Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 23:24   #1
BHPian

FIAT Petra 2004 - 5th and reverse gear do not engage

Hi guys
I have been a member here for quiet a long time but haven't really posted enough except few on some threads.
But i always log on to the site at least once everyday to check out teh fabulous car reviews. I really appreciate the Tbhp staff for such supber in-depth reviews

I hope its ok for asking for help as i am not an active member

I have a Fiat Petra 1.6 which is almost 5 years old and has not clocked many miles. It has does approximately 24000 kms in these 5 years.
Today suddenly the car does not engage in 5th and reverse gear. Just yesterday my brother drove for about 50 kms and there was no gear whining or issues with engaging reverse.
He had gone to a hotel and given the car for valet parking. My doubt is could the driver who was parking the car could have damaged the gearbox trying to forecully engaging reverse gear? I doubt this becuase the problem has come all of a sudden and many people are not aware that to engage reverse in a Palio/Petra we need to press the gear knob
Or could i be having the same problem as other member "Genisis"
He has also posted about of gears getting jammed in his Palio
I would appreciate any kind of lead or advice about what the precise problem can be
I dont trust the service centre guys as all are known to rip off the customer whenever they get a chance
Thanks a lot everyone
Old 26th October 2009, 23:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks to be a sure case of the valet guy messing up with the gear knob. He didn't know about the reverse gear lock.

So it might be the gear shifting mechanism (I don;t know the terms but I meant those connecting rods to the box) which is having the problem and not the gearbox itself.

PS: I'd never ever give my car to a valet parking guy. I never used to.

Last edited by clevermax : 26th October 2009 at 23:31.
Old 26th October 2009, 23:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

The valet guy has messed up with your gear selector bracket, in all probabilities. As a coincidence, a valet guy messed up with mine too (Palio 1.2). I will have to get it done tomorrow.
Old 26th October 2009, 23:57   #4
BHPian

Thanks Clevermax and Deepak
On inquiring the valet says the car was not engaging in reverse when my brother gave the keys to him and he had to push the car. What else would he say to cover himself up
No words for these loosers
Deepak, are you going to a authorized service centre? Can you please share with me the estimate you get from the service centre
Old 27th October 2009, 09:37   #5
BHPian

A guy named Anil has written about the same problem on the Fiat Forum.
This is what he writes

"I had the same problem, plastic molding (Palio Gear Case) had cracked, I was told it was due to my bad habbit of driving with my hand resting on the gear leaver.
Palio Gear Case cost 550 Rs. from authorised service center and Rs. 280 from local market"

Lets hope me and Deepak get the part easily and the labour charges are not too much.

Just wanted to confirm if the same gear case is used for 1.2 and 1.6 engined cars
Old 27th October 2009, 15:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

The part is the same for 1.2 and 1.6.

Now comes the fun part. The whole of yesterday, I was talking to all the authorized service centers in Bangalore about the problem. As expected, none of them had the part. One person from Prerana Motors even suggested that I go to JC Road (where spare parts of all and sundry are available at Bangalore) and get the part. They told me that they can come home an fix it for me if I buy the part in JC Road.

In fact, I even went and bought one. But on close inspection, the quality of the part seemed very suspect.

Concorde Motors told me that I could be having clutch issues. I asked them how on the earth am I able to engage gears 1 to 4 if I have clutch issues. They had no answers there. They were asking me to tow the car to their premises.

Finally, I remembered that there used to be an authorized service center called HariPrasad Motors. They are no more listed as Fiat authorized. But I know that they are really good with Fiat cars, and I have high regards for them.

After they got de-listed, I switched on to authorized centers for all my car services. This time around, I called them. They asked me to drive down to their premises. They immediately said that the gear box selector had gone bad. They inspected the part I had, and showed me the original Fiat part they had with them (yes, the authorized service centers do not have the part, but HariPrasad has it). I bade good bye to the JC road part (Rs. 425) and I asked them to fit the original. The work is going on. I am assured of delivery by the end of today.

More details soon.
Old 27th October 2009, 15:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

@deepakhon, how much is the original FIAT part costs , as against JC road one ? .

When these guys have the parts ,why not the authorized service centers ?
Old 27th October 2009, 15:29   #8
JVH
Senior - BHPian

I had similar problem.

That plastic part is actually a small bracket which is just under the gear stick. It costs Rs. 545. I got it done from Hariprasad as well. They'll charge 150 odd for labour charges since it has to be removed from the bottom. The whole gear assembly is removed from the bottom and worked upon separately including filing and finishing the part minutely.

Never ever give your car to Valet guys. In my instance, I gave the car to my FIL. Inspite of showing him the demo of reverse lift, he messed it up
Old 27th October 2009, 15:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

I just called them up and they said that the car is ready. I will be leaving office by around 5:30 pm to pick the car up.

I had other small things to be done too. They have given an estimate of about 1200. More details on that after I collect the car.
Old 27th October 2009, 19:07   #10
BHPian

I am surprised to know how many cars are messed up these valet guys
The problem with my car was pinned down to a fault gear lever cable. Lets hope it is, and i get out of this mess
Deepak, you are lucky to get the original part even though it was from someone you would have least expected to have

I could get the knob or hook sort of thing of the gear lever cable but only of the first part of the cable. The cable is 2 piece. On the piece which goes into the engine bay, the knob is screw type where as the other piece has the knob with the cable. The guy did not have same size cable so i just replaced the know of the first piece. He has promised to get the 2nd piece by tomorrow. I paid Rs. 750 for that small thing and i am dead sure its not original. But as the saying goes "Beggars cant be choosers"
Old 27th October 2009, 23:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

The gear bracket was the one that had broken in my car. It is a thick white plastic; so thick that it is virtually impossible to break it without applying heavy force. The valet guy must really be something!

I paid around 500+ for this part. I can tell you the exact number tomorrow.

Yes. HariPrasad Auto has stock of original Fiat parts. He also told me the method he uses to source Fiat parts. I do not want to mention it in a public forum though.

He did mention about the problems Fiat Palio D (1.9 NA engine) owners are facing. They are the worst affected, after Uno owners, according to him.

The reality is that getting Fiat original parts in the market is a nightmare. Tata dealers, at least in Bangalore, do not stock many parts. The situation is really bad. I do not think Fiat is doing anything either.

It goes to my car's credit that it does not break down unless someone commits a blunder like this. Otherwise, with parts availability like this, and with the attitude of Tata/Fiat dealers being thus, it is not a pretty situation to be in.

From what I observed, HariPrasad looks like a Fiat enthusiast supporting Fiat customers, whereas Tata/Fiat dealers are supporting Fiat just because they have an obligation to do so.
Old 28th October 2009, 14:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

@rikhav,

Any luck with the part availability? Has your issue been resolved?
Old 28th October 2009, 15:00   #13
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
The problem with my car was pinned down to a fault gear lever cable.
How is this related to problems only with 5th and reverse gear? If it really is a problem of a cable, all the gear shifts would have faced problems.
Old 28th October 2009, 20:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
@rikhav,

Any luck with the part availability? Has your issue been resolved?
Hi Deepak
First of all i am sorry for what i did today, but i had no internet at office to take your permission. I called up Hariprasad and told that i got their number through Mr. Deepak who had brought his Palio for repairs at your workshop few days back. I exactly did not use your reference but just said i got their number through you
I am really sorry for not talking to you before this but i was not getting the cable from sources who had promised they will get by today.
Mr Vijay Kumar of Hariprasad gave me contact of Kawa Motors and i called them and they said they have the cable. I again rushed leaving all my work to their shop at Opera house but sadly the cable did not match with what they had. He has given me the address of their godown and told me to check there. I am really losing hope now.

I am not that expert in automobiles so i dont exactly know how is the cable faulty when other gears can be engaged. The technician told me the knob sort of thing on the cable has damaged so the reverse gear gets engaged but after much trouble. I even told them to check the bracket and they even showed it to me and it seems to be fine

If even after replacing the cable (if i get it) the problem persists i dont know how will i react. I have never traveled so much in my life in local trains comparing how much i have in last 2 days

Lets hope for the best
Old 29th October 2009, 05:27   #15
BHPian

Try calling the following store:

Amber auto - 9323938963 / 25038963, CST Road Kurla. Pretty well known in Fiat world
He keeps most fiat parts including old ones.

Another name I have, but never used is Bhartiya Auto also in CST - 26508530 / 9867070419/ 9987118401. Apparently they keep second hand parts.

Where in Mumbai do you live? There is a guy in Chembur (close to Wasan Motors) who has fiat parts. Siddhivinayak Motors. Will try and dig out a number. He keeps parts for Wasan mechanics who run side businesses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks