Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 22:15   #1

Removing Paint Spots from my car

I had taken my wife's Zen Estilo for service to the dealer workshop. When the car was returned there were white paint patches (fingerprints mostly) on the plastic parts and side moulding. I tried IPA (IsoPropyl Alchohol) and 3M PlastShield but they were not effective in removing the patches. My last option is to use some cotton soaked in turpentine/paint thinner, but that might burn/eat the plastic parts. :-(

Anyone has any solution to removing these?
Old 15th September 2009, 08:19   #2
BHPian

Give a try with some rubbing polish, than experimenting with stronger solvents. Hope it works, even if it does'nt it wouldn't harm the existing paint.
Old 15th September 2009, 09:55   #3
jav
BHPian

Try diesel and use a toothbrush for the side molding, should work, then wash it off with soap water as it attracts a lot of dust.
jav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2009, 10:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosa View Post
...white paint patches (fingerprints mostly) on the plastic parts and side moulding.
Anyone has any solution to removing these?
Use nail-polish remover (acetone). Paint it on to the patches with a paintbrush (don't get it on painted surfaces), then wipe off immediately with a clean dry cloth. Repeat if necessary. Rub on a propreitory plastic polish (such as dashboard polish) once the job is done.
Old 15th September 2009, 10:30   #5
Team-BHP Support

I got rid of the paint spots which had fallen on my bike (thanks to the painting work going on on the building beside) using thinner. To prevent any damage, use a cloth dipped in thinner to wipe off the paint on rubber and plastic parts, and immediately wipe clean with a clean cloth.

This way, you can ensure its done with no damage.
Old 15th September 2009, 10:39   #6
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Diesel works best on paint stains on plastic. However, do note that it will be better if you wash it off afterwards with warm soapy water to remove all traces of the diesel, else it will attract dust and have a lot of build up of grime.
Old 15th September 2009, 11:15   #7
BANNED

I would prefer diesel. Thinner/acetone/CTC etc. will attack the paintwork far faster.
Old 15th September 2009, 13:51   #8
BHPian

Had a bad experience of using Thinner on plastic...A thought of cleaning my Pana Handycam came to my mind one day and was wondering of the best way of cleaning it. Water was a no-no but did'nt know I was heading for a worst idea than that. Got hold of a thinner bottle, dripped some drops on a cotton piece and started wiping it.
The moment it cam in contact with the plastic chrome finish the luster just vanished and left a real bad dark scar on it. The cam finish was damaged forever thanks to me..

So please try out on a similar finish surface before going in for Thinner or stronger solvents...
Old 18th September 2009, 21:18   #9

Thanks everyone for the inputs.

I was able to remove the patches successfully using nail polish remover. The plastic and rubber parts seem to be intact.By the way, diesel did not work for me.
Old 18th September 2009, 22:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Glad the problem got worked out...

But I would have sent the car back to the workshop and made them clean it...
Old 19th September 2009, 08:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Use nail-polish remover (acetone).
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosa View Post
I was able to remove the patches successfully using nail polish remover. The plastic and rubber parts seem to be intact.
Well, the prescription worked! But you never explained why on earth those paint marks got there in the first place.
Old 19th September 2009, 11:25   #12

Quote:
Well, the prescription worked! But you never explained why on earth those paint marks got there in the first place.
Thank you.

About how the paint marks got there - All hail Maruti Suzuki dealer workshop! During purchase, the dealer had thrown in under-body antirust and Acrylic Paint Sealant (APS = clear coat ?!) as freebies in the deal. This "paint protection" has a warranty of 1 year and during the service they took the car to the painting area (no paint shop in this workshop) to redo the APS. I believe that's how the patches got there. But, as usual, the workshop folks denied any involvement when I pointed out the patches during delivery. For once, I was too tired to get into an argument again and go through their cumbersome escalation process. So I drove off never to go back there again!
Old 17th April 2012, 12:05   #13
BHPian

Paint spots on my black i20

Hi...

I've moved into a new apartment and there's exterior painting that's still underway.... I usually keep my car covered (though it's a CCP, due to the painting work), but forgot to do so last weekend

Now the right front door, parts of the right rear and a large part of the bonnet have these really small paint drops (dots more than drops of white paint).

Would greatly appreciate it you folks could suggest a way out... I took the car to the service center and the chaps there suggested a teflon coat.... I wasn't entirely convinced though....

Thanks a bunch...
Cheerz
Old 17th April 2012, 12:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Paint spots on my black i20

Visit 3M car Care near The Arunachalaya Hotel, Nungambakkam.
They will easily get rid of the paint spots using claying and if needed some rubbing.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...e-chennai.html

Last edited by aks_karthik : 17th April 2012 at 12:30.
aks_karthik is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 12:38   #15
BHPian

Re: Paint spots on my black i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
Hi...

I've moved into a new apartment and there's exterior painting that's still underway.... I usually keep my car covered (though it's a CCP, due to the painting work), but forgot to do so last weekend

Now the right front door, parts of the right rear and a large part of the bonnet have these really small paint drops (dots more than drops of white paint).

Would greatly appreciate it you folks could suggest a way out... I took the car to the service center and the chaps there suggested a teflon coat.... I wasn't entirely convinced though....

Thanks a bunch...
Cheerz
I had the same problem. Got some spots on the car as our society was getting painted. I cleaned with soft cloth and water. Some of the spots went way. For the stubborn ones used petrol ( just put a drop ) and immediately clean with water. It worked fine as my car is of silver color. Black color not sure if it would work
mm403 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks