Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 13:56   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@vigsom: I have experienced the same problem in my 2003 Esteem and got the pins changed under extended warranty twice. However, when the problem resurfaced, I decided I will put an end to it. This is when the service advisor at MASS told me of a solution (I am not exactly sure what was done) by adding a nylon bush which is done outside MASS at a lathe, I guess. I remember paying a few hundreds for that but believe me, there has been no noise ever since. It is almost more than 3 years since I got this done. The MASS I go to is CARS India at Ambattur.
How long did it take for the noise to come back after replacing the pins? I am actually thinking of doing the same instead of changing the caliper as a whole.
Old 27th May 2010, 17:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Are You Sure It Is The Calipers?

Hi guys,

I am not sure if my problem is the same as yours but the symptoms were alike. I have a 2005 Swift Vxi and just around last year in October experienced a scruffing/grinding sound that was not constant but was more prominent in the rains i.e. in conditions which had alot of moisture in the air. This sound was audible while driving regularly at around 40kmph but used to disappear or be inaudible at speeds above that. However, it used to be prominent at half braking at low speeds.

I was convinced that it were the calipers that were jammed and touching the brake discs. But after a detailed inspection by my expert mechanic, we found the wheel hubs to be bent and due to this the brake discs and callipers were wobbling and scruffing. problem solved after changing the hubs.

P.S. Hubs are very hard to bend and usually bend in an event of an accident involving a side collision which moves the car sideways. I had an accident that involved a side collision in 2007 and the effects cropped up in October 2009.
Old 6th March 2011, 08:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Caliper Noise Problem - Common Problem But No Solution Yet

I have had this noise emanating from my Spark for ever. I have given it for work 3 times now but the noise resurfaces after about 1000 kms. I will try replace the calipers under warranty and see if there is a permanent solution.
Old 2nd April 2011, 18:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have just had my both the pin calipers replaced under warranty for my Spark and now the noise is gone. But frankly I don't think the older calipers were defective and i guess the noise will just reappear again after some time. So whats the permanent solution for this? My Ford Ikon touch wood does not have this problem for over 7 years now.
Old 24th December 2011, 00:27   #20
BHPian

I have caliper noise problem on my 2006 Indica Xeta (~34k km).

The sound emanates from the front right wheel, when I brake. Its a "krrrrt.. krrrtt" sound that is quite irritating. Initially caliper greasing would silence the caliper for a couple thousand km, but now this solution does not work.

I am planning to get the pads / rotors / Caliper assembly changed to rid this problem.

As pointed out in earlier post, this issue is not car specific as brake assembly is manufactured by few vendors who supply to many manufacturers. I think driving conditions matter too (dusty roads => noisy brakes)
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 03:34   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ caliper pin noise is heard when the car runs ; apply the brakes and the noise disappears.

The noise you are referring to is something else.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 12:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ caliper pin noise is heard when the car runs ; apply the brakes and the noise disappears.

Vigsom,

Thanks for pointing this out!

Need new diagnosis then, and now I am not sure how much I can trust my brakes
Old 23rd February 2012, 06:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom

Sorry for a delayed update, I got the pads and discs replaced and the noise disappeared. This time I have switched to Bosch brake pads ans the brakes are feeling good, after about 4000 kms in Bangalore traffic, the bite is still like new
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:44   #24
BHPian

I too have the same problem in my alto as diagnosed by MASS and if someone would post a DIY for greasing the pins for us it would be great .
Old 1st March 2012, 17:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Came across this post today. The problem is simple, the solution not so

Problem. The materials for the caliper pins are sub standard. That is they are softer than they were designed to be, hence after some time they wear out slightly, resulting in play, hence noise. As there are only a handful of OEM for all, the problem may be there in a lot of brands. Most probably one of the suppliers of special steel pins to the OEM is the culprit.

Solution. Though greasing will relieve the problem, it is only a short term solution. What you need is a harder pin. Here is what you can do.
. Get a new pin
. Find a fabricator who does "case hardening". This is a process where the metal is treated to create a much harder surface, leaving the inside soft.
. Fit the treated pin with grease and forget it till time for changing the pads come.
Old 1st March 2012, 18:06   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

roy dada,

you're right but the only apprehension is how good the fabricator is; a reliable fabricator is a sure shot boon

i know cases where a circumferential cut is made in the pin and then a o-ring is put ;some cars have it this way from the factory

i continue to use the wheel bearing grease formula and get pins greased everytime the noise rears its head
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
roy dada,

you're right but the only apprehension is how good the fabricator is; a reliable fabricator is a sure shot boon

i know cases where a circumferential cut is made in the pin and then a o-ring is put ;some cars have it this way from the factory

i continue to use the wheel bearing grease formula and get pins greased everytime the noise rears its head
All that you to do is to find fabricators who have "Nitriding" facility. They use Cyanide to heat treat metal surface. There normally is at least one such establishment in "Flatter Factory" premises.

As you will be using the OEM pin there should be no problem even if the Nitriding is not good, the pin surface will be harder than original.
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:30   #28
BHPian

I got my car SWIFT ZXi serviced recently, and the service advisor suggested to me that the Brake Caliper pins have to be machined. I did not feel there was any noise or something, however went along as suggested by the advisor. Now after reading the topic here, it seems that it was a good idea to get them machined as a proactive measure.
Old 2nd March 2012, 13:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
I got my car SWIFT ZXi serviced recently, and the service advisor suggested to me that the Brake Caliper pins have to be machined. I did not feel there was any noise or something, however went along as suggested by the advisor. Now after reading the topic here, it seems that it was a good idea to get them machined as a proactive measure.
Never heard that anybody machines caliper pins. If there is a problem one has to replace them.
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitl View Post
Never heard that anybody machines caliper pins. If there is a problem one has to replace them.
Got the car serviced at Maruti A.S.S SPECTRA MOTORS in Borivali East, and apparently they did it. I am not aware of the technicals. I guess we need to confirm either from SPECTRA, SAI SERVICE etc, if indeed is the case, unless they pulled a fast one on me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks