Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2009, 14:16   #1
BHPian

New Honda City (ANHC)Poor FE & Voltage Fluctuations

Hi Bhpian's,

I purchased a City SMT in the month of March 2009. The car till now has been smooth to drive and uneventful. However, I have observed that the cars FE (Measured by tank full to tank full method) is 9.8kmpl (As against 10.6kmpl displayed on the Panel) which is significantly lower than what other Members in this forum get from their cars. My car has completed its first service as per schedule and driven sedately at 50-60 Kmph entirely on South Delhi roads. I never independently give the car to the driver and keep a tab on the speed sitting at the back (The guy is fedup with me). Isnt this abnormally a low FE figure ? What to do ? I am going for the second service next week where the Engine Oil shall be drained. Please advise.

Secondly, I observe that there is unusual fluctuation in the current flow. The AC blower automatically speedsup for a few seconds and comes back to normal. Similarly with the Headlights dim and brightenup for a few seconds. What could be the problem ?

Lastly, please suggest an upgrade of the headlight bulbs. The stalk bulbs are simply inadequate. Someone suggested me to fit Osram bulbs which emit out a brighter beam of the same wattage as the stalk ones! Will this affect warranty?

Your expert views please.

Last edited by sandeep.mishra : 16th June 2009 at 14:20.
Old 16th June 2009, 14:34   #2
BHPian

Hi Sandeep,
Regarding FE of the car , the highest I have got till now is 16.5 Km/lt not exceeding over 80-100 kms/hr on a highway trip and the lowest I got was 8 km/lt , again on a highway trip where I hardly let the RPM fall below 4K!! Mine is an AT.
About Voltage fluctution, have no clue, maybe something wrong with the battery or the alternator, Did you recently Upgrade/modify and ICE in your car?
Old 16th June 2009, 14:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have following questions-

In what gear do you drive at those low speeds?

I am not sure but does it have climate control A/C?

Did you install any after market ICE?
Old 16th June 2009, 14:45   #4
BHPian

Sandeep, IMO the FE usually picks up after the first 3 services. I suggest you touch nothing in that respect and wait till you've driven around a bit and got atleast 3 services done. Also, upshift at 2k RPM and you'll feel better.

WRT the dimming of lights and blower speed etc, get the car checked by H.A.S.S. Ask them to check the alternator current using a voltometer and check by switching on each appliance individually. That should tell you if there is anything worth.

Bulbs - stick to stock wattage of 55/60 since you might need additional wiring and relay (which can void warranty). Get the Philips X-treme Power bulbs.
Old 16th June 2009, 15:21   #5
BHPian

To reply to Technocrat and Netarchie

1. I drive at 55-60 kmph in the 4th gear.
2. No after market ICE fitted.
3. The car doesnt have an Automatic Climate Control

Netarchie: Where are you getting your car serviced and are you satisfied with the dealer?

Thanks Ankit, let me wait for the second and third service to gauge the FE figures. Will look at Philips Xtreme too.

Last edited by sandeep.mishra : 16th June 2009 at 15:24.
Old 16th June 2009, 15:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ok if no extra ICE & no Auto AC then the fluctuations shouldn't be there, do show it to the service guys immediately.

As for speeds I believe 70-90kph would be more economical for that 1.5 ltr 118 bhp engine
Old 16th June 2009, 16:58   #7
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Bulbs - stick to stock wattage of 55/60 since you might need additional wiring and relay (which can void warranty). Get the Philips X-treme Power bulbs.
Its best you stick to stock bulbs and if you are not satisfied, then perhaps you can change to the X-treme power bulbs from Philips. I have been using them for a year and the lighting is more than adequate for highway drives at night. It also doesn't void your warranty.
Old 16th June 2009, 21:07   #8
BHPian

Hi Sandeep ..i am having the same problems. my car's (S AT) FE is around the 8.6kmpl with AC but the panels shows an enthusiastic 10.8kmpl to 11.2 kmpl.the car will be going for its oil change etc it overdue but i don't have the time to give it to the dealer. I even have the voltage flactuation sometimes the light becomes bright or dim at its own accord ,dunno why either?
one more thing. the front suspension doesn't seem right. It give a very sharp thump at times at small potholes, which i feel is not normal coz my old VTEC and even the 800 doesn't usually do that at the same potholes at higher speeds..
Old 16th June 2009, 21:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Ok if no extra ICE & no Auto AC then the fluctuations shouldn't be there, do show it to the service guys immediately.

As for speeds I believe 70-90kph would be more economical for that 1.5 ltr 118 bhp engine
The economy zone for best FE in a Fiesta 1.6 is 90 to 100 kmph, per my service advisor. Could be the same for the ANHC.
Old 16th June 2009, 21:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sandeep,

on my long drive the car gave approx 13.5 KMPL (2.5 tank full for 1400 KMs)
in citi drive it gives me approx 11-12KM even though the on board indicator shows 13.7-14.5 KMPL. I have driven approx 850KM within city till now. my drive includes approx 20 minutes in the KR Puram B2B traffic everyday morning.

I have found that 70-90KMPH is the optimum speed vs fuel economy when driving on 5th gear @ 2500-3000 RPM. generally i do not rev up the engine at low speed especially on gear 1 and 2.

During City drive, one can drive on the 5th gear even at low speeds of 45-55KMPH

I always use Xtra Premium fuel from IOCL. i use the same fuel station over last one year even for my Palio. i know the fuel station guys hence they do not play arround with their stunts. please ensure that you are getting the right quality/qty of fuel.

i suggest you wait for all 3 free services to get over, but keep your sales consultant and service advisor informed about the problem you perceive.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 16th June 2009 at 21:46.
Old 16th June 2009, 21:48   #11
BHPian

Faulty Alternator

Power fluctuations to electrical devices surely points to faulty alternator. Do get it checked asap before it damages any of them.
Old 17th June 2009, 11:46   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll View Post
Power fluctuations to electrical devices surely points to faulty alternator. Do get it checked asap before it damages any of them.
I fully agree. In all likelihood they have to change just the regulator.
Old 18th June 2009, 11:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr chill View Post
Hi Sandeep ..i am having the same problems. my car's (S AT) FE is around the 8.6kmpl with AC but the panels shows an enthusiastic 10.8kmpl to 11.2 kmpl.the car will be going for its oil change etc it overdue but i don't have the time to give it to the dealer. I even have the voltage flactuation sometimes the light becomes bright or dim at its own accord ,dunno why either?
one more thing. the front suspension doesn't seem right. It give a very sharp thump at times at small potholes, which i feel is not normal coz my old VTEC and even the 800 doesn't usually do that at the same potholes at higher speeds..
Hi Dr. Chill,

with you entirely on the front suspension noise. I am also experiencing a loud thump (metallic thump) at the back as well, even while running over mild undulations on the road. the car actually rides like a bullock cart. The FE figures on the panel are faulty. Yours being an automatic may have a lower fuel efficiency. However, I know some friends whose automatic ANHC's return around 9.5-10kmpl. So please get it checked. Which dealer are you getting it serviced with ? I have booked my car for Tuesday at South End Honda after my pathetic experience with Courtsey Honda.

Hi Mr.Star,

Its almost not possible to go over 60 KMPH on Delhi roads. Hence, I stick to the fourth gear most of the times with low and steady revs! I have tried other fuel pumps as well including one company owned pump but dont see any increase in the FE figures.

HI GP,

I am upgrading to the Philips Extreme Bulbs shortly.

Dear SGIITK sir and Mr.Rajdoll,

I will get the alternator checked.

Dear all,

I wish to install a pair of after market fog lights. There are no slots on the bumper for the same. Can you please guide?

Last edited by sandeep.mishra : 18th June 2009 at 11:53.
Old 18th June 2009, 15:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep.mishra View Post
I wish to install a pair of after market fog lights. There are no slots on the bumper for the same. Can you please guide?
There are slots for it inside the bumper. The dealership people punch it through and put in a plastic piece - which covers the rough edges - and proceed to install the fog lamps inside this piece.
Old 18th June 2009, 15:27   #15
BHPian

Hi Sandeep,

Who goes to fill the car at the pump? You or your driver? Its and old driver's trick to tip the pump attendant Rs 10/-, fill petrol worth Rs 400/- and get a Rs 500/- bill. I suggest you be present every time you fill up the tank.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks