Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 20:57   #1
BHPian

Ford Ikon - Major rattling from under dashboard

Hi Guys,

I have been experiencing major rattling issues from my Ikon over the last 6-8 months. It comes from under the dash board and is extremely disturbing when there even a small bump or a pothole . I have asked both Ford A.S.S as well as multibrand outlets in bangalore to check it out and no one seems to have an answer.

Recently I had WS1 in Sadashivnagar check it out and he said that there / could be a problem with the AC vent/ duct and they would need to remove all the gas to check it out and could cost me about 3K. I dont mind spending the money but just wanted to check if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Also, guys from Bangalore - would you know of any good multi-brand service station in and around Banashankari.

Parikshith
Old 9th August 2009, 17:42   #2
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Parikshith,

The service station is taking you for a ride. You do not have to dismantle the entire a/c system just to fix a rattle.

Just peer under the dashboard (with the front seats removed, if possible) and take a close look at all the components. It could be the stereo that's loose on its mounting and vibrating or even the thick wiring harnesses that are under the dashboard must be touching the a/c ducting leading to the vibrations.

Fixing rattles is a DIY thing and you can use a few big sized zipties to secure anything that is loose and that will put an end to the vibrations.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 9th August 2009, 18:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Try an early morning drive to narrow down the area of the rattle.

Did you got to Metro / Lathangi / Cauvery ?
Old 9th August 2009, 18:55   #4
BHPian

I had a similar problem with my ikon, took it to the service station, they found something loose under the dashboard right below the speedo. It seems some clip/fastener had come off so they replaced it and that was it. Since I had got my car serviced just a few days ago, they didn't even charge me for it.

Don't fall for that "AC system dismantling" thing. They are just taking you for a ride.

BTW, in my car it wasn't a "major rattling issue", just a regular rattle that was a bit irritating when driving on bad roads or bumps.

Just wondering, why are some Ford service stations so good while others suck. In Jodhpur, where I was staying earlier, I was very satisfied with the Ford service centre, their mechs were competent and the service advisors honest, they never tried to fleece me and always did a great job on the car but here in Goa, the Ford service centre sucks big time, they are absolutely incompetent.

Last edited by Astleviz : 9th August 2009 at 19:02.
Old 10th August 2009, 12:15   #5
BHPian

Thanks gpa, condor and Astleviz,

Have a long weekend coming up so will try to get to the bottom of the issue.

Once earlier i had checked the stero and the wiring and did not find anything amiss. The speedo angle is new, will take a look there as well.

As for service stations I have given it to Lathangi, Metro (not St. Marks road though) and Cauvery and have been extremely dissatisfied with their work.

Will keep you guys updated.

Parik
Old 18th September 2009, 17:39   #6
BHPian

Its worse now. I tried looking for anything loose under dashboard and found some wires that needed to be bunched together. Since the rear brakes and the temperature sensor needed to be replaced I told the mechanic to check on the noise and pad the wires. incidently I took it to a Maruti service station since I had exhausted all the ford options . After looking at it he said that all cars develop the rattle since the mounts deform due to heat and time. Its easy or should I say cheap to fix on an esteem but would cost quite a bit for a ford. He then used some foam to pack some of the wires to reduce the sound. In the process got a lot of stuff fixed (costed me 16000 in all). The damn noise wont go away and it has become worse. I am now totally consumed by the situation and am in a position where I will spend what ever required to fix it.

This is the only thing that seems out of place in the car.
Old 18th September 2009, 23:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parik_ind View Post
The damn noise wont go away and it has become worse. I am now totally consumed by the situation and am in a position where I will spend what ever required to fix it.

This is the only thing that seems out of place in the car.
Rattles from even well screwed together cars is not a new thing in India. I think for this you will have to work on the car a bit. Try again to figure out is something is lose or not. Take out the music system, carpets, etc. and then again try.
I think that you did not pay for Ford A.S & S., but eventually paid at Maruti A.S & S. Take it to Ford again and try to get in touch with higher officials at Ford.
Old 19th September 2009, 13:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Rattles from even well screwed together cars is not a new thing in India. I think for this you will have to work on the car a bit. Try again to figure out is something is lose or not. Take out the music system, carpets, etc. and then again try.
I think that you did not pay for Ford A.S & S., but eventually paid at Maruti A.S & S. Take it to Ford again and try to get in touch with higher officials at Ford.
Loose Wiring harness won't rattle much. Could be dislodged relays or such items or metal bracket coming loose. Even if slightly loose, vibrating metal supports gives out very loud noise. The noise could be coming from the bulk head.
Old 20th September 2009, 16:39   #9
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am now totally consumed by the situation and am in a position where I will spend what ever required to fix it.
to add to what sudharma has said, the best way is get to the bottom of the rattles is to dismantle the front seat and have a mechanic lie there looking under the dash to see if he can pin point any rattles.
Old 20th September 2009, 19:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me why rattles are so bad? Apart from the annoyance factor, is there anything more serious to it, especially to spend 16k and more on it?
Old 29th September 2009, 10:01   #11
BHPian

Hey thanks for the posts guys. I am currently out of the country and once I am back will get it looked into. Maybe even give Ford another shot.

I know rattles eventually become a part of the daily driving experience and the smaller ones I am ok with. This for some reason I get the feeling that if it is not fixed now could lead to a lot of issues later on.

Will keep updating.

Parikshith
Old 29th September 2009, 18:22   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
(costed me 16000 in all). The damn noise wont go away and it has become worse. I am now totally consumed by the situation and am in a position where I will spend what ever required to fix it.
You so obviously are consumed! Relax, man, few cars end up rattle free after a couple of thousand kms on our roads. My honest suggestion : Turn the stereo volume up, drown away the rattles and enjoy the music.

P.S. You would go absolutely crazy in my Jeep! There isn't a part that doesn't rattle.
Old 9th October 2009, 11:27   #13
BHPian

Lol GTO... I have been turning the volume up. The reason I am "consumed" is because no single mechanic can give me a logical reason for the noise. All I hear is that it is minor and can be fixed and that has not happened. Anyway, I dropped the car off this morning at Metro Ford, needed to replace the clutch assy, so have asked them to check (incidently this is the only Ford A.S.S that I have not tried ) Will know this evening on the status of the noise; if it remains I am going to let it be. If I keep spending money like this I will definately be thrown out of the house.

And guys the 16k was on a whole bunch of stuff and not just the rattling lest you think that I have OCD .

Parik

Last edited by parik_ind : 9th October 2009 at 11:30. Reason: more info
Old 9th October 2009, 11:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

^^ I had a similar rattle problems in my car. It was located to a dislocated Ball and Rod joint near the steering column. The rattling would be on rough/bad roads only. Not otherwise. Ask him to check that also. I'm not saying that is the only cause, but might be too. So just ask him to do that. Yes it is irritating. And ask that fellow to create a Journal voucher to Ford, for the already paid 16K !!!
Old 9th October 2009, 12:25   #15
BHPian

Just got a call from Ford, the noise was from the AC vent, they are fixing that and putting in a pad as well (not sure what material) to get rid of the noise. Have also told him to check the steering column assy and the joint. Hopefully this time it its sorted out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks