Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 16:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Tappet sound ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Is it a DIY job to check the Tightness of Cam Belt Tensioner? If not, then how much time is required in A$$/Local Garage? How much charges?
How to identify whether its the sound of Tappet?
It could be a DIY job, if you have done it before. Otherwise, leave it to the pros. The dicor engine with all its electronics would'nt be happy to be fiddled with.
Why have you zeroed in on the tensioner alone? Have you changed the timing belt off-late? A bad tensioner can snap the timing belt in no time.
Loose tappets usually make a clattering noise..so loud that it can be noticed easily during cold starts and the sound comes down as the engine warms up.

Last edited by jeeva : 6th July 2011 at 16:42.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 16:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva
Loose tappets usually make a clattering noise..so loud that it can be noticed easily during cold starts and the sound comes down as the engine warms up.
There is Clattering noise when the Engine is Cold Started.
The Noise reduces after the engine has been run for 2-3 kms.

Also if Tappets are Loose, does the Idle Rpm often fall to below 500?
Old 8th July 2011, 15:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

My query of 16th is still unanswered.
Experts Please answer at the earliest.
Old 30th October 2011, 15:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Today I fiddled with the Fuel Sedimenter of our Indigo XL Dicor and the car refused to start. There was air in the fuel system.

A mechanic was called and he rectified the problem and the car started.

He asked me whether the clattering noise comes since long time ago or is it coming just now (after this repair was carried out)

I told him that it is coming since long ago.
When he asked whether the timing belt was replaced or not, I gave him affirmative answer.

When I asked him why the noise was coming, he replied that it must be due to Worn out Valve Lifters and get them replaced ASAP to avoid Valves from Bending.

I asked him how much will be the cost, on which he replied @400-450/- (I guess he told the cost of one Valve Lifter).
He said there are 16 Valve Lifters and only after opening, it will be clear that how many of them need replacement.

@all..
I agree that there is Clattering noise present since last 10,000-15,000kms ago. But is it true what the mechanic told about the cost and the justification he gave (Replace ASAP to avoid bent valves)?

The car in question is Indigo XL Grand Dicor which has run 1,40,980kms.
Old 30th October 2011, 17:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@all..
I agree that there is Clattering noise present since last 10,000-15,000kms ago. But is it true what the mechanic told about the cost and the justification he gave (Replace ASAP to avoid bent valves)?

The car in question is Indigo XL Grand Dicor which has run 1,40,980kms.
It is only when the valve cannot come out fully (the cam/tapette does not let it close fully) that valves can be bent. Normally clatter denotes the opposite conditions, that is the valve/cam/tappet gap is more. Any way you should get it rectified as imperfect valve functioning will affect performance and FE drastically.

As your engine has run a lot, when you open up the head for changing valves, get the cam belts and other inaccessible parts changed, and enjoy another 1.5L km of trouble free ride.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2011, 20:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy
1)Normally clatter denotes the opposite conditions, that is the valve/cam/tappet gap is more.
2)Any way you should get it rectified as imperfect valve functioning will affect performance and FE drastically.
3)As your engine has run a lot, when you open up the head for changing valves, get the cam belts and other inaccessible parts changed, and enjoy another 1.5L km of trouble free ride.
1)But I have heard that Indigo XL Dicor has automatic tappet setting. Then how come the gap would be more?
2)The Pickup is soooo gooooodddd, I love to rev often. And the FE is not bad either. @16-17kpl on highways (I seldom get chance to check the FE in city) and this at the speeds of 100-110kph.
3)I have changed the Timing Belt around 3000-4000kms ago at 136K-137KKms.
I am thinking of Water Pump check since this was missed at that time.

But is the diagnosis of Valve Lifters worn out correct or am I taken for a ride?

How to identify if the Valve Lifters are really worn out by looking at them? Do they have some sort of signs?
Old 31st October 2011, 10:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1)But I have heard that Indigo XL Dicor has automatic tappet setting. Then how come the gap would be more?
2)The Pickup is soooo gooooodddd, I love to rev often. And the FE is not bad either. @16-17kpl on highways (I seldom get chance to check the FE in city) and this at the speeds of 100-110kph.
3)I have changed the Timing Belt around 3000-4000kms ago at 136K-137KKms.
I am thinking of Water Pump check since this was missed at that time.

But is the diagnosis of Valve Lifters worn out correct or am I taken for a ride?

How to identify if the Valve Lifters are really worn out by looking at them? Do they have some sort of signs?
1) The "Automatic" part may not be working.
2) This points to problem some where else

The only fool proof way that I know of is to open the head cover and inspect the engine operation at idle. If the lifters are at fault there will be a pronounced chatter around the valves.

Else for all you know the chatter may originate some where else - Water pump, timing belt?
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:36   #23

Bolero GLX 2001 Tappet noise

My Bolero GLX 2001 (136,000 Kms) is quite noisy.
Any suggestions on how the tappet noise can be reduced?
Old 16th May 2018, 09:53   #24
BHPian

2014/15 Polo Tappet Rattle post S/W update

Hi Everyone,

I need some help with regard to the engine tappet noise in my Polo. I have a 2014/15 Polo TDI manual with about 50000km on the ODO.

Overall I have been very satisfied with the vehicle with just the basic maintenance and the one off breakdown because of a defunct fuel pump. Engine and tappet noise was also mostly under control.

It all started when I gave my vehicle for the last service about 5 months ago. I explicitly wrote on the jobcard that I did not want the latest software update however they goofed up and did the update none the less. Since then the vehicle became a mess. The three issues I faced were:

1. Throttle response very bad, you could easily notice a delay in the rpm going up and you pressing the throttle. This was never the case before the update.
2. Horrible tappet clatter especially in 1st, 2nd
3. Very jerky fueling between 2nd and 3rd. This could also be linked to the bad throttle response.

After getting absolutely fedup and extremely disappointed with what the car had become I vented on facebook on the VW page. VW is actually pretty good in this regard and someone reached out to me asking for an opportunity to address the situation. Fast forwarding a couple of days, I was at the dealership and assured by the service head that this was fixable however it was impossible to revert the update (which is bullshit, but its pretty clear that they wont ever revert the software officially at the service center).

They eventually replaced all the injectors and ran a number of adaptations and called me for a test ride. I was plesantly surprised. Fantastic throttle response, jerky gear transitions all gone. There still was a bit of tappet clatter but much lesser than earlier. I was satisfied. I could live with this resuced tappet noise especially since the noise was just at the lowest of RPM and only in 1st and 2nd. If i dint try to find it, I would probably not hear it. I left VW a happy camper!

Three days in (which is today), with the car and the tappet rattle is back with a vengeance! Thankfully throttle response is still spot ON. Fuel quality could not be an issue because im still on the same fuel as I was when I get the car from VW. Havent filled fuel as yet.

So I'm kind of back to square one and looking for some advice from you guys on what to do next. I will obviously have to go back to VW but that process is such an inconvenience. Is there any other information around on how to deal with this tappet noise? Anything I should know before I go back to VW?

Thanks,
Arshish
Old 17th May 2018, 19:06   #25
BHPian

Re: 2014/15 Polo Tappet Rattle post S/W update

My thread was just moved here by the Admin. I think this is better placed in the VW SW update thread rather than here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
Hi Everyone,

I need some help with regard to the engine tappet noise in my Polo. I have a 2014/15 Polo TDI manual with about 50000km on the ODO.

Overall I have been very satisfied with the vehicle with just the basic maintenance and the one off breakdown because of a defunct fuel pump. Engine and tappet noise was also mostly under control.

It all started when I gave my vehicle for the last service about 5 months ago. I explicitly wrote on the jobcard that I did not want the latest software update however they goofed up and did the update none the less. Since then the vehicle became a mess. The three issues I faced were:

1. Throttle response very bad, you could easily notice a delay in the rpm going up and you pressing the throttle. This was never the case before the update.
2. Horrible tappet clatter especially in 1st, 2nd
3. Very jerky fueling between 2nd and 3rd. This could also be linked to the bad throttle response.

After getting absolutely fedup and extremely disappointed with what the car had become I vented on facebook on the VW page. VW is actually pretty good in this regard and someone reached out to me asking for an opportunity to address the situation. Fast forwarding a couple of days, I was at the dealership and assured by the service head that this was fixable however it was impossible to revert the update (which is bullshit, but its pretty clear that they wont ever revert the software officially at the service center).

They eventually replaced all the injectors and ran a number of adaptations and called me for a test ride. I was plesantly surprised. Fantastic throttle response, jerky gear transitions all gone. There still was a bit of tappet clatter but much lesser than earlier. I was satisfied. I could live with this resuced tappet noise especially since the noise was just at the lowest of RPM and only in 1st and 2nd. If i dint try to find it, I would probably not hear it. I left VW a happy camper!

Three days in (which is today), with the car and the tappet rattle is back with a vengeance! Thankfully throttle response is still spot ON. Fuel quality could not be an issue because im still on the same fuel as I was when I get the car from VW. Havent filled fuel as yet.

So I'm kind of back to square one and looking for some advice from you guys on what to do next. I will obviously have to go back to VW but that process is such an inconvenience. Is there any other information around on how to deal with this tappet noise? Anything I should know before I go back to VW?

Thanks,
Arshish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks