Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 10:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I guess the vibration will be transient - ie. if you go up another 20kph it vanishes. This is normally due to the wheel. I do not trust any A$$ to do a good job of balancing.

Another cause could be a bent rim and or a tyre badly misshaped. I will suggest you swap the wheel with one from another location, and see. If it is wheel related then the problem will also switch. Otherwise it has to be the drive shaft, CV joint, etc.

In my uncle's , case , it increases with increase in speed ! The car starts vibrating at 80 and literally seems that it is going to fall apart while doing 100KMPH!!
Old 10th September 2009, 15:03   #17
BHPian

Can it have anything to do with the front struts ?? I was once told by the guys at honda that front struts wearing out can cause vibrations at high speeds.
Old 10th September 2009, 15:40   #18
BANNED

I will suggest you swap the wheel with another, and see if the problem also moves. I know one case the 'bad' wheel had to be moved to the rear and then things became Ok. Nothing else worked.
Old 7th October 2009, 17:46   #19
BHPian

Wagon-R, vibration after 70 kmph

Hi,

Mine is 3 years old Wagon-R, with 25K KMs done. Recently, i am finding the car vibrating when i reach the speed around 70 kmph. Earlier i tried the car upto 120 kmph in highways but it was good.

What i need to check? I told the same when my car went far 20K service with CARS india chennai and it is ok for couple of month after the service and once againthe vibration start.

I am thinking about giving the car for service somewhere else.

Please give your suggestion on when i need to check and suggested place in Chennai.

Regards
Devakumar

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th October 2009 at 18:15. Reason: Please use search before opening a new thread, Thanks
Old 7th October 2009, 18:19   #20
Team-BHP Support

First step: ensure that your car tires are in good condition, including air pressure, no side wall bulges, uneven wear etc.
Second step: if first step is cleared, do wheel balancing for the front 2 tires and check.
Third step: if vibration remains after wheel balancing, check suspension starting with tie-rod ends.

99% chance that it is a wheel balancing issue. For this approach any decent workshop or tire shop with the appropriate equipment facility, hardly takes 10 minutes. Maybe a good idea to do wheel alignment also, ie if it was not done for last 5-7k kms or more.
Old 7th October 2009, 18:32   #21
BHPian

I also had vibrations in my Zen when I used to cross 65kph itself. Checked for alignment also, but everything was fine. Of course, my suspension is not great at the moment and have been told to get it replaced.

But a month back I did a tyre rotation and the vibration went away. I touched 100 kph just to check and the car didnt vibrate at all. So just try switching the front and back tyres and see
Old 7th October 2009, 18:35   #22
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu, i will make sure i will search before posting a new thread .

I will do the wheel balancing for front 2 tires next week and will post the result once i done some high way driving to test.

Thanks.
Old 7th October 2009, 19:10   #23
BHPian

On my WagonR LXI DUO, with upsized 155/65 R13 Michelin XM1+ tyres nitrogen filled to 34 PSI allround. No issues but since it's a new car with only 2k on the clock, so don't expect any.
Old 21st October 2009, 09:26   #24
BHPian

maruti 800 tyre worn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Another cause could be a bent rim and or a tyre badly misshaped. I will suggest you swap the wheel with one from another location, and see. If it is wheel related then the problem will also switch.
+1 to that.Even i had posted before for requesting help on this topic.Heres my case outlined :
I purchased the car as second hand 3 months back.The tyres had already run 50 K. The car starts vibrating only after crossing 80 Kph and dissapears once i reach 100 Kph.So i took it for wheel balancing and Alignement to RNS motors.Got ripped off with 650 Rs.The vibrations reduced for 4-5 days and again resurfaced and this time at 60 Kph
I went back to RNS and they took a test drive and said since the steering wheel was vibrating L-R , it is a wheel worn out issue.I checked my Front left wheel and it had indeed worn out more on one side.Now i am thinking of changing the tyres.My confusion is the other 3 tyres are not worn out as much as the front left , so should i go for all 4 wheels or should i get a used single tyre and try to run it for 5 k more ?.
So in my case i guess it is the Worn out tyre and not the suspension.
As mentioned above would it be a good idea to swap this worn out tyre with the rear one or would i still the same amount of vibrations ?
Old 5th November 2009, 16:47   #25
BHPian

Tyres seems to be the problem

I took my car to a "MRF branded" tyre shop in Selaiyur (East Tambaram, Chennai) which has the wheel balancing facility. Told them the problem and also told them want to do the wheel balancing for the front tyres alone.

The mechanic want a test run and we went around 3 to 4 KMs in various speeds. Then he checked the tyres thoroughly after removing all of them. He old the tyres are 'expanded'. He asked whether the average running i low and is the car is kept in a wet place regularly etc. He is kind of sure the tyres are the problem and suggested not to do any wheel balancing. Also he told the tyres can run another 5 K KM minimum if i can live with the vibration. Since i do not want to spend money this year, i decided not to change now and i am doing mostly city driving.

Then he done swapping of tyres (front to back, and swapped one from left to right etc). After this i found the vibration came down very much (though still it is there).

To my surprise, they haven't charged me anything and haven't insisted me buying from them etc (seems to be good guys, isn't it?).

I am planning to continue for another 5+K (till i cross 30K total) to replace the tyres (or will do if the vibration increases, done 1 K after the tyre swap, seems to be ok).

- Deva

Last edited by Eddy : 5th November 2009 at 16:49. Reason: Removing formatting Tags
Old 7th November 2009, 01:08   #26
BHPian

vibrations can only result due to bad balancing and /or bad tyres or the balance rod bushes check al three your problem will disappear
Old 15th February 2010, 23:39   #27
BHPian

If a small (but thick) puncture repair patch can cause "unbalancing" leading to high speed vibrations, I was wondering if the same phenomenon could be caused by fitting after market wheel covers? Especially if one is cracked! Any thoughts?
Old 16th February 2010, 13:13   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
If a small (but thick) puncture repair patch can cause "unbalancing" leading to high speed vibrations, I was wondering if the same phenomenon could be caused by fitting after market wheel covers? Especially if one is cracked! Any thoughts?
Normally wheel covers are pretty light and a crack in a wheel cover can not really cause imbalance and vibration, unless say there is a broken piece which is causing a huge amount of resistance - which is very unlikely. Yes, an improperly done thick puncture patch can certainly cause vibrations at high speeds and so can swellings in the side walls.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks