Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2009, 12:43   #31
BHPian

Thanks Soumya.

Been googling and reading a lt yesterday and from the hyundai-forum site, there have been quite a few cases of warm up stalling. Now these guys have changed not just batteries, but also sensors and fuel pumps among other things. But those cases from the US. You know the policy they have in the US,na - USE and replace; convince and confuse

So hoping and praying that the battery change will solve it. But a little sckeptical of the solution when you dissect the problem.

Car starts on cold start with absolutely no issues and no additional cranking required. But after driving, even a low charge in the battery will get charged,na. So if the initial alternator load is drawn at 8-9v and it works fine, the warm restart should have at least that 8-9v charge.

Music is a must for me and it starts when the car starts and stops when the car stops. No component hi-fi . Just a good Sony headunit and great JBL GT speakers. Thinking whether the music system is driving the battery to a low charge. I am not an AC guy, so mostly drive on the natural warmth with the wind blowing through my face, except in city driving where AC is a must.

Given this, guys, please suggest what am I missing in my analyses and let me know what areas I should be looking as well.
Old 7th November 2009, 18:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest to get the starter replaced. tell service center the car doesnt start after engine has run for sometime. nothing else and see what solution they give.
Old 8th November 2009, 22:20   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
i would suggest to get the starter replaced. tell service center the car doesnt start after engine has run for sometime. nothing else and see what solution they give.

Thanks, gigy. I explained that in detail to the service advisor at the servicing visit on thursday and he indicated that battery replacement as the solution.

wondering if should visit any other hyundai service dealer shop.
Old 14th November 2009, 13:14   #34

Would you pl. get in touch with my Regional Service Co-ordinator, who will brief you about the status and requirement to change of the battery.

Regards,
Cooabdservice
Old 14th November 2009, 13:17   #35

Would you pl. get in touch with our Regional Service Coordinator by name Mr. Ram Kumar having mobile number 9008169696 to brief you and serve you better.

Regards,
cooabdservice
Old 13th January 2012, 14:57   #36
BHPian

WagonR 4 years old

Day before yesterday I parked my car in office with headlights on and it drained the battery. Yesterday the service guys came over and did a jump start. I was asked to drive for 10 kms which I did. I didnt find any issues while taking the car back home or while bringing it to office today.

But when i tried to start it now, there seems to be a problem . On first key turn, the displays are being shown but on next, nothing happens, but the display is off(as it should be). There is a difference when compared to last day as im able to use my remote to open the car and the display is shown which was not teh case earlier. I called the service center again. They told they can provide a jump start but they cant guarantee anything as the battery might need a replacement.

Few queries:
Does this too sound as a battery problem?
Its 4 years old, is it time for replacement?
If so, which is the best brand (performance/economic)

Thanks!
Old 14th January 2012, 20:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should I replace my battery??

At four years the battery is near the end of life. So get it replaced. Here in Delhi we have both Excide and Amaron selling well, down south Amaron is more popular, so you may get that.
Old 28th November 2012, 09:40   #38
BHPian

I had given my car for servicing yesterday, Honda City, Jan 2010. The service seems to indicate replacement of battery, so does the dealer. Can anybody suggest whether the replacement is really required based on the attached report? The car has done a little over 31,000 km.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I replace my battery??-battery-test.jpg  

Old 29th November 2012, 15:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
I had given my car for servicing yesterday, Honda City, Jan 2010. The service seems to indicate replacement of battery, so does the dealer. Can anybody suggest whether the replacement is really required based on the attached report? The car has done a little over 31,000 km.
In case you car starts without fuss in the morning, you can carry on with this battery, even though the cranking capacity is down quite a bit.

In case you have problems starting, change it ASAP.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 15:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In case you car starts without fuss in the morning, you can carry on with this battery, even though the cranking capacity is down quite a bit.

In case you have problems starting, change it ASAP.
Thanks, the service assistant was stressing on starting problems in mornings, considering the approaching winter. My car is parked in the open and starts with one turn of the key in mornings. So, I can carry on for now.
Old 29th November 2012, 15:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, the service assistant was stressing on starting problems in mornings, considering the approaching winter. My car is parked in the open and starts with one turn of the key in mornings. So, I can carry on for now.
If you were in Delhi, that would require contemplation. In Thane with mild winters, you can hang on till starting becomes a problem.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:11   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The battery is near 3 years old i.e. from date of car delivery so date of manufacture will be 1-2 months more. I assume you have the OEM battery.

That report is from a battery analyser tool and it is normally accurate.

You can continue using this battery but do keep in mind they are known to fail at the most inopportune moment (like an incandescent bulb) during early morning start attempts, traffic signals et al. Chances of failure increase during cooler weather.

If you travel mostly within the city then its not risky as you can call on Honda's dealer or Exide's bat-mobile service (keep their local number handy) for help. But if you do long distance or travel outside city limits especially with family I would suggest getting the battery re-tested at another battery dealer and then deciding on a replacement.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 22:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

My car is nearing six years and i am still running on stock battery. From past couple of months i am observing the car doesn't start if i stop in signals. I need to crank it few times. This typically happens if i stop and try to start immediately.

But the car starts without any issues in the morning even in the cool Bangalore mornings. I have noticed if i honk for long the horn looses its crisp sound

Are these signs of battery failing some odd day? Or something else is wrong?
Old 10th December 2012, 11:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
My car is nearing six years and i am still running on stock battery. From past couple of months i am observing the car doesn't start if i stop in signals. I need to crank it few times. This typically happens if i stop and try to start immediately.

But the car starts without any issues in the morning even in the cool Bangalore mornings. I have noticed if i honk for long the horn looses its crisp sound

Are these signs of battery failing some odd day? Or something else is wrong?
Yes the battery is showing its age.

Regarding starting problems when hot, please get the car tuned, and check for any vapour lock in the fuel lines.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 11:48   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Yes the battery is showing its age.

Regarding starting problems when hot, please get the car tuned, and check for any vapour lock in the fuel lines.
Can you please explain bit more on tuning aspect ? what exactly do i need to tell the SA ? Starting problems are totally unpredictable and are more prominent if the audio system is playing with engine off. So i am idling the engine at signals to avoid getting stranded.

I think i should take my car to service over the weekend.

Most Viewed