Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 20:23   #1

Baleno - Emission Malfunction Light Glowing

Hi

My baleno which is six years young and done only about 40K Kms has a peculiar problem for the past few days. Inspite of my best efforts, I am not able to analyse and understand the issue. So this querry to tech gurus on this subject.

While running, the malfunction light (the manual says it is emission related light) glows up and the car just stops in the middle of the road. After few minutes if i start again it does start and I am able to drive for about ten to fifteen KMs and again the same issue crops up.

What should I do? what are the checks i need to carry out? is this issue related to the ECB in anyways?

Kindly guide me through. Thanks a million in advance.
Old 8th October 2009, 20:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

By the time you understand the prob, it might be too late. Get it checked by the Suzuki engineers asap.

If the engine is shutting down, better not take it lightly.

Shan2nu
Old 8th October 2009, 20:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Take you car to a service station!
Old 8th October 2009, 21:37   #4
BHPian

Definitely a serious issue. Consult your regular service station at the earliest.
Old 9th October 2009, 09:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

you can decode the signal using this list of codes.
for that short this pins using a small piece of wire and read the flashing sequence.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post841750

Last edited by gigy : 9th October 2009 at 09:08.
Old 9th October 2009, 09:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Just take it to the service center immediately instead of trying to figure this one out. The symptoms you are mentioning are similar to overheating.
Old 9th October 2009, 09:59   #7
BANNED

I agree with Psycho, the signs are of the Pistons sticking. Overheating may be either a water circulation (90% chance) or oil circulation.

Get it attended immediately (please note I am not saying asap)
Old 9th October 2009, 10:06   #8
BHPian

Hi,

Do you mean the engine malfunction light? Mine came on recently. I took it to the service centre and got the 02 sensor replaced for 2700 odd bucks. They fitted an Alto 02 sensor. The original Baleno one costs 8000 odd.

My car had a severe case of petrol adulteration around a year back. This might have affected the life of the 02 sensor.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vensum View Post
Hi

My baleno which is six years young and done only about 40K Kms has a peculiar problem for the past few days. Inspite of my best efforts, I am not able to analyse and understand the issue. So this querry to tech gurus on this subject.

While running, the malfunction light (the manual says it is emission related light) glows up and the car just stops in the middle of the road. After few minutes if i start again it does start and I am able to drive for about ten to fifteen KMs and again the same issue crops up.

What should I do? what are the checks i need to carry out? is this issue related to the ECB in anyways?

Kindly guide me through. Thanks a million in advance.

Last edited by pradkumar : 9th October 2009 at 10:08.
Old 9th October 2009, 12:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I agree with Psycho, the signs are of the Pistons sticking. Overheating may be either a water circulation (90% chance) or oil circulation.

Get it attended immediately (please note I am not saying asap)
+1 to that.
Any malfunction or erratic signsl input to the Engine Management System will give the warning. Could be a faulty sensor/loose wire etc. But vehicle stopping in the middle of the road is something serious and should be attended to immediately.
Old 9th October 2009, 16:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

piston sticking ( thats need some seriour abuse to happen) and overheating (it will show other symptoms before can cause malfunction light ) are not possible, it can be cam sensor and o2 sensor. take it to MASS guys, they will tell you the exact cause. do let us know.

Last edited by gigy : 9th October 2009 at 16:49.
Old 9th October 2009, 17:56   #11
BHPian

Did you see the temperature Guage when the engine stops, is that in a normal range.
Old 9th October 2009, 19:51   #12

The car has already been sent to the service station. It is not a problem of overheating for sure as the temp. gauge is well within limits. i have told them to check it out for other issues mentioned by various friends.

will keep you posted of the developments and thanks a lot for all the help and assistance. it is truly overwhelming and prove that we are a forum of helpful guys. cheers.
Old 9th October 2009, 19:59   #13
BHPian

Hi if your emission light is ON then the On board diagnostics has detected much emissions after your catalytic converter. Make sure your Oxygen (Lambda) sensor is working good, see your ECU needs correct data from both the sensors for proper functioning. You may run rich or lean in a possible of cases. This may not be good for your engine. So get it checked immediately.
Old 20th October 2009, 09:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Whats the update from service center about the problem? have you got the car back
Old 20th October 2009, 12:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

We had a similar and scary situation on our drive from Hampi to Shimoga last month. After driving for about 100 kms with fuel topped up at Hospet, the Embera's engine started making a growling sound while increasing speed, and the pickup also dropped by 20%. The fuel at Hampi was surely the culprit.

After breaking for tea, the emission light glowed on starting up after the break, but the car was running fine. After driving for another 100 kms, we reached Shimoga and stopped for the night.

The following day the light disappeared on starting the car, and even the sounds were gone----all the way till Jog Falls and the next refuel at Kumta enroute Goa.

But since your car is stalling, it is better to get it checked up, as mentioned by others.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks