Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2009, 16:47   #1
BHPian

Vibrations in My Wagon-R

Hi Gurus,

I am facing a peculiar problem in my Wagon-R. The car starts to vibrate at speeds beyond 80, initially I thought it could be a problem because of wheel alignment and balancing and got it checked and rectified from MASS. However, it does not seem to solve the purpose, the car still vibrates at higher speeds. I plan to take the car to the service center this weekend, what could be the possible reasons for it. I am complete noby when it comes to the technical aspects of a car.

Thanks in advance for all the inputs.

Cheers
Old 7th September 2009, 17:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

First, have you fitted after market alloys to the car? If yes, then the problem could be due to larger hub diameter of the alloy (as compared to the stock wheel). Fitting Hub-centric rings will solve your problem.

Another reason could be worn out bushes, although this will also mean a little bit of noise along with the vibrations.
Old 7th September 2009, 18:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

When you say Vibration, does it in some way relate to engine harshness too?

Since Wheel Balancing has been done, the only other immediate likelyhood would be the worn-out bushes as stated by predatorwheelz.

If the wheels are not alloys, then you may also check the rims for damage/bends from the inside which usually is ignored and also check if any of the tyres underwent a puncture job with a bad patch which also results in these vibrations. Rotate tyres if possible.Isolate the vibration to one section of the car.

The best way to find out would be to go beyond 80kmph and check if the tempo/rythm of the vibrations increase accordingly, else it should be something related to suspension.

If this is harshness, while driving, try to rev the engine in 3rd or 4th gear to higher than normal rpm's and check if these vibrations are felt on lower gears at higher rpm's but lower speeds. If they are felt, it can also be the engine bushes.

How much has the car done so far?

Mine is ready to clock 80,000 today and all the times there were vibrations, the reasons were the ones I mentioned above to do with Tyre, Rim and Balancing. Engine is more unlikely. Suspension can come into picture depending on road conditions and the way the car is used/abused.
Old 7th September 2009, 19:33   #4
BHPian

Thanks parag and predator, no I have not fitted the car with alloys. So that rules out first possibility. Worn out bushes probably, as the car has not been serviced for last 8k kms. How long does these bushes last? My car has done about 40k and is ready for service very soon.

Another thing which I wanted to highlight is that no vibration is felt in speeds below 60-70 but they increase suddenly after 75-80.

Thanks you for inputs, will keep you posted on my experience with MASS
Old 7th September 2009, 22:59   #5
BHPian

I think the biggest question here is your tyres. since you have done around 40k, i'm expecting you recently had a tyre change,and this problem probably started after that only. check the tyres for any bulges of unevenness on tread. if they are the tube type, even the tubes need to be checked for bad puncture repairs like parag said.tires are the sole contact with ground and usually are the first reasons for any vibrations, specially if your alignment and ballancing tests were ok. another thing to consider is BRAKES. if either of your brakes dont release fully, they will cause the car to shudder at high speeds. this should be evident if you step on the brake pedal lightly at the said speed and feel it vibrate as well. finally the suspension and bushes other guys have already pointed out.
Old 7th September 2009, 23:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maktags View Post
Hi Gurus,

I am facing a peculiar problem in my Wagon-R. The car starts to vibrate at speeds beyond 80, initially I thought it could be a problem because of wheel alignment and balancing and got it checked and rectified from MASS. However, it does not seem to solve the purpose, the car still vibrates at higher speeds. I plan to take the car to the service center this weekend, what could be the possible reasons for it. I am complete noby when it comes to the technical aspects of a car.

Thanks in advance for all the inputs.

Cheers
Quote:
Thanks parag and predator, no I have not fitted the car with alloys. So that rules out first possibility. Worn out bushes probably, as the car has not been serviced for last 8k kms. How long does these bushes last? My car has done about 40k and is ready for service very soon.

Another thing which I wanted to highlight is that no vibration is felt in speeds below 60-70 but they increase suddenly after 75-80.

Exact same thing is happenning on my uncle's Wagon R Lxi. We were contemplating wheel alignment & balancing. Now I guess its something more.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

Try changing the air pressure. Test with 31, 33 and 35 psi.

Does this happen on all the roads.

My wagon R gives a sine wave kind of bouncing vibration on some roads.
Always on those roads but not on most roads.
Old 8th September 2009, 11:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gultajkanwal View Post
I think the biggest question here is your tyres. since you have done around 40k, i'm expecting you recently had a tyre change,and this problem probably started after that only. check the tyres for any bulges of unevenness on tread. if they are the tube type, even the tubes need to be checked for bad puncture repairs like parag said.tires are the sole contact with ground and usually are the first reasons for any vibrations, specially if your alignment and ballancing tests were ok. another thing to consider is BRAKES. if either of your brakes dont release fully, they will cause the car to shudder at high speeds. this should be evident if you step on the brake pedal lightly at the said speed and feel it vibrate as well. finally the suspension and bushes other guys have already pointed out.
Kanwal, I have not changed my tyres, they are in decent shape and will surely last for another 5k. Although I will get my tyres checked up also and if needed I will replace my tyres.

Brakes - never thought about it, but good point will surely get them checked also. However, dont seem to feel the vibration at lower speeds( after pressing the pedal lightly)
Old 9th September 2009, 17:10   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

how many kms has the car covered?

it could be because of
  1. the drive shafts
  2. bent rims
  3. tyre irregularities(like a flap inside to cover up a hole)
I have experienced vibration no.3 even in cars like the Honda City,which has tubeless tyres-someone did a shoddy puncture repair job and threw a flap inside as added protection.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

I also faced this problem on WagonR and every time, the tyre pressure was above 30psi.
Old 9th September 2009, 20:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I also faced this problem on WagonR and every time, the tyre pressure was above 30psi.
What pressure do you normally keep for the WR ?
Old 9th September 2009, 21:00   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
33psi for Lxi - 145/70/R13
32psi for Vxi - 155/65/R13

I had the 145 one as stocks and I always ensured 33psi - No Issues ever - City/Highways.

Changed to 155 after 50k kms, maintaining 32psi till date - No problems experienced.
Old 10th September 2009, 09:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I usually keep 30psi for both WagonR VXi and Lancer SLXi.
But from above post, It seems to be wrong for WagonR!!
Old 10th September 2009, 09:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Did you went to MASS? what did they say about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
33psi for Lxi - 145/70/R13
32psi for Vxi - 155/65/R13
I had the 145 one as stocks and I always ensured 33psi - No Issues ever - City/Highways.
I have tubeless 145/70/R13, used to keep 33 for city driving & 35 for highway never felt the vibration except when wheelalignment is incorrect.
Old 10th September 2009, 10:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

I guess the vibration will be transient - ie. if you go up another 20kph it vanishes. This is normally due to the wheel. I do not trust any A$$ to do a good job of balancing.

Another cause could be a bent rim and or a tyre badly misshaped. I will suggest you swap the wheel with one from another location, and see. If it is wheel related then the problem will also switch. Otherwise it has to be the drive shaft, CV joint, etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks