Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 12:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

I have never heard (or noticed) this sound from my Punto's steering. I guess it is not a thing to worry about, even if it is there.
Old 30th November 2009, 19:17   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I was just wondering what issue one could have with the Punto's steering!! In my books, it is the absolute best steering this side of 10 lakh rupees. Perfect calibration.

@ Thread OP : Relax, the Punto's steering is just fine.
Old 1st December 2009, 10:27   #18
BHPian

apart from what I said, the beep warning. I never still dont have any sound from my steering. one thing i love in the car most is the FEEL of steering..
Old 25th December 2009, 17:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Punto Power Steering Noise, help! (Watch the video)

There is a grinding noise when the steering is turned. Please watch the video. (Please use your headphones to hear the noise clearly from cabin)

The noise sounds like a metal rod is touching the teeth of a rotating straight cut gear shaft when it is rotating at high speed. This is coming from somewhere near the turbo, where you can see the belts and the power steering fluid container.

It is well noticeable from the passenger cabin, but very evident outside. The sound is there when the steering is not operated, and it increases and becomes loud when the steering is rotated in either directions. Towards both extreme ends, the noise is still more louder. From the video you can notice the increase in the noise when the steering begins to rotate, in the exterior scene.

What could be the problem? The power steering is working fine apart from this noise.

Last edited by clevermax : 25th December 2009 at 17:39.
Old 25th December 2009, 19:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

What kind power steering does the Punto have? Is it hydraulic? Hydraulic PS systems have pressure relief valves that operate when the steering at the extremes to make sure the rack/hydraulic systems do not explode due to the massive pressures generated.

Something might be wrong with these systems.
Old 25th December 2009, 20:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

@Immortalz: Thanks for the reply man, Yes it is hydraulic. But I am sure that this is not the pressure release thing and the associated hissing noise. This is a grinding noise and it is there not only when the steering is turned to the extremes, but during the entire rotation of the steering. Any thoughts?

Last edited by clevermax : 25th December 2009 at 21:02.
Old 25th December 2009, 21:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

I had a close look at the engine bay to find out where this sound comes from.

Punto -Turning Steering Issue-engine_bay.jpg

The sound seems to come from the equipment (Seems to be the pump?) marked in the picture, which has a tube running to it from the Power steering fluid container. It also has a belt connected besides it from crank shaft.

No, it is not the belt slipping noise either.

The noise increases even with the slightest turn on the steering and even with a small force applied to it to rotate it.

Last edited by clevermax : 25th December 2009 at 21:32.
Old 25th December 2009, 21:57   #23
BANNED

It is only coming at the extremes .It look fine to me .But just to be sure check in some other punto.
Old 25th December 2009, 22:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Power steering fluid up to the required level? If the pump is/going bad, you might have to convince TASS to replace it before it blows. If you get a chance, listen to another Punto and see if it makes the same noises.
Old 25th December 2009, 22:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
It is only coming at the extremes .It look fine to me .But just to be sure check in some other punto.
No, the noise is heard when the steering is in motion no matter it is at the extreme or not. It is not the ambient noise in the video, all you hear is the noise from the pump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Power steering fluid up to the required level? If the pump is/going bad, you might have to convince TASS to replace it before it blows. If you get a chance, listen to another Punto and see if it makes the same noises.
Fluid level seems to be fine, even the warning light is not lit. Listening to another Punto's sound is not at all required as I am sure this is an unusual noise. Its a bit loud when you open the bonnet.

Last edited by clevermax : 25th December 2009 at 22:43.
Old 25th December 2009, 22:57   #26
BHPian

Power steering is the issue.

Change the power steering pump and all will be well as far as the grinding noise is concerned. Period. Quality control at the pump factory was amiss.
Old 25th December 2009, 23:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Dr. Sunil, yes I think the pump needs to be replaced. BTW, is it safe to drive the car with this pump for about 100 Kms?
Old 28th December 2009, 22:23   #28
BHPian

Its not safe.

Its safe for you but not for the rack and pinion assembly of the steering assembly. Metal shreds from the pump will wreck havoc on the rack and pinion assembly. I do not know how far is safe for assembly.
Old 24th April 2010, 11:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchan View Post
But last 2 days when take a extreme turn, I get a beep sound, hand brake symbol on, and I get a message on dashboard, “ brake fluid level insufficient do not proceed”.
How much higher is it over the MIN mark? If its reaching MIN levels then the Brake Fluid is getting cornered on the side of the canister when the car takes a sharp turn and its at this point the sensor does not read presence of fluid for those few seconds the car is negotiating the turn and reports the same.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 24th April 2010 at 11:50. Reason: spelling error
Old 4th September 2012, 21:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Punto -Turning Steering Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thanks Dr. Sunil, yes I think the pump needs to be replaced. BTW, is it safe to drive the car with this pump for about 100 Kms?
Was this issue resolved ? Was it a problem with the pump?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks