Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2005, 16:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Launch techniques

Hey guys

I just wanted to know what the best way to launch a car is. I'm talking about a quick getaway scenario... eg a drag start...

Can you specify clutch slip/dump, launch rpm etc...need to figure out the best combo.

Thanks

Viper

Last edited by v1p3r : 8th July 2005 at 16:22.
Old 8th July 2005, 16:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

i generally rev up ,pull up the E-brake ...easy of on the clutch till you feel the car egding to move ..drop it at GO ..that i feel is the best way to reduce Wheelspin and torque steer ...but need to be synchronised clutch,throttle and e-brake..
Old 8th July 2005, 16:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

At what rpm do you do this? Not feasible in a drag scenario...because you can't really wait to feel it move. Your RT will become like 3 secs or something then!
Old 8th July 2005, 17:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

@ 5000rpm range ...drag scenario in such cases would be the traffic signal along with other friends...i have repeatedly noticed them spinning wheels n sliding while i get a very clean start ..this way i can get the power down the moment the lights turns green without stalling/sliding/wasting traction..

reaction time - depends on how quickly you put the power back on while shifting gears...in this case the power is already applied the brake is just holding the car ..

what happens is my car moves a fraction later than the other cars but when it does it moves cleanly and i am generally ahead at the start regardless of what happens next ...
i drive a Corsa man so i cant boast about its dragging potential ..but even up agaisnt a city and the esteem i have managed a head start in a straight up drag ..
turbo_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2005, 17:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Launch techniques differ from car to car. What may work wonders on one car might end up being a driver's nightmare on another.

If you really wanna improve your launch, buy a Gtech Pro (or something similar), take your car to an open road and practice.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 8th July 2005 at 17:22.
Old 8th July 2005, 17:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Gtech pro -
i saw that product on a TV infomercial ..costs a fortune eh ( i think was 300bucks) ?
but it shows the shifting range along with a lot other readings ..mounted on the windshield ..
am i talking about the same product?
Old 8th July 2005, 18:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

GTO, Revvmaster and Domnic have Gtech Pros. I think Domnic's is a slightly better, more detailed version.

www.gtechpro.com

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 8th July 2005 at 19:03.
Old 8th July 2005, 18:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

yeap thats the one i saw...@199 USD its a must have for a heavily modded car!

Last edited by turbo_lover : 8th July 2005 at 18:25.
Old 8th July 2005, 21:15   #9

You might be surprised, but instead of adding all that fancy equipment, which ultimatly does help, you might wanna start with the basics. FWD owners and tuners, usually overlook the suspension issue when it comes to getting of the mark.
FWD Torque miltiplies significantly by the time it reaches the wheels. A sudden full bore or a conservative 5g launch sees the wheels toe in and the rear end squat causes the weight to transfer backwards giving the wheels a +ive camber in the front. Considering the tyre patch that is actually the size of your palm, a toe in with a +ve camber significantly reduces that patch.

A slight Toe out, a stiffer suspension with atleast 1.5/2.0 degress of -ive camber helps. Using a fresh piece of tarmac coupled with cold tyres isn't a recipie for a good getaway either. Smoke the drive wheels a bit to get some temperature into them, and try to align car on skidmarks of preceeding launches. Already laid out rubber helps traction to surprising degree.
Old 8th July 2005, 21:55   #10
BHPian

welcome Trueno20v IIT-ian...woah was that a piece of info...!
anyways, for me the traditional 2-3k rev method works everytime.
Old 8th July 2005, 21:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

great info there man ...
how about you give us a proper introduction man ...

cheers
Old 8th July 2005, 22:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey, that's useful! But the thing is, with camber and toe-in, won't it affect the whole run as well!

Also, I can't change camber on a stock car easily, so any other tips?
Old 8th July 2005, 22:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueno20v
FWD Torque miltiplies significantly by the time it reaches the wheels. A sudden full bore or a conservative 5g launch sees the wheels toe in and the rear end squat causes the weight to transfer backwards giving the wheels a +ive camber in the front. Considering the tyre patch that is actually the size of your palm, a toe in with a +ve camber significantly reduces that patch.
Could you please define a "5g launch"? Sounds more like a cruise missile to me.
Old 8th July 2005, 23:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueno20v
Firstly, like V1p3r has said. Most indian cars cannot have their camber and castor re-arranged.

By a 5G launch, do you mean the Gs experienced by the wheels? (when they turn). Coz there's no way any car (except dragsters maybe) can launch with a force of 5 Gs.

Instead of all this. If you just raise the rear suspenssion, that'l reduce the amount weight getting transfered to the back, which will reduce the chances of wheel spin and make for a faster getaway.

Dom, didn't you try this on the Civic during the last drag event?

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 8th July 2005 at 23:36.
Old 9th July 2005, 03:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
i generally rev up ,pull up the E-brake ...easy of on the clutch till you feel the car egding to move ..drop it at GO ..that i feel is the best way to reduce Wheelspin and torque steer ...but need to be synchronised clutch,throttle and e-brake..
This is a very good technique,but one has to practice a lot to master it.I've personally seen a lot of drag racers in Japan using this technique.And as you rightly mentioned,the response should be very spontaneous and the RT will be slightly better IMO.

X

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks