Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2011, 00:04   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea Ground Clearance Issue

when my linea was new i scrapped her bottom 8-10 times. this was in my first 2 outstation trips. i scrapped her even though i had a lot of driving experience of hell lot of different cars.

today i dont scrape any bump which i used to scrap earlier.

agreed that the GC is low but soon you learn how to tackle it.
And dont worry if she is hit from below. the engine guard is very strong and takes all the blow. yes but ur heart sinks when it scrapes below.
Old 10th September 2011, 00:52   #47
BHPian

i do agree to that. but in the end, we need to actually have a solution to the problem. there is something that i have figured out! i drove a friends' linea TJET today. its tyre size is 1 inch greater than the multijet (that i own!). so now that its time to change the tyres, i plan to upsize the tyres. and trust me, its does make a difference! lets discuss more on this. any comments and/or suggestions are more than welcome.
Old 10th September 2011, 22:29   #48
BHPian

^ it would result in loss of warranty.
Old 10th September 2011, 22:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you guys go for the 16" inchers of the T-Jet so you get some extra clearance?
Old 11th September 2011, 01:56   #50
BHPian

i am not too sure about the warranty getting void as fiat is now selling the linea with an upsize tyre. still i'll try inquiring more about it once.
Old 12th September 2011, 22:08   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
its tyre size is 1 inch greater than the multijet (that i own!). so now that its time to change the tyres, i plan to upsize the tyres. and trust me, its does make a difference! lets discuss more on this. any comments and/or suggestions are more than welcome.
You have to be careful choosing an upsize for the tyres. An overall increase in diameter of the wheel may cause the tyre to scrap from the inside of the wheel well while taking sharp turns. To avoid this you may have to choose a higher profile tyre but with lesser width (footprint).

If FIAT is now selling the Linea with an upsize tyre then they must have reduced the ply of the steering to avoid the above problem. This also means slightly increased turning radius.
BTW, what is the turning radius of Linea?

Last edited by Chewbacca : 12th September 2011 at 22:14.
Old 13th September 2011, 10:09   #52
BHPian

wait. they're selling mjd linea's with upsize? what is the size that they are fitting? turning radius is 5.55m for all models, including tjet ( which has 16 inchers)
Old 15th September 2011, 18:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
You have to be careful choosing an upsize for the tyres. An overall increase in diameter of the wheel may cause the tyre to scrap from the inside of the wheel well while taking sharp turns. To avoid this you may have to choose a higher profile tyre but with lesser width (footprint).

If FIAT is now selling the Linea with an upsize tyre then they must have reduced the ply of the steering to avoid the above problem. This also means slightly increased turning radius.
BTW, what is the turning radius of Linea?
thanks for the reply sir. yes, you are absolutely correct, that if i increase the dia of the wheel, it would touch the wheel well while turning. but being an automobile engineering student, this was the first thing that struck me. working upon that, i found out that the size/dimensions of the wheel well of the multijet as well as the tjet are the same. and the steering limiter would work perfectly with the upsize wheels also!
Old 27th October 2011, 21:57   #54
BHPian

I drive a MJD for last 10 months.
In the initial 100 kms there was scrappings, now no more.

We must know it is an European spec-ed car, more a family car, importantly NOT a sports/ adventure car.
It is a CITY, family car...

Such a car is supposed to drive in good roads, in a fashion that at rough roads, slow with extra care and at highways Jet-fast.

Don't you feel so?

It is a very comfortable, rock-solid car giving fantastic mileage: dont you agree.

So we must handle such a special quality car with special care. Once we accustomed with the strategy, BETTER DO NOT ALTER IT'S MECHANISM, or the smoothness and feather-like drivability, handling will affect.

That is more discomfort than driving with slight care at humps and bad patches...No?
Old 27th October 2011, 22:02   #55
BHPian

Forgotten to add: a Linea Petrol visited Leh from Bangalore last month and came back without a problem: yeah, few bottom scrapping and even slight denting of the bottom plate which was easily straightened.

I am planning to go to the 'Top of the world' in next June
Sunney is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 23:56   #56
BHPian

thanks for the reply sir. yes you are absolutely correct that we shouldnt play with the mechanisms of the beautiful vehicle that drives like charm. but being an automobile engineer myself, i feel that an upsize is required. an upsize with the correct tyre dimensions wont affect the vehicle in any way!

i actually think that fiat finally had realised its mistake and corrected itself by upsizing the tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks