Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2009, 19:18   #1
BHPian

Ford Fiesta - Engine is off but some other motor is on

Yesterday I had one of the most strange experience with my Fiesta, after reaching home I removed the keys from my car, however there was some motor which was still spinning, it could not be the AC as the fan and AC were switched off.

I had a car parked in the front and hence I was not able to open and check which motor was it.

I restarted my engine and the noise stopped and I did not have the problem again.

Has anyone experienced this problem before... or any idea as to what motor could this be.
Old 1st September 2009, 20:49   #2
BHPian

This could be a radiator fan . I think in some cars the fan runs automatically even if keys are removed and stops after cooling.
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:52   #3
BHPian

Well even I hope it is the radiator fan, but this ran for more than a minute and that's what scared me. Hope I do not encounter this problem again else I may have to take it to the service center

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda3938 View Post
This could be a radiator fan . I think in some cars the fan runs automatically even if keys are removed and stops after cooling.
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:08   #4
BHPian

It is the radiator fan.

The same thing happened in our Peugeot 307.No cause for worry.

Read in this forum that this happens for the Fiesta as well.
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:13   #5
BHPian

Radiator fan, common occurrence with most new-gen cars. In fact in my car the fan keeps running sometimes for a few seconds (30-odd) after I shut down the engine. You should only be worried if it keeps running for more than a minute.
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:16   #6
BHPian

In my SX4 radiator fan gets off when i remove the key out. but it will keep running till the key is in at off position.
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02 View Post
In my SX4 radiator fan gets off when i remove the key out. but it will keep running till the key is in at off position.
i think it only happens in ford and fiat cars that radiator fan keeps on running even after remove the keys.
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:20   #8
BHPian

It is the radiator fan.
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:46   #9
BHPian

This nothing to worry its the radiator fan .. my fiat palio s10 fan runs for somethime even after I have removed the keys.

No worries.
Old 2nd September 2009, 19:00   #10
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys.... a big relief.

But I find it strange as to why they have this kind of mechanism, especially after removing the keys. I understand it helps to cool of the engine, but they should have built this in the ECM wherein an indicator should let us know the fan radiator is on. For example Fiesta beeps when you switch of the engine and leave your lights on. This is an helpful feature, but a more important feature like radiator fan should have been included. Hope they make this change in the next version
Old 2nd September 2009, 19:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Thanks a lot guys.... a big relief.

But I find it strange as to why they have this kind of mechanism, especially after removing the keys. I understand it helps to cool of the engine, but they should have built this in the ECM wherein an indicator should let us know the fan radiator is on. For example Fiesta beeps when you switch of the engine and leave your lights on. This is an helpful feature, but a more important feature like radiator fan should have been included. Hope they make this change in the next version

one more thing to add also let the ECM decide how much time the fan should run to cool off the engine, depending on the battery condition otherwise it will kill weak/old batteries.
Old 2nd September 2009, 19:23   #12
BHPian

Its a defect

I have a Fiesta and i have experienced this strange thing 6 to 7 times in the last 2 years of my ownership. As u say it is not an ideal behaviour as it doesnt seem to stop the fan even after a minute which is strange.
To bypass this, i switchon the engine again and then stop to overcome the issue.
Its a defect if u ask me.

Regards
Pramod
Old 2nd September 2009, 19:41   #13
BHPian

Happened with me to once or twice in the past 2.5 years of ownership. Bug for sure. Or some logic that is not understandable by end users. Switching on the engine again, fixed the otherwise unnecessarily rotating radiator cooling fan.
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:42   #14
JRD
BHPian

It could be how its been programmed in the ECU. Did you guys have to push your car because the battery was drained due to this fan in 2 years of ownership? Answer is No correct?

It may sound odd that the fan restarts after a while but i think its normal. Other fiesta owners please confirm.
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:45   #15
BANNED

Radiator fan is not normally part of the ignition controlled circuits. Many cars even have warning stickers inside the bonnet to the effect that the fan may come an at any time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks