Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 12:22   #16
BHPian

As most of the folks have suggested, get the Lambda Sensors checked. It could be faulty or may need replacement for the flashing lights to go. But since your engine is halting, may I suggest that you get the ignition coil also checked.

I had a similar issue, but my engine was not halting, it was misfiring with the emission light on. I was suggested to check the following:

1. Lambda Sensors
2. Ignition Coil

Finally, the service chaps cleaned all the sensors and ignition coil contacts and the problem was resolved. The route cause of the problem was diagnosed as bad fuel. Since then I have started using System G additive as well and have had no issue at all.

Touch Wood.
Old 20th October 2009, 13:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I agree with Psycho, the signs are of the Pistons sticking. Overheating may be either a water circulation (90% chance) or oil circulation.

Get it attended immediately (please note I am not saying asap)
It definitely is not an overheating problem but with electronic diagnostic sensory system for sure. Had it been overheating, enough damage would already have happened which is not the case here.
Old 21st November 2009, 16:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Hi,

Do you mean the engine malfunction light? Mine came on recently. I took it to the service centre and got the 02 sensor replaced for 2700 odd bucks. They fitted an Alto 02 sensor. The original Baleno one costs 8000 odd.

My car had a severe case of petrol adulteration around a year back. This might have affected the life of the 02 sensor.

Pradeep
Is it okay to have ALTO O2 sensor for Baleno? I heard ALTO O2 sensor will be in the range of Rs.1-1.5K, but what you have mentioned seems to be on higher end (though not very sure about the prices I mentioned). Any idea on Check engine light - error 14 in Baleno (2006)?
Old 23rd March 2011, 18:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Baleno - Emission Malfunction Light Glowing

Are CMP, O2 & Lamda sensors one and the same thing ? Or are we talking 3 different sensors here ? Out of curiosity, what does the O2 sensor sense ? And what is the impact of this sensor failing ?

The Engine malfunction light stays on in my Baleno, though no issues in driving the car (no stalling etc).

As if this was not enough, the parking-brake lamp also stays on intermittently (indicating brake engaged) though it is not engaged. Usually it shows up on the dial when I apply foot-brakes, then goes off to come up again when brake applied next.

Before starting a new thread for these 2 issues, did a search and found quite some threads for these issues. For the 2nd issue, need to start off by checking brake-fluid level, cap tightly closed etc.
Old 23rd March 2011, 18:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

O2 and Lambda Sensor are the same thing - it senses oxygen presence and thereby sends signal to ECU to alter the Air-Fuel Ratio.

failure of this unit will cause the car to run leaner / richer along with a bad idle.

A nice read:

Lambda Sensor.pdf

Brake light Warning may come on because of two things: Low brake oil (Check for leaks near the wheels / brake lines / in the engine bay) or a weak connection near the hand-brake lever or near the brake oil reservoir

problem no. 2 is serious - must get it checked / avoid driving

Last edited by planet_rocker : 23rd March 2011 at 18:44.
Old 23rd March 2011, 18:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, planet_rocker. Have not seen any issue with idling yet.

Just went down to the basement parking and checked brake-fluid level - it is at 'Low' which seems to be the culprit. Will pick up brake-fluid on the way home and top-up ASAP. This should fix issue-2, though wonder why the drop to "Low" level - don't remember seeing leaks where car is usually parked - need to check engine-bay too.
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

check in the engine bay:

1. Clutch line (if clutch is not cable operated)
2. Brake line from the reservoir in the engine bay
3. ask someone to pump the brake pedal with engine ON and try and see the source of a possible leak in the lines from the Master Cylinder / Slave cylinder (in case of clutch) (check inside the cabin - driver / passenger side) / inner side of the wheels (front and rear)

drive slow and get it thoroughly checked at a service center.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 23rd March 2011 at 19:09.
Old 24th March 2011, 12:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Topping-up brake-fluid fixed the issue with brake-light showing up intermittently on the dial. Plan to look for leaks in the engine-bay and front foot-wells during the weekend.
Old 24th March 2011, 20:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Finally, the service chaps cleaned all the sensors and ignition coil contacts and the problem was resolved. The route cause of the problem was diagnosed as bad fuel. Since then I have started using System G additive as well and have had no issue at all.

Touch Wood.
None of the Balenos sold in India had ignition coil contacts. all are electronic ignition. Service center has cooked up a story for you
----------------------------------------------
Why don't you do bite check and see what's the malfunction light flashing sequence is and interpret it.
One of the sensor has failed or is not having proper connection.
Old 25th March 2011, 20:32   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Topping-up brake-fluid fixed the issue with brake-light showing up intermittently on the dial. Plan to look for leaks in the engine-bay and front foot-wells during the weekend.
In all probability , one of the wheel cylinders is "seeping" ; please have the rear wheels opened to check for the point of leak.

How long has it been since you changed the brake fluid?

Most Viewed