Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2009, 17:23   #1
BHPian

Swift Diesel - Engine sound

My swift vdi develops an engine knocking sound when holding the accelerator at a particular RPM. This happens especially in 2nd gear with A/c on and blower knob set at the lst position(Noisy blower from level 2 onwards and hence inaudible). The guys at the M.A.S.S says that it is due to low quality fuel.(Same readymade answer). So I tried different fuel stations and the same problem persists. So I think that low fuel quality is not the issue. So I took my car to an another service station. There the cheif mechanic said that sound is quite normal with swift diesel. But this sound is not there in two of my friends cars. I have driven both these cars .I was unable to reproduce the sound. In the first MASS they checked the ECM with a device called Tech - 2 and there were no error codes and everything was fine.What could be wrong with my engine or is this sound normal. Any valuable suggestions from the bhpians.

P.S My car has done 10000 kms and third free service was done.
Old 7th September 2009, 17:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

A friend and TBHPian too face similar issue. You dnt get this when your car is on neutral?

Check engine oil level.
Old 7th September 2009, 18:15   #3
BHPian

@jkdas. Thanks for the lightning fast reply.
Oil level is correct. I use mineral oil.(I think MASS guys use mineral oil). Just changed the oil and oil filter and have done less than 200 kms after that(10452 - odo readings)
Old 7th September 2009, 18:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

Try asking them to check for air lock inside the fuel line/filter/pump, actually am planning to do this job tomorrow
Old 8th September 2009, 16:31   #5
BHPian

Hey Ganesh,
I had the similar issue with my car. It develops the 2-sounds or knocking sound at around 40-50kmph. And it retains the same sound throughout.
I did asked the MASS in RNS, BLR to validate this.

They said, this is the normal sound. The 2009 engines are tuned this way.
I was not satisfied though. I have got used to it now.

I thought it was due to Shell Diesel. Now, I am using IOC Diesel with System D. But, the sound persists.
Old 9th September 2009, 19:27   #6
BHPian

Hi,

I have placed a compliant to MASS Customer Care yesterday.
RNS folks called up and took an appointment for this Sat.

Also, there has been 2 more issues.
- some rattling sound in the rear near the parcel tray
- Some Tak Tak Metal Sound Near the Accelarator side

I want to get this thoroughly checked.
Also, in some of the forums I saw this knocking noise is due to ECU not adjusted properly to our driving style. This may be due to delay in the combustion after increasing the accelarator. If we reset the ECU, this may rectify. But, I am not sure.
I have been using IOC Normal Diesel.

I am really not sure, if I have been cheated.
Will Maruti replace the engine or the car if found defective?

Jaggu,
Who is the best service person to contact in RNS Yeshwantpur?
Please let me know.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ine-knock.html
Old 11th September 2009, 18:09   #7
BHPian

@Jaggu
I have talked to MASS guy about your solution. But he said as far as his knowledge goes there is no need for manual bleeding in fuel line and it is done automatically in Swift diesel.
Old 12th September 2009, 10:14   #8
BHPian

@Blackstallion76
I do had the same thoughts as your's. An ECU reset may change things because I was overcautious about my break in/running in period of my then new car(8 Months ago). I never crossed 2.5K rpms while driving. Never crossed 80-90 KPH. May be the ECU never got adjusted to my sedate driving style. Maybe too much of care spoilt my child. Anyways I 'm not going to worry too much about that from now onwards. I know its a waste of time
Old 12th September 2009, 16:18   #9
Team-BHP Support

@blackstallion76: I havent gone to RNS yeshwanthpur after last fiasco, so no contacts there anymore :(

@ganeshtvpm: RNS hosur rd did the bleed job and my car sounds better now, but i dont have any info on what they really did, after i reported the same last week when i gave for some minor repairs.
Old 12th September 2009, 21:54   #10
BHPian

Mr. Ganesh,
1) Have you checked the Air-filter?
2) Does the sound comes only during the initial start?
3) Have you changed the diesel filter?

There is one product called Bardahl Diesel Combustion Improver. It is available in Mangalore. Also add Bardahl Oil supplement for new engines, after oil/filter change. Certainly your problems will be solved.

Good luck.
Old 14th September 2009, 12:00   #11
BHPian

Ganesh,

Went to RNS and asked for thorough vehicle testing by Maruti Engineer.
They confirmed about clutch issue and they are replacing this week.
Replacing only Clutch Set and not the Flywheel with bleeding.

About, Engine sound:
Just 4 days back I had tanked up IOC Normal Diesel with System D.
Engine has become lot smooth. But, still the knocking sound is there and it has reduced around 30%. They service advisor confirms that knocking sound will be there in all diesels. They had rectified the knocking issue in 2cars from last 2 weeks using cleaning the airfilter and residues + topping Shell Diesel.
Now, they were advising Shell Diesel. Donno why?
However, we have to maintain them using good diesel and engine oil.
Also, as the engine runs more around 5K or 10K, the engine becomes much smoother.

The service guy said, he would clean the airfilter and any other residues in the engine outlets. Also, he would check the engine response cycle using Tech2.

I demanded that before any service folks touch my car, i want the second opinion from Maruti Engineer and also have placed a compliant.

Also, I am requesting them to drain PRIDE XL engine Oil and put Mobil Delvac MX.

I will update may be before the week ends.
Old 15th September 2009, 19:57   #12
BHPian

@BlackStallion
I think it is not fuel quality related. I am now filling fuel from a state owned fuel pump (Civil supplies corporation.) and still having that sound.(Govt owned means less adulteration.)
Old 16th September 2009, 11:52   #13
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Met the Maruti Engineer in RNS. We went for a good 15-20mins test drive.
I highlighted him about all the issues and the engine sound.

First thing he pointed out was, Diesel Knocking is present in all DDiS and other diesel vehicles as well.

The knocking is due to carbon residues used up from additives and adultered Diesel.
MASS cannot rectify this issue. He showed me his DZire VDI. Even that vehicle had the same knocking sound. This sound pops up at particular RPM. (He called it as Partial Knocking).

With the latest fill from IOC in RV Road (Bangalore) + System D. The engine noise has been reduced drastically around 50%.

One more thing, he pointed out was; there were some missing dampners in the wiring harness from the engine compartment. These were removed during central locking and power windows aftermarket fitment.
He suggested to close them so that engine noise would be reduced to enter the cabin.

Overall, I have accepted with the reason and have to live with it.
He suggested to get the Air Filter cleaned every 5K/10K/15K/20K service and use good & trusted diesel pumps.

If this knocking is more and sounds harshness then he suggested to clean the engine mounts/injectors etc. I did not want to go for this since mine is just 1 month car.
I will get this cleaned during 5K service.

Also, he suggested not to use any additives like System D or Barnahl.
It does develop some corrosion after removing the residues. Maruit does not suggest this.

Maruti Engineer Suggestion:
Just Normal Diesel from good pump (Either IOC, HP, Shell) and no additives
And put Mobil Delvac MX or 1300 or Servo PRIDE
Get the vehicle serviced at regular intervals

Now the question for me is:
Which are the best diesel outlets in bangalore?
I live in Banashankari 3rd stage. With the latest fill, I see the IOC Outlet on RV Road beside Ganesha temple is trustable.

Any suggestions please.
Old 16th September 2009, 12:29   #14
BANNED

@blackstallion: I do not understand that while Servo Pride is only API CF4 or CG4 (depending on where you read the spec sheet), Delvac MX is CI4+ and Delvac 1300 CI4. In other words these are far superior oils. So take the advice with a pinch of salt. Remember MGO for petrols from IOC is only API-CC while the specs call for API-SG!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2009, 14:18   #15
BHPian

@sgiitk:
is it a suggestion to stick to Maruti Eng advice or
is it an argument on Servo PRIDE vs Mobil MX?
Is it good to use IOC Normal Diesel or anything else?

Also, there is some discussion about cetane number.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rformance.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks