Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2009, 01:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Guys, I am faced with the same issue in my Esteem. The A/C chillness and air throw are pretty good and the only issue is the noise from the compressor.(I have not had any issues with the A/C in the last 6 years of owning the car) I had got two different opinions on this - one from M.A.S.S and the other from the local A/C mechanic.

M.A.S.S - Noise in compressor can be rectified by replacing the bearing and changing the compressor oil. This is not done by M.A.S.S but done by "Subros". M.A.S.S just faclilitates the same.

Local A/C Mech - The noise in the compressor cannot be arrested even if the bearing is changed. Replacing the oil will only help.

I am confused on what I should be doing. Please advise. The car has clocked 25K on the odo till date.
AFAIK, the oil in the compressor never needs changing. And its even less likely that its the cause of any noise. I find the local a/c mech's statement fishy.
Old 14th August 2009, 14:39   #17
BHPian

Guys any help in finding a good ac repair mech. in Delhi
Old 24th August 2009, 00:21   #18
BHPian

I have checked with few more mechanics here in Delhi, Surprisingly nobody confirmed the repairing of AC compressor. As per them only bearing can be replaced, if there is some problem with the compressor, there is no other option but to change/replace it.

Some mech./taxi operators suggested that a used compressor can be procured from places like Meerut etc. Who deals in used parts. As per them they take out these spares and parts from accidental/totalted cars and sell them at quite cheaper rates. Any suggestions about it ?
Old 24th August 2009, 11:25   #19
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
As per them they take out these spares and parts from accidental/totalted cars and sell them at quite cheaper rates. Any suggestions about it ?
This is a bit of a gamble. A friend of mine once sourced an a/c compressor for his Esteem from one such place in Bangalore. It worked perfectly fine till he sold the car with 90,000 kms on the odo.

The only problem is that there is no gurantee for such parts. You buy it/fit it at your own risk and the part might even fail the next day.
Old 29th September 2009, 14:52   #20
BHPian

I have shown the car to few more experts in their domain, and their reply was unamonous that the compressor has to be replaced. Infact there is not other way out other then replacement, as the compressor cannot be satisfactorily repaired.
Will buy the same in winters as suggested by the mech. as they are cheaper by couple of thousand rupees in off season.
Old 29th September 2009, 15:39   #21
BANNED

I would suggest you go to s Subros service facility and get a new compressor. Sure will be cheaper than at MASS. Also, you will be sure about what you are getting. Maybe you will also be able to go from R12 to R134a!
Old 29th September 2009, 18:17   #22
BHPian

^ Sure Sir, I am surely going to check Subros for that. Excuse me for my limited knowledge but what difference will it make by advancing from R12 to R134a ?
Old 29th September 2009, 18:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I would suggest you go to s Subros service facility and get a new compressor. Sure will be cheaper than at MASS. Also, you will be sure about what you are getting. Maybe you will also be able to go from R12 to R134a!
This is precisely what I intend to do with my car's A/C as well. M.A.S.S has clearly said that they don't undertake any A/C repairs but get them done from Subros. In this case, it is better to take it directly to Subros to see things for onself.
Old 30th September 2009, 12:45   #24
BHPian

As posted by me in a separate thread, I have just replaced my Swift compressor when the old one conked off after developing the sound for some time and then finally the oil leaked.
My MASS guys checked the price of the Swift compressor from both Maruti and Subros and found that the price offerred by Maruti is less by around Rs. 1000/-
I sourced the item from Maruti and it cost me Rs. 11580 odd + VAT.
You run a risk of replacing other components like condensor, if you have run the compressor in a damaged condition as small metal particles are likely to get lodged in the condensor and evaporator which sometimes cannot be flushed out. I was lucky that my compressor was removed before it could damage other components. The net benefit that I paid total Rs. 16000 instead of Rs. 28000 if the other parts had got damaged.

Swift compressors are different from Zen and Altos.
Old 1st October 2009, 00:17   #25
BHPian

^I doubt about the pricing of MASS being less as compared to Subros, However will confirm and revert on that.
Old 1st October 2009, 19:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Since your swift has already completed 71K on odo, the compressor might have gone weak, It happens with all maruti cars, I can give you my mechenic No. By the way where do you stay?

Uday
Is there anything can be done as preventive maintenance to prevent cashing out such a big amount Rs.30k upon failure or getting weak?
Old 1st October 2009, 21:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

One thing you can do is to ensure that the A/c does not see more than say a week's dis-use.
Old 1st October 2009, 22:02   #28
BHPian

^Oops I have been using it since past 6 months, seems to be working fine till now. Lets see the outcome when the whole thing is opened up.
Old 8th November 2009, 22:56   #29
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I too got the same issue pop up now. I completed aroun 70-75k when suddenly this noise started popping up. I took it to autoteam at cochin and they have tried their utmost to get it gone and they failed it initially.

Then they had a spare compressor that some other user had left when he replaced his with a new one. They used the needle valve of that in mine and the sound has considerably reduced, however it still does come up. They say if we can just get that one valve, we could solve it with just a 2-3k expense of labor plus refrigerant change.

But unfortunately, we dont seem to get this stuff outside. Anyone has any idea where we can source this?

I dont want to spend a 20k on a new compressor because of such a small valve change , because the compressor maker wont sell it separate.

Regards
Chakky
Old 29th September 2014, 17:32   #30
BHPian

Re: Swift AC Problem

Hello.
I have a Swift VXi 2006 model, almost 80,000km. And this problem has suddenly cropped up.
Found a link that accurately resembles the sound that is made..

Any solutions?
This thread is indeed a really old one. I'm just trying my luck here..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks