Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 19:11   #61
BHPian

Re: Correct Gas for AC- Is R12 banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just make sure duPont MO49 is not essentially butane-propane. At one time it was used in the US for refrigerators and the like. However, since it is inflammable it is NOT recommended for automobiles. So the gas should not be inflammable.
Whilst I concur, this did make me think of the hundreds of millions of cars around the world with what is effectively a mobile bomb sitting a few feet behind the driver - a tank of petrol/air mixture sloshing around in what is effectively an open system, barely protected from impacts and liable to leak if a car is turned onto its roof.

Another reason I enjoy using cooking oil as a fuel - it is both clean and safe.
Old 6th June 2014, 14:23   #62
BHPian

Three year update-
The replacement refrigerant for the phased out R12, viz, DuPonts MO 49 Plus filled in my '97 Esteem in May 2011 is doing fine, no topup required, just condenser cleaning from time to time.
Excellent cooling.
This year too I have been getting several calls re this gas, many from members outside Delhi and Aman Sahil of Aman's EX Workshop, Okhla, New Delhi has been fulfilling their requirements, be it local filling or shipping the gas outside Delhi.
Any members who require this gas and are unable to get it locally may plz look up my prev posts for Aman's contact details.
Regards.
Kamal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 23:49   #63
BHPian

[quote=Kamal;3449559]Three year update-
The replacement refrigerant for the phased out R12, viz, DuPonts MO 49 Plus filled in my '97 Esteem in May 2011 is doing fine, no topup required, just condenser cleaning from time to time.
Excellent cooling.

Hi, How much did you pay for the gar charge ? Looks like my Sx4 is asking for a top up / service.
Old 7th June 2014, 00:02   #64
BHPian

I found the owner of the Aman's EX Workshop, Okhla to be a very rude person who makes inappropriate off the cuff remarks. He used to be very sincere with his work and took an active interest in the job. But now I think due to his increased popularity, the situation is quite different. Also, I recall the price charged by him for MO-49 has been hiked significantly. Anyway, that could very well be my personal perception of him, he seems to be working out for many members here.

Any one looking for Dupont MO-49 gas cans can get them from Anil Motors, Kashmere Gate for Rs.350 per can. I don't recall how many MO-49 cans are required for a gas recharge, but I don't think it is more than 2 or 3. He is the authorised distributor of Dupont.

Contact details -
Anil Motors
2780/B2 Bhagwandas Building, Iothian Road, Kashmere Gate, Delhi - 110006
Ph: 011-23917257/23955369
Mob: 8800511938
Authorised Distributor of Subros, BANDO, Perfect Radiators, Dupont and Delphi

You could source the cans for him and get the AC serviced from any of your trusty FNG.
Old 7th June 2014, 00:41   #65
BHPian

[quote=adi_sun;3449956]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Three year update-
Excellent cooling.

Hi, How much did you pay for the gar charge ? Looks like my Sx4 is asking for a top up / service.
Sx4 would require 134A, not R12 or its replacement MO 49 +, which should be available everywhere!
Still, if you wish, plz call Aman @the mob nos given in my earlier posts.
Regards
Old 7th June 2014, 01:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Three year update-
Excellent cooling.
This year too I have been getting several calls re this gas, many from members outside Delhi and Aman Sahil of Aman's EX Workshop, Okhla, New Delhi has been fulfilling their requirements, be it local filling or shipping the gas outside Delhi.
Any members who require this gas and are unable to get it locally may plz look up my prev posts for Aman's contact details.
Regards.
In my old 20 year old esteem 3 years back a local jackass mech put 134a or some other gas. The AC worked fine for a while and suddenly stopped. Now the compressor wont even turn on.
Do you think my AC compressor is dead?
Old 7th June 2014, 06:50   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
If there was a gas leakage, due to excessive corrosion from r134, there would be a pressure switch which would prevent the compressor from dry-running and subsequent failure. Is the clutch engaging with a tak sound? Get the pressure checked, maybe its just another leak. There would be tell-tale signs for catastrophic compressor failure IMHO, doesn't conk off suddenly.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 10:08   #68
BANNED

Quote:
a local jackass mech put 134a or some other gas.
The compressor needs an extensive overhaul before putting in R134 since it is more corrosive, and very sensitive to moisture. So you may be in for it!!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 14:20   #69
BHPian

Quote:
In my old 20 year old esteem 3 years back a local jackass mech put 134a or some other gas. The AC worked fine for a while and suddenly stopped. Now the compressor wont even turn on.
Not necessarily.
As LapisLazuli & SGIITK have pointed out, there could be other reasons too why the compressor is not working.
For your comfort, let me share that in my esteem too a local a/c mechanic filled 134A in april 2010, since R12 was no longer available and he was not aware of MO49+.
Fortunately, because of a faulty gasket in the compressor, the gas leaked out in under a month, hence no significant damage was done.
The advisable course for you would be to have the A/c assy incl the compressor, thoroughly checked out and if everything is ok, have it filled with MO49+.
But plz choose a better mechanic this time!
Old 24th June 2014, 14:35   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
I found the owner of the Aman's EX Workshop, Okhla to be a very rude person who makes inappropriate off the cuff remarks. He used to be very sincere with his work and took an active interest in the job. But now I think due to his increased popularity, the situation is quite different. Also, I recall the price charged by him for MO-49 has been hiked significantly. Anyway, that could very well be my personal perception of him, he seems to be working out for many members here.

Any one looking for Dupont MO-49 gas cans can get them from Anil Motors, Kashmere Gate for Rs.350 per can. I don't recall how many MO-49 cans are required for a gas recharge, but I don't think it is more than 2 or 3. He is the authorised distributor of Dupont.

Contact details -
Anil Motors
2780/B2 Bhagwandas Building, Iothian Road, Kashmere Gate, Delhi - 110006
Ph: 011-23917257/23955369
Mob: 8800511938
Authorised Distributor of Subros, BANDO, Perfect Radiators, Dupont and Delphi

You could source the cans for him and get the AC serviced from any of your trusty FNG.
Thanks for sharing another source for MO49+.
For persons residing nearby, that is definitely another option, as is the Distributor in Daryaganj, whose contact details I have shared in an earlier post.
Re the cost, one has to keep in mind that Aman is a retailer whereas these two are distributors.
Even for me,it would have been more expensive to drive to Daryaganj and back to procure the cans and then go to an A/C mechanic to have it filled - money as well as time.
Also, distributors may not be willing ( at least the one in Daryaganj is not ) to go to the trouble of shipping just 2 cans outside Delhi; plus you need the applicator nozzle attachment, which distributors don't have.
This is where Aman steps in ; he has shipped such kits to many customers outside Delhi.
Many people have dealt with Aman re this refrigerant and have been satisfied, it is sad you didn't have a good exp with him.
Old 10th July 2014, 02:52   #71
BHPian

Kamal Sir, Nice to see you are sharing valuable knowledge and even the best possible way to get Car A.C. Gas.

I've a 2006 Model Santro xing, and this time I am trying to top up the gas on my own, I'll be getting hold of Manifold in a week and would certainly make a D.I.Y. thread for it.
I feel the need to top up cause AC works horribly in afternoons and chills during nights.

Last time I got it filled was a couple of years back, however I don't recall what gas was used, I am little confused which one to use for this DIY project.

please help
Old 16th July 2014, 11:00   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Kamal Sir, You have been a savior for all owners of R12 based AC equipped cars. I have a few queries of my own.
1. Is changing the oil required before switching to Mo49 from R12?? Excuse my ignorance, but oil has never been changed in our 14 year old M800 DX. How to find out if oil needs replacement??
2. How many Mo49 cans are required for a complete filling of M800 AC cylinder??
3. Is it still available?? From what I have been told, MO49 supply has been stopped about a year back.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 12:09   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Kamal Sir, Nice to see you are sharing valuable knowledge and even the best possible way to get Car A.C. Gas.

I've a 2006 Model Santro xing, and this time I am trying to top up the gas on my own, I'll be getting hold of Manifold in a week and would certainly make a D.I.Y. thread for it.
I feel the need to top up cause AC works horribly in afternoons and chills during nights.

Last time I got it filled was a couple of years back, however I don't recall what gas was used, I am little confused which one to use for this DIY project.

please help
A 2006 model Santro probably requires the refrigerant gas called 134A, not R12/MO49+.
But , plz be absolutely sure and check up with Hyundai!!!
Regards.
Old 16th July 2014, 12:15   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Kamal Sir, You have been a savior for all owners of R12 based AC equipped cars. I have a few queries of my own.
1. Is changing the oil required before switching to Mo49 from R12?? Excuse my ignorance, but oil has never been changed in our 14 year old M800 DX. How to find out if oil needs replacement??
2. How many Mo49 cans are required for a complete filling of M800 AC cylinder??
3. Is it still available?? From what I have been told, MO49 supply has been stopped about a year back.

Regards,
Shashi
1. Yes, surely the compressor lube oil would need replacement after 14 years.
2. My 1997 Esteem needed 2 cans of 350 GMs each; your M800 would obviously require less.
3. Aman has stocks of MO49+ ; plz give him a call.
Regards.
Old 16th July 2014, 12:19   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post

please help
Plz don't take it amiss but plz be sure that you possess the day skills to do this!
An explosion can happen if not done the right way!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks