Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 01:18   #16
BHPian

DSC hyundai is a strict no no. Take it to Kun Hyundai for repairs. I have heard lot of horror stories from DSC. Or get a experienced mechanic and he can inspect the vehicle and provide an update to you on the pricing. I had a mechanic who worked in Hyundai and then started his own business. If you need i can send you his number.
Old 10th November 2009, 08:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt
ask them to give you the old parts when you get the car back.
Hi, I am sure it would be hard to differentiate if the damaged/replaced parts that are returned are genuinely from that car !

I would not trust all the A.S.S with engine work ( from personal experience ). Not all of them are experienced and trained by the mfr at the plants ! I have some bitter experience, SUNDARAM cracked my cylinder head and bent upon blaming me. Car was fine when I dropped it at theirs. It took me 2 months to get a free cylinder head from them , with warranty.

Talk to lot of users on here, friends and take your car to an independent garage who would work on engines. I am sure, on request, they would open up the head/engine whilst you wait and give you a better quote !

My cousin bro graduated in Automobile Eng and was trained at the Hyundai and Tata Factory's and worked for their dealerships over years as Mechanic/SA. They are also trained by the dealers to CON all possible customers. He could not take it any more and quit being a mechanic/SA and joined insurance firms in claims department. Now, he is finding it difficult to work there too! Anybody with a clear conscience would find it difficult to work in such domains...

Last edited by vdiatech : 10th November 2009 at 08:21.
Old 10th November 2009, 14:01   #18
BANNED

ok. The cost of valves , timing belt , gaskets should not set you back by more than 3000 rs . Get a quote for spares from mahavir automobiles ,Kun and then from DSC .
Old 10th November 2009, 14:01   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
So its inference engine. Now that its damaged, there is nothing you can do. Only option is to repair the engine.

If the crank is not damaged, its good. Generally in these cases the repairs are expensive.

What was the odometer reading when you bought the car ? You have stated once its 46K kms you have replaced some parts and next you mention its 89K, so IMO, you are cheated by the dealer.

I am not sure but its better if you visit the dealer personally and look at damaged components. How much did you try to crank the engine. Counting its more than 10 seconds, chances are that more than one piston and more than 3 vavles will be damaged, in worst case all 12 valve will need replacement.
I tried cranking it 2-3 times, but not more than 5 seconds..however vehicle is at the workshop and there is lot of probaility that it has been cranked by people there leadin to a lot of internal damage..

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
Its obvious from your post that the odometer has been tampered before you purchased this car. The timing belt is usually recommended to be changes at 80k - 1 lac km in every car.

If it is broken at 49k kms as in your case, that means the actual odo reading of your car must be at least 1 lac+ kms.

It pains still..

Quote:
You have mentioned inlet valves, exhaust valves, and "valves" seperately. Are you confused or have they mentioned this multiple times? Also, why the intake/exhaust manifold, alternator, a/c? What latch assembly?

The usual rebuild job involves changing crankshaft, rods, pistons (+rings), valves, camshafts and timing belt depending on what's broken, and finally a new head gasket. Since only your valves are damaged, all that's needed is new valves, camshaft/s, head gasket and timing belt and other miscellaneous stuff. Pay more attention to the estimate and make them explain why they are replacing each part, and ask them to give you the old parts when you get the car back. __________________
This is wat my service advisor told me over phone. Even i was thinking wat relation does alternator, Ac have with valves,piston... Now he is tellin me to execute th job ASAP or else pay parking fee and towing charges and take back vehicle!!
Old 10th November 2009, 14:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Dude take a day off , go to the A S S or some private worshop , ask them to open it in front of you , see what is being damaged and what not . Dont allow to open the engine without you being there in front of the car ,PERIOD.

By the tone of the service advisor ,he looks like an idiot who will rip you off solidly .

Which service station is it ? . Your location says Bangalore ?

Why alternator , manifold.... replacement ?

Last edited by black12rr : 10th November 2009 at 14:33.
Old 10th November 2009, 21:09   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
Hi, I am sure it would be hard to differentiate if the damaged/replaced parts that are returned are genuinely from that car !

I would not trust all the A.S.S with engine work ( from personal experience ). Not all of them are experienced and trained by the mfr at the plants ! I have some bitter experience, SUNDARAM cracked my cylinder head and bent upon blaming me. Car was fine when I dropped it at theirs. It took me 2 months to get a free cylinder head from them , with warranty.

Talk to lot of users on here, friends and take your car to an independent garage who would work on engines. I am sure, on request, they would open up the head/engine whilst you wait and give you a better quote !

My cousin bro graduated in Automobile Eng and was trained at the Hyundai and Tata Factory's and worked for their dealerships over years as Mechanic/SA. They are also trained by the dealers to CON all possible customers. He could not take it any more and quit being a mechanic/SA and joined insurance firms in claims department. Now, he is finding it difficult to work there too! Anybody with a clear conscience would find it difficult to work in such domains...
Thatz exactly why i hate goin 2 these people..they will loot u big time and make ur life miserable..and poor souls like us have nothing to do but give up to their blundering stories...so vdiatech so do u have knowledge about any reputed garage doin engine work..ur help will be truly appreciated!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
ok. The cost of valves , timing belt , gaskets should not set you back by more than 3000 rs . Get a quote for spares from mahavir automobiles ,Kun and then from DSC .
Hey Yugandhar thx for ur PM man..i wil be in touch wit u soon..wil need ur help...here is the estimate given to me by DSC hyundai:-
Inlet valve-Rs 750 x 8
Exhaust valve- Rs 750 x 4
Timing Belt- Rs 1450
A/C Total(no idea wat parts)- Rs 2200
Stem Assembly- Rs 850 x 12
Head Gasket- Rs 2000
Alternator- Rs 500
P/S Belt- Rs 450
Main Gasket- Rs 800
Camshaft- Rs 350
Manifold- Rs 600
Latch Assembly- Rs 6800
Machine Charges- Rs 2000
Labour- Rs 3000
Towing Charges- Rs 900
VAT- 12.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Dude take a day off , go to the A S S or some private worshop , ask them to open it in front of you , see what is being damaged and what not . Dont allow to open the engine without you being there in front of the car ,PERIOD.

By the tone of the service advisor ,he looks like an idiot who will rip you off solidly .

Which service station is it ? . Your location says Bangalore ?

Why alternator , manifold.... replacement ?
I wanted them to open the engine in the weekend since i will be free then..but these people are threatening me that either the work be executed immediately or pay parking fee and towing charges and leave!!I asked them why and they replied NO PARKING SPACE available!!

Currently I am in chennai and my vehicle is with DSC hyundai saidapet
Old 11th November 2009, 03:53   #22
BHPian

You have two options here.

1. Take a day off and have them open up the engine in front of you and start the work. Once the engine is open you would not be able to take it out and you have to perform the repair in DSC
2. Pay the parking fee and towing charge and take the vehicle to a reputed garage or to Kun. Dont think that i am Propagating for Kun Hyudai, i have heard lot of good comments about their service than DSC.

Most Viewed