Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2009, 17:20   #1
BHPian

Petrol filling issues with ANHC

I have been having my ANHC since june...The issue i have faced is that i have never ever been able fill the tank to the full capacity...The maximum i can fill is only 34 litres and not more than that.

After the tank gets 34 litres, the petrol dispenser shuts off. If tried again, the filling gets rejected .

What could be the issue here ? would guys like Sky walker, Guna and StarVegaBond put your thoughts on this and suggest please ?
Old 10th October 2009, 17:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

How much is the tank capacity and how much of petrol is there when you fill 34 liters, maybe its full. Filling to the brim is anyway not recommended.
Old 10th October 2009, 18:28   #3
BHPian

hi nandans 2005, i didn't bother to see how much the tank capacity is, in the owners manual but the max i was able to fill was 32Lts and today when i refilled and calculated my FE it was 9.8kmpl thats the best i have managed till date (SAT).whats your FE?
Old 10th October 2009, 18:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

The fuel tak capacity of the ANHC is 42 litres.
Old 10th October 2009, 19:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

The car's fuel indicator does not give an accurate measure of the amount of fuel remaining in the car, it just gives a rough estimate.

Meaning, when your car's fuel needle shows empty, there may still be another 8 litres remaining in the tank. Hence, you are able to fill only 34 litres from the point where the car's fuel needle indicates empty. (You can think of it as a reserve fuel capacity)

Another reason may be that the fuel indicator is faulty. You can contact your dealer/service centre to confirm whether this behaviour is as expected.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 10th October 2009, 19:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

The OHC used to have a 45ltr tank capacity so ANHC should be around that mark as well.

Try filling from another pump.

If its still showing 34ltrs then get the fuel tank checked. There could either be some dent in the tank causing the inner volume to redue or there might be some sort of an air lock which traps a few ltrs worth of air causing the tank to fill up with just 34ltrs in it.

Shan2nu
Old 10th October 2009, 19:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
i have never ever been able fill the tank to the full capacity...The maximum i can fill is only 34 litres and not more than that.

What could be the issue here ? would guys like Sky walker, Guna and StarVegaBond put your thoughts on this and suggest please ?
Hi Nandan

Fuel Tank Capacity of ANHC (as per user manual) is 42 Ltrs
But i have never been able to fillin 42 ltrs yet.

When i filled in the evenings, the max i have been able to fill is 36.xx ltrs
When i fill the fuel during mornings max i have been able to fill is 34.xx ltrs
This might be due to the density of the fuel.

Both occations (prior to the re-fueling) the fuel indicator was at E and the range indicator (distance the car can go with remaining fuel) was showing some 30-40KM still (which means still some 2 to 3 ltrs of fuel left.

i plan to do the following atleast once in near future to find out how much fuel is still left.

Carry 2 ltrs of fuel with me in the bottle
and drive the car till it stalls and see how much distance it can still go after the fuel indicator is at 0 and range indicator is also at 0

i will use the bottled fuel to reach the fuel station

Last edited by StarVegabond : 10th October 2009 at 19:30.
Old 10th October 2009, 19:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
I have been having my ANHC since june...The issue i have faced is that i have never ever been able fill the tank to the full capacity...The maximum i can fill is only 34 litres and not more than that.

After the tank gets 34 litres, the petrol dispenser shuts off. If tried again, the filling gets rejected
Hi friends even when the range is zero the tank has about 12 - 14 litres of fuel as reserve.When the fuel indicator was showing empty I ran about 20 kilometers with tension (because I missed a fuel station) and still could fill only about 32 litres.It dosent mean that fuel tank is not full.
Old 10th October 2009, 19:46   #9
BHPian

Hi,
In one of my trips, I had driven till my ANHC's fuel tank was completely empty (done on purpose) and when filled her up,she took a little more than 43 liters.
Old 10th October 2009, 19:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

i plan to do the following atleast once in near future to find out how much fuel is still left.

Carry 2 ltrs of fuel with me in the bottle
and drive the car till it stalls and see how much distance it can still go after the fuel indicator is at 0 and range indicator is also at 0

i will use the bottled fuel to reach the fuel station
If possible, do a bottle test with 500 ML of fuel and then do what you have mentioned. That way, you can calculate the mileage as well as the amount of fuel remaining when the gauge is at zero!
Old 10th October 2009, 20:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
When i filled in the evenings, the max i have been able to fill is 36.xx ltrs
When i fill the fuel during mornings max i have been able to fill is 34.xx ltrs
This might be due to the density of the fuel.
Density of fuel shouldn't affect the fuel tank capacity. The dispenser measures volume dispensed and the tank also measured volume of fuel in the tank. Both systems are measuring in volume and so density will not alter the amount you can fill in.
Old 10th October 2009, 20:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

@StarVegabond: Dont go through all this pain, your car is just fine. There will be residual fuel in tank and that will limit the refill, also if you try to pump in very slowly you will be able to take a lil bit more. Running down to E itself is bad, so dont try to run the car to a stall. If dust or grime by chance gets into the injectors, sometimes you will never have that feel back, unless you replace the injector. So is it really worth it?

@Shan2nu: If my understanding is correct NHC onwards its fiber tanks and they generally dont get dented. Can somebody confirm this?

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th October 2009 at 20:15.
Old 10th October 2009, 20:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

In the Civic, when the E light glows, there is still 9 liters of fuel in the tank. When the fuel gauge shows fully empty, it still has a few liters in it.

The quantities will vary, but you should never run your car down to the reserve regularly. It is bad for the injectors (dirt at the bottom of the tank gets pumped into the engine) and it is bad for the fuel pump (it is cooled and lubricated by the fuel in the tank it is submerged in).
Old 10th October 2009, 21:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Is it such an issues that you want to risk running till dry tank and all? As Jaggu said, residual in tank and your fuel pump and not best of buddies!

But then, if you really (really) want to try it out, please do, and also, please do share the findings.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevtec View Post
Hi friends even when the range is zero the tank has about 12 - 14 litres of fuel as reserve.When the fuel indicator was showing empty I ran about 20 kilometers with tension (because I missed a fuel station) and still could fill only about 32 litres.It dosent mean that fuel tank is not full.
What I understood from discussions so far is that City has a 42 liter tank and close to 8 liter is used as a 'reserve', with gauge showing E at this stage. Don't you think it is a wrongly calibrated gauge?

One argument for such a gauge will be that Honda would not like you to use the last remaining fuel and get a refill ASAP. However, if this is the case, I feel gauge should be calibrated accordingly. You can't have people driving in tension because gauge is not indicating correctly. No offence meant, just a thought.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks