Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2009, 21:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
What I understood from discussions so far is that City has a 42 liter tank and close to 8 liter is used as a 'reserve', with gauge showing E at this stage. Don't you think it is a wrongly calibrated gauge?

One argument for such a gauge will be that Honda would not like you to use the last remaining fuel and get a refill ASAP. However, if this is the case, I feel gauge should be calibrated accordingly. You can't have people driving in tension because gauge is not indicating correctly. No offence meant, just a thought.
Is the figure of 42 ltrs accurate because at times I have seen manufacturers say that its approximate capacity.
Next is fuel gauge. I have seen that generally all cars have the fuel guage clalibrated in either a weird way or poorly calibrated. In our Baleno the needle will fall very fast for second last mark and then its damn slow. The fuel guage are not linear in the first place.

So whenevery you are going to fill fuel thinking that its in reserve with very less fuel, mostly there is atleast 5 ltrs of fuel.

Nothing to worry about, you car is just normal.
Old 11th October 2009, 08:18   #17
BHPian

It's not my car aaggoswami. I agree with your point that gauges are non-linear. My point was that manufacturer must provide some kind of visual/audio indication for the level when the non - usable/reserve fuel level begins.
Old 11th October 2009, 08:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

There is no "non-usable" fuel. You can use nearly every drop in the tank. Doesn't mean you should. As for the indication, there are 'E' lights in a lot of cars these days along with the fuel gauge.

The reason why manufacturers calibrate their gauges to show empty when there is still fuel in the tank is to keep the fuel pump healthy. Fuel is cheap. Fuel pumps are not. Why risk it?

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 11th October 2009 at 08:54.
Old 11th October 2009, 09:38   #19
BHPian

I perhaps used a wrong word in 'non-usable', what I meant was 'reserve' fuel and the absence of indication for the same on City.
Old 11th October 2009, 09:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@StarVegabond: Dont go through all this pain, your car is just fine. . So is it really worth it?
Hi Jaggu, yes, this issue is just of academic interest. i know that there is still some fuel left in the tank even after indicator reaches E.
i would never end up driving till the end.

anyway thanks for cautioning.
Old 11th October 2009, 10:28   #21
BHPian

Hey StarVega,

Thanks a lot for your thoughts & for the willingness to do some research on this issue. As per the Factory guys, there is about 7 litres when the reserve light goes on & the range meter is reading APPROX 36kms to go..this reading may be different with different vehicles.

My friend who owns a CR-V had the audacity to cover the distance shown in the range meter which was about 27 kms when the reserve light switched on, the vehicle stalled without petrol after about 10kms...and mind you this guy did this without reserve petrol with him.

My thinking is that when they say 42 litres, we should be able to use up the entire 42 litres and this 42 litres should not be inclusive of the residual fuel...this is a drawback with our vehicle...and i feel these HONDA guys should do something about this.

ABOUT THE VIDEO STUFF IN YOUR CAR.

Pls let me have the full details of the video player you have in your car. Would like to understand if it will be of use to me and get it installed if it sounds practical to me.

Please do revert.

Immortalz,

You are right in every sense in protecting the pump...when they mean 42 litres in ANHC, this much should be available to be used up.I mean this qty should be the net qty available apart from the residual fuel.

When it is mentioned that the petrol tank capacity is certain qty....generally , we assume that the full qty is available to be filled and used up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr chill View Post
hi nandans 2005, i didn't bother to see how much the tank capacity is, in the owners manual but the max i was able to fill was 32Lts and today when i refilled and calculated my FE it was 9.8kmpl thats the best i have managed till date (SAT).whats your FE?
I am consistently getting 15 to 15.5 per litre....Your FE indicates that you are ripping the car !! aren't you....enjoy.

I drive in the city in Copy Book Style....slowly, right speed, anticipating stops, no take offs & all these

Even on the highways , i drive about 120kmph and its very rare that i have gone more than this speed.

I did get to 200kmph about 4 times for curiosity sake and that my old racing blood was asking me to check.

keep in touch

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.. Also, please avoid typing...like...this...

Last edited by Eddy : 11th October 2009 at 11:39. Reason: Please avoid posting multiple back to back posts.
Old 11th October 2009, 14:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
It's not my car aaggoswami. I agree with your point that gauges are non-linear. My point was that manufacturer must provide some kind of visual/audio indication for the level when the non - usable/reserve fuel level begins.
In the Opel Corsa, the fuel gauge is calibrated in Litres and is fairly accurate. The reserve fuel is indicated as a red sector. When the gauge pointer reaches the bottom of the red sector the "Fuel Pump" symbol illuminate in red warning of low fuel. You can see that the red sector is about 5 Ltrs. There is still enough fuel in the tank for over 40 Km below the red sector. Also the Fuel Gauge is linear.
Attached Thumbnails
Petrol filling issues with ANHC-opel_corsa0002.jpg  

Old 11th October 2009, 19:27   #23
BHPian

@Sudharma. Exactly the thing I meant. Even in a car as outdated as my Uno, there is a red band and a reserve light.
Old 11th October 2009, 21:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
My thinking is that when they say 42 litres, we should be able to use up the entire 42 litres and this 42 litres should not be inclusive of the residual fuel...this is a drawback with our vehicle...and i feel these HONDA guys should do something about this.
The specs says, 42Ltr fuel capacity, that does not mean we can use the complete capacity e.g. in a small town, typically there would be a water tank which says 15000Ltr capacity, it does not mean all 15000 ltr to be the potable water, ofcourse there would be some reserve water or bottom most area deposited with some sludge.

more over i do not think it to be the drawback of the vehicle, it is like saying stomach capacity of my child is less so there is a problem with the child, until child is energetic, active, smiling, playful, proper height/weight/health etc, child is fine.

for me until i am able to drive about 550+ KM in a single re-fill, i am fine with the capacity of the tank.

there is nothing wrong with your or my car, in fact you can pay less (overall) for every re-fuel.

enjoy the drive

Quote:

Pls let me have the full details of the video player you have in your car. Would like to understand if it will be of use to me and get it installed if it sounds practical to me.

Please do revert.
Most of the details are in my thread, if you do a google search about the brand name then you can see the details as well. still if you need details, first hand, then PM me your contact details, i will call you / mail you the details.
Old 12th October 2009, 04:43   #25
BHPian

Fuel Tank & Milage.

correction
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Have any one noticed that most of the cars have the petrol tank designed to give approximately 600 Km on a full tank wrt the milage claimed of the vehicle by the manufacturer? What is the significanceof this 600 Km?.Any Idea?
Old 12th October 2009, 09:57   #26
BHPian

Hey star,

Your reply well noted.

Your example of a water tank's capacity is very academic, This is some learning! thanks for it.

Your example of a child with respect to the car's fuel tank capacity is very nice & lovable:-))

whats the product name, please do let me know. I wouldnt want to disturb you so soon.

bye!
Old 12th October 2009, 10:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
correction

Have any one noticed that most of the cars have the petrol tank designed to give approximately 600 Km on a full tank wrt the milage claimed of the vehicle by the manufacturer? What is the significanceof this 600 Km?.Any Idea?
Probably considering avg distance of is 50-60KM per hour and a maximum an avg person can drive in a day is 10-12 hours, that is how (i think) this 550-600KM range (and hence the fuel tank capacity) has come into practice.

but i am not sure, it is just a logical guess
Old 12th October 2009, 10:27   #28
BHPian

Sudharma,

With respect to my ANHC, even if i calculate an average of 15 Km per litre, i will GET 525KMS for a tank full, which is about 35 litres.

Which cars are you refering to ?
Old 12th October 2009, 13:38   #29
BHPian

Of course there is nothing wrong with the city as it has been designed to show fuel contents that way. My whole point was about manufacturer being more responsible towards gauges. A car has how many, 3-4 gauges? It doesn't take much of engineering to correctly calibrate a gauge, provide a simple warning system and plonk it in the car. Finally you should be able to take correct decisions from the information provided by that gauge and not play guessing games when it is most critical. I think it for this reason that people always compare tank-to-tank mileage with a display system in any car to find out the error of the display system.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Sudharma,

With respect to my ANHC, even if i calculate an average of 15 Km per litre, i will GET 525KMS for a tank full, which is about 35 litres.

Which cars are you refering to ?
Mileage (Highway) 14.9 km/liter 15 km/liter 12.7 km/liter Mileage (City) 9.7 km/liter 10 km/liter 9.8 km/liter Mileage (Overall) 10.7 km/liter 11.8 km/liter 10.4 km/liter Seating Capacity 5 Person 5 Person 7 Person Fuel Tank Capacity 50 Liters 38 Liters 60 Liters No of Doors 4 Doors 4 Doors 5 Doors Maximum Speed 175 Km/Hour 102 Km/Hour 149 Km/Hour 0-100kmph - - 19.2 seconds 1/4 Mile - - 20.2 seconds Premier Padmini:-
Tank capacity= 38 lts.

Mileage( or shall I say Kilometerage?) claimed:- Highway=15, City=10, Overall=11.8

Maruthi SX4:-
Tank Capacity= 50 lts.
Mileage claimed:- Highway=14.9, City=9.7, Overall=10.7

Maruthi 800:-
Tank Capacity= 28 lts
Mileage claimed:- Highway= 19.9, City=15.7, Overall=14.2

Scorpio:-
Tank Capacity=60 lts
Mileage claimed:- Highway=12.7, City=9.8, Overall=10.4

Renault Logan:-
Tank Capacity=50 lts
Mileage claimed:- Highway=15.7 City=11.3, Overall=12.4

Honda Civic 1.8:-
Tank Capacity=50 lts
Mileage claimed:- Highway=14.4, City=9.6, Overall=10.6

Indica V2 DLE:-
Tank Capacity=37 lts
Mileage claimed:- Highway=17.4, City=13.6, Overall=13.6

Ford Fiesta 1.4:-
Tank Capacity=45 lts
Mileage claimed:- Highway=17.8, City=14.9, Overall=11.5

Maruthi Omni:-
Tank Capacity=36 lts
Mileage claimed:- Highway=19.7, City=13, Overall=13.7

I assume that the fuel below the "E" mark is not accounted.

These are a few only for information andtaken from GAADI.COM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks