for the A.S.S.But a keen inspection is waranted for from them before jumping into conclusions.take the car to another A.S.S. and take their views on it before the replacement.
ram
Old 19th May 2009, 18:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

yeah you chaps are right, the brake pads for the front is about 1300 odd. Just got 'em changed about a week back an yes they are SGP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks