Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 08:11   #16
BHPian

Thanks a lot Genisis. Really appreciate the help i am getting from all T-BHp members
I will call them by 11 am
Infact the mechanic at the garage where i have given my car also told to go to Kurla but i always thought Opera House was a bigger market. Now since you have given me the contact I can call and then go if they have the required parts
Old 29th October 2009, 08:15   #17
BHPian

Forgot to add that I stay at Juhu. So if you can try getting the number for Siddhivinayak Motors, I can call them and then visit them if needed
Old 29th October 2009, 17:15   #18
BHPian

I finally could get the gear lever cable from the godown of Kava Automobiles. I doubt its a new part but its safer then a duplicate part.
The garage will work on the car tomorrow. Lets hope all the issues are solves
Big thanks to all Tbhpians for helping me out
Old 29th October 2009, 17:41   #19
DRC
BHPian

Looks like most problems faced by Petra owners are similar.
Fuel tank hit by bad road, failed throttle body stepper motor, Clutch master cylinder failure, failed gear shift bracket, ...
Only problem I have faced and not read in this forum is broken accelerator cable! Has any one faced and not reported here?
Old 29th October 2009, 20:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

It is indeed sad that you had to undergo all these pains to get that part. But you finally managed to get it, which is good.

Do not worry about not informing me before talking to Mr. Vijay Kumar. Anyway, I indirectly helped you in some way
Old 29th October 2009, 22:14   #21
BHPian

Yes Deepak, you helped a lot and also Genisis for providing other contacts to me which can come handy any time later
If you visit Mr. Vijay Kumar of Hariprasad anytime please pass my thanks. I will call him also
Now lets hope the issue gets solved and need for some other part does not crop up
Old 30th October 2009, 19:54   #22
BHPian

Issue Solved

Thanks Genisis, Deepak and everyone else

Cost
Gear lever cable - Rs 2200
Labour - Rs 550/-

Mental Stress finding the spare and work suffered due to running around all of Mumbai - Priceless

The guys at Excel Service Centre are also quiet good at diagnosis specially since its Hyundai Service Centre. The labour charges were on a higher side but i am OK with that
Old 31st October 2009, 07:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
Issue Solved

Mental Stress finding the spare and work suffered due to running around all of Mumbai - Priceless
Excellent! Glad you were able to move forward and your car can now move backwards . Half the fun of owning a fiat are these 'part'icular adventures.
Old 31st October 2009, 07:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great! Enjoy your car.

I have written my entire experience during this ordeal to the CEO desk about a day back, but so far, there has been no reply.
Old 31st October 2009, 08:12   #25
BANNED

Guys, I used to need a heavy effort to shift into reverse, when i showed it to my mechanic ( who has years of experience on palios ), he blindlly told me this part is cracked & needs to be changed.
Changing the part requires some screws to be un-done from underneath ( silencer or gearbox shelid i think ), and when the part was removed as my mechanic had predicted it was cracked.
according to him its a common problem in palios as the car ages and happens sooner if you shift gears hard.
will post some pictures soon.
Old 31st October 2009, 18:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
Issue Solved

Cost
Gear lever cable - Rs 2200
Labour - Rs 550/-

The guys at Excel Service Centre are also quiet good at diagnosis specially since its Hyundai Service Centre. The labour charges were on a higher side but i am OK with that
Glad to hear your problem solved finally. My cousin too faced the same problem like you when he gave his Palio to Car Spa cleaners.

Wasan Motors at Deonar are the ones better to search for spares than other authorised service center. Mr. Bhatti from Wasan Deonar is the right person to get the details.

2 Problems out here at TATA-FIAT A.S.S Spares division:

1. These TATA centers are not willing to invest money to stock FIAT parts. Their analysis of stocking parts are different
2. Once parts are ordered, there is long period to deliver or the part is unavailable.

Sad state thou improving at a snails pace.
Old 31st October 2009, 19:53   #27
BHPian

Hi Deepak
I will tell my brother to drive me around tonight if possible so I enjoy the car. Probably, I will be the only member on this forum who does not drive a car but am somewhat passionate about them.
Gear shifting has become much smoother then before, that is my brother’s first impression after driving for a few kms
I don’t think writing to the CEO will matter. Why I say is that because I am sure everyone in the company including the CEO will be aware of the sorry state and they are still not doing anything.
@ Rudrah
I called up Wasan, Fortune, Tata Motors(Concorde). Everyone answered in the negative. Infact the store keeper at Wasan Kandivali gave me few contacts at Charni road and told me to try there. No one even told me once that they will check and see how they can help me out. It was a flat NO
Old 31st October 2009, 22:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
How is this related to problems only with 5th and reverse gear? If it really is a problem of a cable, all the gear shifts would have faced problems.
Not really. You can open the bonnet and ask someone to shift the gears into all positions, while you watch what's happening under the bonnet, you will get an idea.
Old 31st October 2009, 22:16   #29
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Not really. You can open the bonnet and ask someone to shift the gears into all positions, while you watch what's happening under the bonnet, you will get an idea.
Normally the problems in 5th and reverse gear are related to the gear bracket. I had the same problem. Many in this forum and PUG had similar issues so I did not understand this cable thing affecting only 5th and reverse gear. Hence my question.

rikhav - good to hear about the problem resolution.
Old 1st November 2009, 00:19   #30
BHPian

Hi JVH
The guy working on my car did the same thing as Clevermax has said. He asked one of his guys to keep trying to engage in reverse and he was having a look into the bonnet.
After making some adjustments for some 10 mins he said that the gear lever cable is broken and needs to be replaced

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks