Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2009, 23:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Alto - Issues

My Alto Lxi is 13.5 months old, and has clocked 11900 km. Today I heard a 'thud' from the engine compartment while driving in 3rd gear, and the clutch almost immediately tightened up. (It was a good level road, and no debris on the road to hit the under body of the car). The guy at the workshop says the pressure plate is gone, and I need to replace the Pressure Plate + Clutch.

I am surprised, because only I have driven this car - I also feel that I am a healthy clutch user. No clutch riding, not even bumper to bumper traffic, and no reversing up a slope. I drive only at the manual-recommended speeds in each gear (Guess mileage of 17.25 per liter with a/c is testimony to this). Moreover, my Cielo's clutch (also driven by only me) is still fine after clocking 45,000 km.

Question 1: Do you think I can fight for a warranty?
Question 2: Do I need to service at the dealer itself or any Maruti authorized would do? If I don't get warranty, I wouldn't like to get the dealer service because I am not happy with them.

I read some where that clutch slippage can occur if the clutch play is too much, and that many workshops intentionally increase the play to generate subsequent repair jobs. (For my second free service, the dealer increased my clutch play so much that the car would start moving in first gear only if I almost fully release the clutch. But I never thought it would be this bad). I would confirm this with one of my friends at a workshop.
Old 3rd October 2009, 14:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Alto Lixi Clutch issues

Quote:
My Alto Lxi is 13.5 months old, and has clocked 11900 km. Today I heard a 'thud' from the engine compartment while driving in 3rd gear, and the clutch almost immediately tightened up. (It was a good level road, and no debris on the road to hit the under body of the car). The guy at the workshop says the pressure plate is gone, and I need to replace the Pressure Plate + Clutch.
The clutch plate and pressure plate is healthy, but the diaphragm spring has been bent at two points - clearly a case of manufacturing defect, as per the workshop guy. (He is an authorised Maruti Service, but not my dealer). He says it's very difficult to get warranty for clutch related parts, but I would like to try anyhow. I paid 3000 Rs at the workshop, I would like to forward a complaint to Maruti. Any pointers on how to do this? (The workshop guy has promised to help me if he is asked by Maruti).
I would post pics of the clutch plate + pressure plate + diaphragm spring tomorrow.
Old 4th October 2009, 01:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
jinojohnt -
My Alto Lxi is 13.5 months old, and has clocked 11900 km. .....
...... The clutch plate and pressure plate is healthy, but the diaphragm spring has been bent at two points - clearly a case of manufacturing defect, as per the workshop guy.
Posting a picture of my alto's Diaphram Spring, which is bent at the top two fingers. The picture of the healthy clutch plate is also attached, which shows that the failure is not due to driving style, but because of manufacturing defect... Somebody advise me on forwarding the complaint to Maruti,
Moderator, if my posts in this thread are diverting the original topic, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Alto - Issues-diaphragmspring.jpg  

Maruti Alto - Issues-clutchplate.jpg  

Old 5th October 2009, 01:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Jinojohnt @ U will get the pressure plate under warranty, mine was changed at 12 thousand km including the clutch plate FOC under warranty, pressure plate as i was told does come under warranty in a new car atleast. Seems like a clear cut case of manufacturing defect.

Ask them to change it under warranty and also check clutch plate, flywheel for uneven wear. I would advice to change the entire set
Old 5th October 2009, 22:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi humyum, I have already paid for the replacement and I am looking for a warranty re-imbursement. I don't know whether I'll get the money I've spent, but I've wrote to Customer Care in the Maruti Alto website to start with. (I took my car to a Maruti Authorized, because I didn't trust my dealer. Just an example of my dealer's heroics - Once they suggested that I need to paint half of the bumper, which is NOT body colored, with black paint. Reason? I asked them to polish the bumper to remove scratches in the corner.)
Old 7th October 2009, 18:03   #6
BANNED

Your clutch looks good ., atleast on the picture . LOL .

pressure plate also looks good . hmmmm .
Old 12th October 2009, 12:11   #7
Team-BHP Support

It actually depends. If your clutch has "burnt" then you will not get warranty whether the car has done 1000kms or 100000kms.
However, if there are other problems(like hydraulic system fault, or release bearing etc.,) then you will get warranty.
Better show her at service center
Old 15th October 2009, 01:27   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Your clutch looks good ., atleast on the picture . LOL .

pressure plate also looks good . hmmmm .

This was in response to another thread for a ford endeavour clutch . It was moved here by the mods .
Old 15th October 2009, 10:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I read some where that clutch slippage can occur if the clutch play is too much, and that many workshops intentionally increase the play to generate subsequent repair jobs. (For my second free service, the dealer increased my clutch play so much that the car would start moving in first gear only if I almost fully release the clutch. But I never thought it would be this bad). I would confirm this with one of my friends at a workshop.

Is this true? I also feel the clutch of my Alto engages at almost full release, but the MASS guys say the adjustment ids correct. What should be the correct adjustment? The car has completed first service and has 2350 KM on the ODO.
Old 15th October 2009, 21:29   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is this true? I also feel the clutch of my Alto engages at almost full release, but the MASS guys say the adjustment ids correct. What should be the correct adjustment? The car has completed first service and has 2350 KM on the ODO.
The adjustment is not correct. The car should start moving at half clutch on a normal plane surface.
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:02   #11
BHPian

Hi all

I am glad to join the Team and thankful to the Administrators to let me on board.

I have been facing issues with the clutch of my Alto, and even after having driven cars before, as a learner, I never faced difficulties driving. Where as right from the time I got my Alto, the only difficulty I faced is a not satisfactory clutch and difficult gear shifts.

Searching on the internet about this I realized i am not alone. However, when no solution came in, I read about the working of the clutch and experimented with its settings and got it right. Well, at least better than before.

I also must say that most mechanics do not know how to adjust the clutch properly.
I am not sure, if the vehicles do have such miss adjusted settings from the factory or is it the mechanics who do the Pre-delivery checks fine tune things to their taste and get things out of actual settings.

However, I have the solution for people having difficulties with their clutches here.

Clutch wobbles in Maruti ALTO-LX - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site

People who try it out, please let us all know of your feedback for others to benefit.

Regards.
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post

Clutch slipping occurs when there is no free play. In this case, the throw out bearing makes contact with the diaphragm spring continuously and if the pressure on the diaphragm is sufficient to give it a push, the pressure plate lifts up a little and the clutch slips.
On the other hand if the free play is too much, the clutch drags. Meaning, the clutch is not getting completely disengaged and on putting the gear and still with the clutch pedal fully down, the vehicle may drag on (move).

Ideally, clutch should start engaging at half pedal position. If the pedal is properly set and the free play properly adjusted to this effect, you can make out when the clutch needs adjustment.

With a properly adjusted clutch, if the clutch pedal starts engaging at a higher up position than the half clutch, then the free play has reduced and the play needs to be increased else it may start slipping. If the clutch pedal starts engaging lower and near to the floor below half clutch, then the free play had increased (normally happens due to clutch cable stretching) and it needs to be reduces else the clutch may start dragging and gear shifting would become difficult and also the gear may grind and not mesh.
rkguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2009, 15:52   #13
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Is it that all people with Alto have suddenly got their clutches working right?
Jinojohnt, Gansan i was expecting a feedback, or at least some comment. I was
wanting to help all people with clutch issues and all of a sudden it seems there are
no issues.
Old 8th December 2009, 16:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

The link provided by you advocates raising the pedal even more. I am finding that even with the current (default) setting in the car, I am having occassional jerky gear shifts. It is obvious that the pedal should not be lowered without the modifications suggested (to Suzuki) in the article being carried out first.

I have visited two different MASS and both say the present setting (play) is the correct one. I have checked a couple of Altos of my friends and they too are the same. So I am erring on the side of caution and leaving it alone. I am used to it now!
Old 8th December 2009, 16:55   #15
BHPian

No, I am not suggesting to raise the pedal for all. Only if it is at the same level as break pedal.
I too first asked MASS guys to fix it and they all say it is ok. These guys work on so many vehicles with different clutch settings that they are used to it and will not agree that it needs adjustment.

If the clutch pedal is at break pedal height, then the clutch is not getting sufficient travel to fully release it. So, it needs to be raised. The release arm should have moved at least 0.7inches for the travel of the pedal. 1 inch is better.
If the clutch is already 1 to 1.5 inches above the break pedal, then only play needs to be adjusted.

In your case, your clutch already engages high up. Therefore, only play needs to be adjusted to lower the engagement to half clutch position. You can do this by loosening the release arm adjustment nut in steps of two half turns. If your clutch pedal is higher than 1.5 inches from break pedal, then lowering it to have the difference will ease the force on your leg.

The pedal play alone is not the correct criteria. The clutch pedal and release arm can be set to the recommended play for any height of the pedal. Even as low as 3" from floor. But what is important is that is the clutch pedal getting sufficient movement to release the clutch disk. The free play is only to give a clearance to the release bearing from continuously making contact to the diaphragm spring.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks