Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2005, 03:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
Gtech pro -
i saw that product on a TV infomercial ..costs a fortune eh ( i think was 300bucks) ?
but it shows the shifting range along with a lot other readings ..mounted on the windshield ..
am i talking about the same product?
Its very much worth that moolah.I have the SS version,which i purchased last year when it was launched.Its not accurate,but very close to accurate.

X
Old 9th July 2005, 09:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Could you please define a "5g launch"? Sounds more like a cruise missile to me.
Do apologize for the inept acronym use. Its was supposed to read out as "5,000 (GRAND) launch" .
Apologize for the confusion.
Old 9th July 2005, 10:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Launch techniques differ from car to car. What may work wonders on one car might end up being a driver's nightmare on another.
Shan2nu
Through my experience, i have come to believe that before you do anything, put her on a dyno and see what she makes. The chassis and engine dyno tuning and checking should be any modders SOP. You know exactly what your engine's producing and when. There's no set of rules as to how to launch. Prople implement various methods. Suited to some abhorred by the rest. I own a GTti and a Trueno GTS. Both are front drivers but one is a turbocharged vehicle. Launching the GTti takes a whole new approach. You have to launch the GT at lower rpms but have to bounce it at the rev limiter before shifting into second because you wanna get as much forward speed as you can before you grab the next cog, keeping in mind turbo lag and newer ratio. You try doing that in the Trueno and you're getting, NOWHERE FAST.
Other basics usually overlooked help, like wheel & tire selection. Bigger wheels, loosely put, give you taller ratios, while smaller wheels give the effect of a close ratio box.
Old 9th July 2005, 10:12   #19

Quote:
Firstly, like V1p3r has said. Most indian cars cannot have their camber and castor re-arranged.
Shan2nu
I find that information rather irreputable. Are you implying that most Indian cars make away with a annoyances of "wheel alignment" ?
Old 9th July 2005, 11:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find that information rather irreputable. Are you implying that most Indian cars make away with a annoyances of "wheel alignment" ?
When we say wheel allignment, we're talking in terms of toe angles, not camber or castor.

Those things are set by the compny and cannot be changed.

Shan2nu
Old 9th July 2005, 11:17   #21

Quote:
When we say wheel allignment, we're talking in terms of toe angles, not camber or castor.

Those things are set by the compny and cannot be changed.

Shan2nu
Errr. Dude Camber, Castor, Step back, Toe in & out are all adjustable. You can change everything. Whoever told you that these things are non adjustable. You're confusing steering geometry with suspension alighnment.
Thats wh there's slip nuts and shims all over the place. Have a closer look.
Old 9th July 2005, 11:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Errr. Dude Camber, Castor, Step back, Toe in & out are all adjustable. You can change everything. Whoever told you that these things are non adjustable.
The company itself says it's not adjustable. I've got the allignment done so many times and have never seen anybody set anything other than toe angles.

Shan2nu
Old 9th July 2005, 12:01   #23

Hows about a slight refresher!
http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm#Cam
Old 9th July 2005, 12:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

shan2nu i have to agree with him the camber can be adjusted in ALL indian vehicles....this i can assure you because i have had it done on the zen, friend has it on the esteem,honda and baleno
Old 9th July 2005, 12:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

lets not get too off topic here guys all v1p3r wanted to know was how to launch his car....
this is dependent on his :
1. engine tune up
2. tires
3. clutch
so that he gets maximum power with minimum traction loss...this will vary from car to car
Old 9th July 2005, 13:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
shan2nu i have to agree with him the camber can be adjusted in ALL indian vehicles....this i can assure you because i have had it done on the zen, friend has it on the esteem,honda and baleno
Just called up Honda, they still say it can't be done.

Next time i get my car to Blore, you take me to any garage and show me how it's done (without having to replace any part of the suspension).

Shan2nu
Old 9th July 2005, 13:34   #27
Team-BHP Support

I'm sure the camber can be adjusted on the City, atleast the front. The rear may be fixed, as is the case in a few cars to save on costs.
Old 9th July 2005, 13:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sure the camber can be adjusted on the City, atleast the front. The rear may be fixed, as is the case in a few cars to save on costs.
Dude, the Honda technician himself says it can't be done. Ok, im not gonna comment until i actually see it.

Maybe your right, maybe Honda is right, lets reserve the conclusion until we actually see what can or cannot be done.

Shan2nu
Old 9th July 2005, 13:47   #29

It can't be adjusted if its a rigid axle or a and dead axle. Lie down under your car and have a look at the two bolts fastening the shock absorber to the hub/lower contol arm. Using a size 21' spanner, loosen the one at the top and apply force to the top of the wheel. That'll give you a negative camber.Reverse for a positive camber. For tow in or out, adjust the slpi nut on the steering rack clockwise for a toe out and anticlockwise for toe in. Step back is adjusted by the placing shims in the bolt fastening the stabilizer bar to the lower control arm, which also alters the King pin Angle or CASTOR.

I know i'm off topic. No more replies.
Old 9th July 2005, 22:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueno20v
bolts fastening the shock absorber to the hub/lower contol arm. Using a size 21' spanner, loosen the one at the top and apply force to the top of the wheel. That'll give you a negative camber.Reverse for a positive camber. For tow in or out, adjust the slpi nut on the steering rack clockwise for a toe out and anticlockwise for toe in. Step back is adjusted by the placing shims in the bolt fastening the stabilizer bar to the lower control arm, which also alters the King pin Angle or CASTOR.
First of all, what you are saying is correct but specific to your car and some others. You can't make a blanket statement about all cars. Secondy, the two bolts connect the McPherson strut to the steering knuckle. Third, not all cars have McPherson strut suspensions.

Toe can be adjusted in all cars. Camber varies from car to car. As far as castor very few cars have castor adjustment.These days build tolerances are so good that its unnecessary for camber adjustment unless you hit a humungus pothole or if you had an accident, In such circumstances, the company will sell what is called a service strut which has an oval hole instead ofa round hole. With an oval hole and a cam bolt you can adjust camber like Trueno explained. Another method to adjust camber on McPherson is by using camber plates on top of the strut mount. In that case the adjusting can be done under the hood without the need to take off the wheel. Most racers use these coz they are quick and can also do castor.

Last edited by Mpower : 9th July 2005 at 22:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks