Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2012, 11:52   #46
BHPian

Re: Should I replace my battery??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
My car is nearing six years and i am still running on stock battery. From past couple of months i am observing the car doesn't start if i stop in signals. I need to crank it few times. This typically happens if i stop and try to start immediately.

But the car starts without any issues in the morning even in the cool Bangalore mornings. I have noticed if i honk for long the horn looses its crisp sound

Are these signs of battery failing some odd day? Or something else is wrong?
I prefer change the battery. Hopefully you may be selling the same in next 5 to 6 years so it is better to stay in peace with new battery. Go with authorized dealer with warranty and serial number written on the card. You will get exchange price of 500 to 600 bucks also
aka_iitd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 14:14   #47
BANNED

I think six years is long enough. Do not chance your luck any further. Battery is not generating enough juice to take a sustained load (horn issue). Get a decent one. I see no point in going for a long warranty since after 2 to 2-1/2 years the warranty becomes pro-rata and since all calculations are on the list price, it is cheaper to buy an new one than go after a warranty claim.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 16:50   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please explain bit more on tuning aspect ? what exactly do i need to tell the SA ? Starting problems are totally unpredictable and are more prominent if the audio system is playing with engine off. So i am idling the engine at signals to avoid getting stranded.

I think i should take my car to service over the weekend.
What he means is that some of the fuel in the fuel lines is being converted to vapour probably due to heat. Vapour cannot be pumped by the fuel pump and it causes a temporary shortage of fuel to the engine.

But I think the cause is somewhere else. Vapour lock is not unheard of in modern cars but happens rarely and only in petrol engine variants if at all.

6 years is really pushing it and you need to replace it just so that you don't get stuck unexpectedly. 6 years? Wow..kudos to that battery.

When you take it to the service station get the charging system checked as a precaution before you replace the battery. Normally charging system is checked at every annual service.

Choice of battery Exide/Amaron/SF/Tata Green is yours.

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th December 2012 at 16:51.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 16:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
What he means is that some of the fuel in the fuel lines is being converted to vapour probably due to heat. Vapour cannot be pumped by the fuel pump and it causes a temporary shortage of fuel to the engine.

But I think the cause is somewhere else. Vapour lock is not unheard of in modern cars but happens rarely and only in petrol engine variants if at all.

6 years is really pushing it and you need to replace it just so that you don't get stuck unexpectedly. 6 years? Wow..kudos to that battery.

When you take it to the service station get the charging system checked as a precaution before you replace the battery. Normally charging system is checked at every annual service.

Choice of battery Exide/Amaron/SF/Tata Green is yours.
It is a petrol car.

I know six years is a big stretch, but then it starts at first crank in the morning(have started at 4AM as well in bangalore weather) so i was cross checking if it is really battery.

So i will get the charging system checked along with the battery. What about the starter ? and tuning ?

I gave for service just 4 months back, but then these SA dont touch anything unless i ask them i guess
Old 10th December 2012, 17:01   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So i will get the charging system checked along with the battery. What about the starter ? and tuning ?
My top suspect is still the battery. But since you will go all the way to the ASC to get the car checked they might as well check the tuning (highly unlikely as cause) and fuel filter (unlikely, unless it was never replaced and you use/used petrol with sediments).

Do note, if the filter is badly clogged it may be worthwhile to get the tank checked/cleaned as well. This is a simple procedure. There's a drain valve for this purpose on most fuel tanks. If it is truly messy then they will have to take out the tank and clean it manually. A slightly more difficult task that takes a few hours to complete.

If you are a DIY, get into the habit of checking the charging system at least once a year. If you depend on the dealer for this check have them do it when you give you car for a service.

PS - starter motor is also unlikely.

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th December 2012 at 17:04.
Old 10th December 2012, 17:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My top suspect is still the battery. But since you will go all the way to the ASC to get the car checked they might as well check the tuning (highly unlikely as cause) and fuel filter (unlikely, unless it was never replaced and you use/used petrol with sediments).

Do note, if the filter is badly clogged it may be worthwhile to get the tank checked/cleaned as well. This is a simple procedure. There's a drain valve for this purpose on most fuel tanks. If it is truly messy then they will have to take out the tank and clean it manually. A slightly more difficult task that takes a few hours to complete.

If you are a DIY, get into the habit of checking the charging system at least once a year. If you depend on the dealer for this check have them do it when you give you car for a service.

PS - starter motor is also unlikely.
Just a doubt. Is it better to go to a battery dealer or Car service(Maruti) or try online website such as Batterybhai.com(they offer 500 rs discount on old battery as well)

I am not sure if the maruti service stocks brand new batteries. I hope i can check the battery manufacturing date or something to see if its new or old. What should be the tolerance level ? upto six month old battery or something ?
Old 10th December 2012, 17:52   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just a doubt. Is it better to go to a battery dealer or Car service(Maruti) or try online website such as Batterybhai.com(they offer 500 rs discount on old battery as well)

I am not sure if the maruti service stocks brand new batteries. I hope i can check the battery manufacturing date or something to see if its new or old. What should be the tolerance level ? upto six month old battery or something ?
I am not experienced with the online battery portals. Don't buy from Maruti as it will be more expensive than in the outside market.

Once you decide on the brand (BTW which brand was the original?) call their helpline and they will probably be able to give you details of the nearest dealer. Exide or Amaron are the fastest moving batteries so you should be assured of fresh(er) stocks compared to other brands. The battery should not be more than 3 months old. Newer the stock the better it is. Insist on fresh stock only. Ask the battery dealer for the manufacture date.

If you go to a battery dealer instead of buying online he will also check the charging system for you.
Old 10th December 2012, 17:58   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Infact any local dealer will give 500 bucks back for old battery but free fitting and testing (not a big deal but why to mess up)
Old 15th December 2012, 11:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

Got my car battery replaced just now. Placed an order on BatteryBhai.com and these guys are pretty fast and can do a same day installation if required.

I went for Exide Champion 35ah(Got a Nov stock) which comes with 18 months free replacement and cost was about 2700 after exchange of my almost 6 year old (yet functioning) battery. My car is getting 6 yr old and i may keep it for another 2 years max so did not make sense to pay extra moolah for pro rata based warranty.

Coming to Batterybhai, rates are pretty good and they have tie up wth dealers in various cities and the order is fulfilled by local exide dealer in my case. i placed an order yesterday evening at 6PM and the dealer was willing to get it installed even at late evening(9-10PM). which is good for someone who is in a hurry but since I was not in so much hurry, so asked him to come next day.

So a good feedback so far. and i guess i am becoming more and more online day by day !!

Last edited by rajshenoy : 15th December 2012 at 12:01.
Old 26th December 2012, 10:34   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you were in Delhi, that would require contemplation. In Thane with mild winters, you can hang on till starting becomes a problem.
Quote:
If you travel mostly within the city then its not risky as you can call on Honda's dealer or Exide's bat-mobile service (keep their local number handy) for help. But if you do long distance or travel outside city limits especially with family I would suggest getting the battery re-tested at another battery dealer and then deciding on a replacement.
I had been to Panchgani over the last 4 days. The weather was pretty cold and the car was parked in open. It started in the mornings at the first turn of the key, never faced any problem.

During the last service, the advisor also told me to replace the tyres, even though I can see at least 3 mm tread consistently on all the tyres. I had not refilled air for a long time. In spite of this, all the tyres held on to the pressure; on all kinds of roads (concrete, asphalt, good, bad, non-existent, etc.). I drove close to 650 km over these 4 days.

From now on, I've to take service advisor recommendations with a table spoon if salt.
Old 4th July 2013, 18:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
I had given my car for servicing yesterday, Honda City, Jan 2010. The service seems to indicate replacement of battery, so does the dealer. Can anybody suggest whether the replacement is really required based on the attached report? The car has done a little over 31,000 km.
Hi Kiran,

Where did you get such a report from? Does anyone know where I could get a similar analysis done in Chennai?

Thanks!
Old 4th July 2013, 19:04   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Hi Kiran,

Where did you get such a report from? Does anyone know where I could get a similar analysis done in Chennai?

Thanks!
All service stations have a kit which tests the battery. I have seen it at Honda service station and also the service station where I eventually changed the battery.
sa_kiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 19:13   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
All service stations have a kit which tests the battery. I have seen it at Honda service station and also the service station where I eventually changed the battery.
Great, thanks. By 'service stations' do you mean A*S*S only? My local battery shop has testing equipment but it doesn't generate a printed report like the one you uploaded.
Old 4th July 2013, 19:14   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Great, thanks. By 'service stations' do you mean A*S*S only? My local battery shop has testing equipment but it doesn't generate a printed report like the one you uploaded.
Yes, A S S. It is not a high tech equipment. Every Tom Dick and Harry will have it. Your local shop is an exception.
sa_kiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 08:35   #60
BHPian

My UVA OEM battery (Exide Freedom 50DIN) lasted for exactly 6 yrs. It didnt give any starting trouble even once. But when I came back after a week travel, it failed to start the car. Power window was working, but with a very slow movement. Tested in a local shop and the voltage was only 10V. Even after charging, it didn't increase. On testing the specific gravity, the dealer told 2 cells have gone.

Replaced with an Exide Max 50DIN (18 months warranty) for 5K (with old battery buy back).

(Dont thinks that the dealer is being nice to buy back the old battery. Its mandatory for them to buyback as per government norms. But some guys will show it as a value add from their end. Return the old battery only to authorized dealers. Else it may end up in crude smelting shops which creates an environmental hazard of Lead poisoning)

Most Viewed