Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2009, 17:26   #1
BHPian

Low mileage with Spark

Guys;

I went to some cool drive of 1000 odd kms on my spark last week and I was surprised to see overall mileage of 11. (AC 70 %) I believe its too low. My spark has just crossed 5K mark and now I am started getting worried.

Guru's in this forum kindly suggest what needs to be done.
Do I need to correct my driving style as I often tend to cross 100 or my spark needs some pampering from ***.
Old 24th October 2009, 17:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

How did you check the mileage?

The best way to check mileage is fill petrol till cutoff. Drive for some KM and then again fill till cutoff. This gives accurate results.
Old 24th October 2009, 17:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Dear djay;

I checked mileage using simple maths. Total distance/ total petrol consumed.
Old 24th October 2009, 17:37   #4
Team-BHP Support

You may want to check this out !

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...fficiency.html (ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency)
Old 24th October 2009, 17:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post

The best way to check mileage is fill petrol till cutoff. Drive for some KM and then again fill till cutoff. This gives accurate results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Dear djay;

I checked mileage using simple maths. Total distance/ total petrol consumed.
If I am not wrong, what Djay is asking is what method you are using.
The method used in small capacity Indian bikes is reserve to reserve.

The best method for cars is tank full to tank full. In most fuel stations, the fuel will cut off when the fuel tank is full. Fill till this level, note down the kms the car has run and then when the tank is around half mark, again fill the tank to full. Then use this distance/fuel consumed method. This will give you the result with good accuracy.

The fuel gauges of Indian cars are not very accurate. The last 1/4th part, the gauge comes slowly down in some cars. So calculating using gauge will not give accurate results.

Note that the fuel must not be filled upto the brim. I have seen people filling in fuel till its upto the brim and they can see it.

Sometimes even the fuel station gives less quantity. Stick to Company Owned Company Operated ( COCO ) fuel stations.
Old 24th October 2009, 18:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Also make sure that fill at same gas station before and after.

I have not checked the mileage of my Sparky, am planning to do it next time and update this thread

Last edited by Latheesh : 24th October 2009 at 18:21.
Old 31st October 2009, 01:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

In Bangalore city driving condition I am getting around 13 KMPL (50% AC). I checked it after first service, now the ODO reads 1450 KM
Old 17th November 2009, 09:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
In Bangalore city driving condition I am getting around 13 KMPL (50% AC). I checked it after first service, now the ODO reads 1450 KM
I wish i has that kind of mileage. My spark just gives me 9km to the litre(full time A/C!!! Im waiting for it to go in for the first service. If no improvement my sparky is gonna get into trouble
Old 17th November 2009, 09:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Do the mileage test after the first service. Follow the instruction by aaggoswami ie. fill till auto cut-off note the ODO reading and refill till auto cut-off when the tank is half empty. check the distance covered in km/second filling qty in lit
Old 17th November 2009, 10:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Also, I suggest a check after after two to three fills to autocut off, over a longer distance, to reduce the measurement error for how much fuel is used, that can arise in just one top up. And, the FE of the car keeps improving till 4-5000 kms are done. After that, if the return is below 10, a visit to the dealer is on the cards for investigation.
Old 17th November 2009, 14:36   #11
BHPian

Hi sparkguy & Latheesh,
Any updates on actual FE in city ? Actually one of my colleague in office is planning to buy Spark. If all that is written above is true i would really advice y friend to re-think.
Old 17th November 2009, 14:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

11 is not a good figure for Spark but it all depends on the driving style and traffic conditions. Pls go through the thread about extracting maximum FE from your car and try to alter your driving style accordingly, if it still remains the same the car needs to be checked.
Old 17th November 2009, 18:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridsahmed View Post
Hi sparkguy & Latheesh,
Any updates on actual FE in city ? Actually one of my colleague in office is planning to buy Spark. If all that is written above is true i would really advice y friend to re-think.
I assure you that the spark is a solid car and has set a bar in its class with all the good interiors. As for the mileage it will improve after the first service, atleast according GM!
Old 17th November 2009, 19:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridsahmed View Post
Hi sparkguy & Latheesh,
I am getting around 13 with 50% AC in city driving condition. Car has completed 2K km, his is a decent mileage figure.

Last edited by Latheesh : 17th November 2009 at 19:15.
Old 18th November 2009, 09:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I am getting around 13 with 50% AC in city driving condition. Car has completed 2K km, his is a decent mileage figure.
Thanks for the info Latheesh.
13 with 50% Ac is a pretty decent figure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks