Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 14:20   #1
BHPian

Punto -Turning Steering Issue

Hi All,
I have been an avid reader on the forums and the hours of research on the forum has helped me on finalizing on my Punto 1.4 EP
So thanks to all the tbhpians.

I had a niggling query on the car, which i have not been able to get cleared so far from the dealer. Wanted to check with other punto owners on the same.

"The steering when turned extreme left or extreme right (i.e. when it cant be turned further), there is a slight hiss. this goes away if i give the steering a bit of slack. Is this a problem with the steering or its the way punto letting you know you are turning too much?

I have a swift lxi which doesnt give any such feedback when turned either ways.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 29th October 2009, 15:05   #2
BHPian

I didnt notice any such thing during my test drive I turned the steering complete twice... No hiss nothing...even if it is it must be a very very low hiss. Which normally you are notable to hear...
Old 29th October 2009, 15:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

The hiss is the power steering releasing pressure through a bypass valve which would otherwise blow up the rack. Don't worry about it. However, it is not advisable to keep pressure on the steering at the limit for more than 5 seconds at a time because it is the point where there is maximum forces acting in the system.

The Swift doesn't have this noise because it has EPS.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 29th October 2009 at 15:10.
Old 29th October 2009, 15:09   #4
BHPian

Paritosh, that noise should be the steering pump noise. Its there in my Palio Stile 1.6 too! I don't think you need to worry about that. Its normal.

Also it is advisable not to keep the steering to extreme left/right for long time.
Old 29th October 2009, 15:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

The hiss is perfectly OK. Do not worry about that. Just make sure you do not hold the steering in the same position for more than, say about 15 sec.
Old 29th October 2009, 15:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The hiss is the power steering releasing pressure through a bypass valve which would otherwise blow up the rack. Don't worry about it. However, it is not advisable to keep pressure on the steering at the limit for more than 5 seconds at a time because it is the point where there is maximum forces acting in the system.

I get a whine in my lancer, are there any issues with the pump, the A S S said it could be they are not sure

Pramod
Old 29th October 2009, 15:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Is the whine present all the time? In that case, it is something that needs to be investigated. If the noise is present only when the steering is at the extremities, it is normal. But if it's getting louder, then once again, the system needs to be inspected.
Old 29th October 2009, 16:06   #8
BHPian

Thats a relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post

Thanks ImmortalZ for the reassuaring reply.
never drove a Hydraulic Power Steering vehicle hence felt like a bit weird.

5 Seconds: A gut feel clock forces to get rid of the steering as soon as i hear it. Have to do that only when trying to squeeze in a parking spot..

Cheers
Paritosh
Old 29th October 2009, 16:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paritosh2k View Post
Thanks ImmortalZ for the reassuaring reply.
never drove a Hydraulic Power Steering vehicle hence felt like a bit weird.

5 Seconds: A gut feel clock forces to get rid of the steering as soon as i hear it. Have to do that only when trying to squeeze in a parking spot..

Cheers
Paritosh
I have punto active mjd and the behavior is the same as in yours, there a sound like liquid transfer.
Old 29th October 2009, 17:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yes it is because of HPS. My Palio also shows this behavior when steering is locked to extreme. This is normal. As Immortalz said, do not keep it locked at the extreme position.

Mods: As this is not an issue, please mark this thread as "Not issue" as this may create an impression that the car is having steering wheel issue. Not everybody reads the whole thread.
Old 29th October 2009, 22:46   #11
BANNED

This is not a issue at all . It is totally normal for Hydraulic Power Steering Systems such as in Santro , Punto etc.
Old 29th October 2009, 22:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
This is not a issue at all . It is totally normal for Hydraulic Power Steering Systems such as in Santro , Punto etc.
Spot on. I find it in my Lancer as well.
Old 29th October 2009, 22:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Yes it is because of HPS. My Palio also shows this behavior when steering is locked to extreme. This is normal. As Immortalz said, do not keep it locked at the extreme position.

Mods: As this is not an issue, please mark this thread as "Not issue" as this may create an impression that the car is having steering wheel issue. Not everybody reads the whole thread.
Mods:
Agree with the comments. Its is Not an Issue but "std behaviour". Can you pl. change the title and close the thread. Thanks
Old 30th November 2009, 11:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paritosh2k View Post

"The steering when turned extreme left or extreme right (i.e. when it cant be turned further), there is a slight hiss. this goes away if i give the steering a bit of slack. Is this a problem with the steering or its the way punto letting you know you are turning too much?

Thanks
Here is my take.

So far I have crossed 9K kms I never had an issues with steering until, last week. during extreme turn (even in 40kmph) I get a beep sound warning with hand brake symbol on. The moment the steering is straight again the hand brake symbol turns off. I was in Chennai, I easily face this all the time when I take a curvy turn in Gundy flyover Chennai. (Tambram to Anna Salai, people in Chennai can get a better idea on what road I am talking)

I spoke to my service advice on phone he said is just a precaution warning you come to Bangalore we will do a routine check. But last 2 days when take a extreme turn, I get a beep sound, hand brake symbol on, and I get a message on dashboard, “ brake fluid level insufficient do not proceed”. on my return I tried to check the brake fluid in SHELL and found it is in normal level (above min).

Planning take for check up, top-up etc this week.
Old 30th November 2009, 12:01   #15
BHPian

yes i also geta whine in my lancer at each steeering lock .

guess its normals. hush i too was a bit worried when parking at tight spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I get a whine in my lancer, are there any issues with the pump, the A S S said it could be they are not sure

Pramod
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Spot on. I find it in my Lancer as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks