Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2006, 13:37   #1
Team-BHP Support

Some Tips to Keep Your Car Safe From Theft

found a nice list. The top ten ways of car stealing and how to guard against them.
http://top-10-reasons.blogspot.com/2...nd-how-to.html
Quote:
Lists come out every year detailing the most stolen cars and, with that, what steps one can take to deter car thieves. Yet, a car is stolen in the United States every 24 seconds according to the Insurance Information Institute. Auto theft continues to thrive despite those lists and regardless of new anti-theft technology that emerges with every new model year.

What else can you do besides not drive the most stolen car in America and equip your car with anti-theft protection? We're going to give you the unique opportunity to look inside the mind of the car thief and learn how he steals cars. With the help of police auto theft experts and auto theft professionals, we've compiled this list of some of the ways thieves steal cars followed by suggestions of how to stop them from doing it to you.

We have no intention of providing new information to the wrong people and simply want to educate the good guys. We haven't disclosed anything that car thieves don't already know and we have left out specific details to avoid making this a "how-to." Knowing the insider tricks of auto thieves will motivate you to take the necessary precautions to defend your vehicle.

1. Bump against the car to check for a car alarm. Since it seems like everything from a loud Harley to a rumbling garbage truck can set off a car alarm, people have been conditioned to tune them out. Instead of a motion-sensitive car alarm, use one that has a pager that will notify you as soon as your alarm is activated.

2. Break the window or jimmy the lock to gain entry into a locked car. Don't tempt car thieves. Keep valuables out of plain sight. Take them with you or store them in the trunk. Also, if you have a stereo with a removable face plate, take it with you instead of tucking it away in the glovebox.

3. Cut the steering wheel itself if there's a steering wheel lock. Instead of locking just your steering wheel, "lock" your car's ability to go by using a starter disable switch and putting it in a place where only you can get to it.

4. Look for exposed wiring that can be cut or for the central unit of the car alarm to deactivate it. Instead of going to a big retail chain store, have your car alarm installed by a professional car alarm installer, preferably a reasonably shady one. Unlike retail chain employees, these experts know what it takes to make your car elusive to crooks.

5. Look for car alarm decals to figure out which method to use to eliminate the alarm. Never display stickers that advertise what sort of car alarm you have, or audio system for that matter. Consider using a hood lock cable so the thief can't get to your battery or car alarm mechanism.

6. Jump into an unattended running car while the owner is at the ATM, dropping off videos, etc. Never leave your keys in the ignition even for a quick errand. Car theft is a crime of opportunity, so don't make it easy for them to grab yours.

7. Look for the car's title, registration or anything with a home address on it. Keep your registration and insurance information with you and never leave personal information in your car.

8. Stake out sporting events, movie theaters and shopping center parking lots for the car of your choice since they offer the largest variety of cars in one area. Whenever possible, park in lots and garages that have security and/or parking lot attendants. If not, don't park in the farthest corner of the lot but rather near the entrance of these facilities to insure the most foot traffic (and the most potential witnesses). Also, opt for paying the extra couple of dollars for the monitored parking lot instead of using the free parking on the less-trafficked side streets.

9. Find the second set of keys the owner "hid" in the car. Don't leave spare keys in your car or in a magnetic box attached to the underside of your car. Thieves know where all the "hiding places" are.

10. Copy specific vehicle information and take it to the manufacturer to get a replacement key made. Instead of VIN etching the major parts of your vehicle, which doesn't turn most thieves off, drop your business card into the doors through the window slots to identify your car as yours.

Even though auto theft is a crime of opportunity, if a crook really wants your car, he'll do whatever it takes to get it regardless of steering wheel locks or car alarms. But with the above knowledge, you can slow him down, make your car inconvenient to him and, hopefully, discourage him from attempting to steal your vehicle. Layering your car with anti-theft protection, especially if it's at the top of the most stolen vehicles list, is a good start. But, as with anything that is of value to you, the most important protection you can give your car is to take a proactive approach to security when you leave it unattended.
Old 19th May 2009, 22:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Some Tips to Keep Your Car Safe From Theft

In petrol engined cars and jeeps, I had a very good secret weapon to deter the thieves from attempting to start and drive off with my car/ jeep.
Just open the distributor cap, pull out the rotor and keep it safe in a small plastic bag in your pocket.This little "rotor in my pocket" practice has been adapted by me whenever I had to park the automobile in some unsafe area, even during night halts in hotels, where their parking space had no compound and was exposed to some main road. It has been working excellently and touch wood! All's well. Invariably, in such hotels we find that there is a watchman who reports for duty at around 10 or 11 pm and soon goes to sleep near the hotel gate, only to get up at dawn and disappear.
I would like to seek answers from friends as to what can be done to modern diesel automobiles so that these are parked safe.I mean which little part of the diesel automobile can be pocketed in a plastic bag like the rotor and refitted by us without any hassles? I am sure this will work better than either the remote locking device or immobilizer or any other gear or steering lock.
I now own a Scorpio and hence am inviting friends for a discussion on this topic.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th May 2009 at 22:27.
Old 19th May 2009, 22:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

The best solution is to use Engine Immobilizer with Dual / Tripple authentication.
the key will have an embdded RFID chip which will store the secure keys and it will be exchaged with the engine. if the keys are not in the slot then the engine will not get started. (ofcourse car can be towed away, but engine can not start)

the next generation immobilizer solutions would employ RSA / PKI algorithm based solutions. Near Field communication (NFC) would allow you to open the doors with your mobile only after sending the secure keys to the car door and engine would started only after the phone is detected inside the car. the latest BMW demo car has this concept. would be in mass production in high end cars (in europe) by end of 2010.
Old 19th May 2009, 22:26   #4
BHPian

Tip for prevent theft? Keep it locked in your garage & take a cab wherever you want to go man! gosh, it must be the rain which is getting into my head today.

Those new hitech engine immobilisers should do the job well. Why not have a hidden switch fixed somewhere which can be switched off? A thief would have to do some hardwork to figure out where is the wiring & what needs to be done in that case. Arent it??

Last edited by null : 19th May 2009 at 22:29.
Old 19th May 2009, 22:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

How about taking the steering wheel with you, just like our Mr.Bean

Jokes apart. Is it not the reason we have those so called immobilizers?
Old 20th May 2009, 07:09   #6
BHPian

I would suggest that the best way for a modern car without an OEM security system in place, is to find/ have a fuse to the starter motor within the passanger cabin. One simply removes the fuse & your car will NOT move! Thieves DO NOT keep 100 amp fuses with them!
Old 20th May 2009, 07:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
I would suggest that the best way for a modern car without an OEM security system in place, is to find/ have a fuse to the starter motor within the passanger cabin. One simply removes the fuse & your car will NOT move! Thieves DO NOT keep 100 amp fuses with them!
This and "lock" your car's ability to go by using a starter disable switch and putting it in a place where only you can get to it.
are both good options. I saw a zen on this forum who had a starter switch. Only thing is that it should be hidden and only the owner should know about is location.
Old 20th May 2009, 09:25   #8
BANNED

@anjanc: I am afraid your secret weapon will remain a secret with both my cars. They are distributorless! This is becoming increasingly common these days. It is true that removing a distributor has been a time tested trick!
Old 20th May 2009, 10:36   #9
BHPian

@anjan
Quote:
I would like to seek answers from friends as to what can be done to modern diesel automobiles so that these are parked safe.I mean which little part of the diesel automobile can be pocketed in a plastic bag like the rotor and refitted by us without any hassles?
For years I had an Amby fitted with Isuzu diesel engine where I had fitted a hidden switch which controls the supply to the injection pump solenoid. With no power to this, the car will refuse to start or run.

Modern diesels should have some equivalent to this solenoid.
Old 20th May 2009, 11:37   #10
BHPian

Best way to prevent your car being stolen is not buying a Car

Incase you buy a car, have a driver attached to it. If no driver, keep the car locked at home!

But seriously avoid going to places wherein your car is not secure.
Old 20th May 2009, 20:08   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Quite a good suggestion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
@anjan

For years I had an Amby fitted with Isuzu diesel engine where I had fitted a hidden switch which controls the supply to the injection pump solenoid. With no power to this, the car will refuse to start or run.
Modern diesels should have some equivalent to this solenoid.
Worth a try, of course with feedbacks from technocrats who know the pulse of such engines better.
Forgot to mention that I have a crude telescopic steering lock of steel, where the clutch pedal and steering are connected and any huge lock (Nav Tal or else) can be applied on the slotted telescopic holes. This is quite a deterrent and thieves may never expect this device there affixed within the car, after working hard to safely breaking into it and getting the surprise of their day/night.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th May 2009 at 20:11.
Old 20th May 2009, 20:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

i would take out a wire out of the hood that connects some part sof the cranking system i dont know what but it helps my car not to start. though this was used in Maruti 800
Old 21st May 2009, 11:58   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Best (and convenient) ways to protect your car against theft in India:

1. Use a solid gear lock (the type that permanently bolts on to your car). Second option is a steering lock.

2. Security alarm + motion + impact sensors + immobilizer.

3. Park in a safe area. Within building complexes is, of course, the best bet. For those who park on the road, it'd help to park under a street light. Give a monthly baksheesh to any watchman stationed closeby.

4. Get the registration numbers etched on all window glasses.

5. Don't let your car keys circulate amongst the watchmen / car wash guys of your society.

6. A hidden master switch (engine cut-off) could also prove very effective.

Of course, no car is theft-proof and a determined thief will still be able to drive away with your wheels. But the key is to make it as difficult as possible.
Old 21st May 2009, 12:35   #14
BHPian

duplicate key

There is some danger with vallet parkings.
It is very to make a perfect,working duplicate key with the connivance
of vallet parking assistants.
So,it means you must avoid places with vallet parkings at least when the car is a brand new one .

2) You should never leave a car or motorcycle with a key in the ignition .
But many peole do it for small errands like walking in to a shop or to drop a letter in the box etc.,
One of our relative's motorcycle was stolen and police traced it only after an year just by chance. So the thief tells the police that he would not have stolen the pulsor motorbyke if only the owner had not left a key in the ignition.

3) remember your car or byke is prone for stealing when it is brand new. The thieves generally follow the vehicle in another vehicle and watch it being parked by you.
I have seen an incident where a byke dissappeared in just two or three minutes !! the girl was walking in to homeo stores and by the time she just turned around her Honda activa was stolen !! she did not lock it because the parking is in a long portico and inside this area there is this homeo store in Hyderabad.
And near my native village on the highway a minitruck Eicher
was stolen while the driver was eating his tiffin !!!

4) Pay handsomely to any watchman who may be there near big parking lots immediately after the parking, so that he shall watch your vehicle in perticular.
Old 22nd May 2009, 22:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
The best solution is to use Engine Immobilizer with Dual / Tripple authentication.
the key will have an embdded RFID chip which will store the secure keys and it will be exchaged with the engine. if the keys are not in the slot then the engine will not get started. (ofcourse car can be towed away, but engine can not start)

the next generation immobilizer solutions would employ RSA / PKI algorithm based solutions. Near Field communication (NFC) would allow you to open the doors with your mobile only after sending the secure keys to the car door and engine would started only after the phone is detected inside the car. the latest BMW demo car has this concept. would be in mass production in high end cars (in europe) by end of 2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Best (and convenient) ways to protect your car against theft in India:

1. Use a solid gear lock (the type that permanently bolts on to your car). Second option is a steering lock.

2. Security alarm + motion + impact sensors + immobilizer.

I recently went to a car accessory shop to get a gear lock installed in my new i20. The dealer there said that there is no need to install one due the same reasons as mentioned in your respective posts. He said (and the car's manual confirms it) that there is a transponder chip placed in the key which wirelessly communicates with the engine and if the original key is not there inside the car the car will not start.

He said that putting the gear lock will only spoil the car console and all the dealers are ready to put it to make a quick buck and if I still wanted he can put one for me. But even the hyundai company is selling them in their showrooms.

P.S. - He was frank with me as I told him I got his reference from teamBHP. (Dealer is automarc, Delhi).

Can any expert please comment on this as I am thoroughly confused as his reasoning sounded quite logical to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks