Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2011, 13:31   #31
BHPian

Re: Teflon Coating - Harmful on new cars?

Dear Bhpians,
This is why I would never get teflon coating done on my car, this is what has happened to the paint on my bike's tank about a year after I got teflon coating done,
Teflon Coating - Harmful on new cars?-17122011968-1280x768.jpg
as you can see, the layer of teflon has started to come off bit by bit and it now looks absolutely ugly and the only way to get rid of it is to do the same coating again, which is now impossible since the original teflon coating service is non existent. It looks bad enough on a bikes tank and you can just imagine what the bonnet of a car would look like under similar conditions.
Teflon Coating - Harmful on new cars?-17122011969-1280x768.jpg
Please think twice before getting this done...
arun_m5 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 15:18   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_m5 View Post

But if only the protective layer is applied there is no chance of the paint layer being removed.
Thanks Arun.

Right, the supervisor claims the process [Read "Car Protect"] does not remove off any micro layer of paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_m5 View Post

If however, you have noticed a deterioration in paint quality or fading, there is no problems in getting the waxing done since car manufacturers, especially Maruti have a pretty solid layer of clear coat which is quite durable...
Not sure, what you mean here, it is going to be a brand new car that we are talking about.

To put that in simple words, if it removes a layer of paint from my new car, I don't need it now (not for the next couple of years).

"Sonax Car Detailing" to me looked like that, but "Sonax Car Protect", I understand will not remove off any micro layer of paint.

Thanks,
C_
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:01   #33

Dear All,

I have bought a Honda City SMT on May 10th 2013 from Peninsular Honda, Kochi.

Teflon coating was done by the dealer for free.

If i have read this thread before i would not have opted for it.

Now I can see swirl marks all over the car body. Can be seen only under daylight or at night with help of a torch.

I have reported the matter to the dealer. They have asked to bring the car to the showroom.

My doubt is can it be rectified?

Attached some snaps of the car.

Thanks & Regards

Sunil S.
Attached Thumbnails
Teflon Coating - Harmful on new cars?-.png  

Teflon Coating - Harmful on new cars?-b.png  

Old 23rd May 2013, 15:31   #34
BANNED

I saw this thread for the first time, so my tuppence worth.

Teflon on PolyTetraFluoroEthylene is a soft anti stick material from duPont. So I will look at it more like a 'super'-wax. This is a soft material so will not last too long in the dust and grime here. I have avoided it in all my cars, and rather use Collinite 845.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 14:38   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I saw this thread for the first time, so my tuppence worth.

Teflon on PolyTetraFluoroEthylene is a soft anti stick material from duPont. So I will look at it more like a 'super'-wax. This is a soft material so will not last too long in the dust and grime here. I have avoided it in all my cars, and rather use Collinite 845.
What exactly is Collinite 845? is it a waxing/rubbing agent or a protective film to be applied on top?

Is there a product/treatment available in your knowledge which can be used to protect the car's paint from mild scratches etc because of the dust environment?
For instance, someone at my office wiped off the dust from my car (dark maroon shade) using a dry cloth - he had the best of intentions, but it left behind ugly scratches on the quarterpanel.

My thinking is to:
1. Get a proper foam wash for the car to clean any dust/debris
2. Have a good waxing job done.
3. Get a protective film applied that would last at least a year - protects from mild rubbing scratches etc -> This is the part I need advice with - what could be a suitable product/treatment for this?
Old 27th March 2014, 15:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

Please refer to below thread for details in Collinite:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ite-845-a.html
jinojohnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 12:36   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
What exactly is Collinite 845? is it a waxing/rubbing agent or a protective film to be applied on top?

Is there a product/treatment available in your knowledge which can be used to protect the car's paint from mild scratches etc because of the dust environment?
For instance, someone at my office wiped off the dust from my car (dark maroon shade) using a dry cloth - he had the best of intentions, but it left behind ugly scratches on the quarterpanel.

My thinking is to:
1. Get a proper foam wash for the car to clean any dust/debris
2. Have a good waxing job done.
3. Get a protective film applied that would last at least a year - protects from mild rubbing scratches etc -> This is the part I need advice with - what could be a suitable product/treatment for this?
845 is one of the good and durable wax available today. if you can apply this wax after every two months and use spray wax/ Quick Detailers in between. You can have a very good protection on your car.

As you have a dark colour , i would suggest to buy 915 insted of 845 as depth and richness after using 915 is amazing
NOTORIOUS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 11:44   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
845 is one of the good and durable wax available today. if you can apply this wax after every two months and use spray wax/ Quick Detailers in between. You can have a very good protection on your car.

As you have a dark colour , i would suggest to buy 915 insted of 845 as depth and richness after using 915 is amazing
Thanks Notorious.

Do you water-wash your car before a 915 application or shampoo wash it?
(I heard many car shampoos remove the wax layer when used for a couple of washes)
Old 29th March 2014, 14:52   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Thanks Notorious.

Do you water-wash your car before a 915 application or shampoo wash it?
(I heard many car shampoos remove the wax layer when used for a couple of washes)

If The Car Is Dirty , Shampoo Wash Is Best ! , For Maintenance Wash Use Meguiars Hyperwash or Meguiars Next Generation Car Wash As They Will Not Hamper Your Wax Protection !
Old 12th May 2014, 12:25   #40
BHPian

I Got the 10k km service of my Ecosport done on Saturday at Harpreet Ford, Gurgaon. The second coat of Teflon was due. I asked the SA to get Dupont Teflon done on my car as that is what actually is Teflon but unfortunately no one in the ASS knew what Dupont was. This is what they use for a Teflon coat. Please throw some light if anyone knows what this stuff is. I have no idea what it is.

Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
Teflon Coating - Harmful on new cars?-img_20140510_165823.jpg  

Teflon Coating - Harmful on new cars?-img_20140510_165815.jpg  

Old 12th May 2014, 12:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thtee View Post
I have no idea what it is. Cheers !
This appears to be a polish which has some filling properties. Kind of polish + compounding rolled in one. Far from teflon.

These are the ones that 3M usually uses at their outlets but neither are they long lasting nor do they give you the perfect protection that you are looking for.
Old 26th June 2014, 02:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Modi Hyundai, Thane : Dupes in the name of teflon coating.

I came across a fellow travel & auto enthusiast whose sister bought a Hyundai i20 recently. They decided to go for the Teflon coating that was offered & paid for it at the time of purchase & were told it'd be done during 1st service.

Yesterday was the first service and this is what he had to say :

Quote:
So today was the first service of my sister's i20 purchased from Modi Hyundai, Thane.

The service appointment was taken at Modi Hyundai service centre, opposite Oswal Park, Thane.

While purchasing the car we had opted for an additional package of underbody anti rust coating, Engine coating and "Teflon" coating which was decided to be done on the first service at the service centre. I was always skeptical about this as teflon is a registered product of Dupont which has been discontinued and I have also read many people passing off other paint protectors/wax/polish as teflon. Still I thought that there might be some direct tie up with companies so I went ahead with it.

Now during the service, the usual free service stuff was done and when it came to washing. They applied diesel all over the body. Now i understand that diesel is used to loosen up the grime but applying it on the whole car?? I still said nothing as it was an extremely thin coat and was coming off very easily.
Then after the wash, the car was moved to other area for engine and underbody anti rust coating.
The underbody anti rust coating (as with any spray-ons) left yellowish particles on the car. I was told that before the "teflon" coating, car will be washed again to remove those particles. Again diesel was applied(this time - a lot) and it had loosened those particles forming a yellowish tint. Even after repeated washes with foam as well, it wasn't removed completely. I was told that the polishing with the rubbing compound before "teflon" coating would remove this.

Meanwhile I insisted to see what company "teflon" solution was used. First the service advisor blatantly refused saying they weren't allowed to disclose the materials, then upon insisting more that "I would not allow the work to proceed unless I get to see the authentic teflon liquid", they agreed to show me the materials.
And my skepticism was confirmed as they were just using a rubbing compound, paint protector and polish, and a wax.
Teflon Coating - Harmful on new cars?-1.jpg

Teflon Coating - Harmful on new cars?-2.jpg

Obviously I refused the ongoing work as I had clearly paid for the "teflon coating". They started explaining me that "shine aajaega wahi chahie na apko", Not that misinformed as I was, I argued that this is not teflon coating but instead polishing and waxing. They later accepted but again started explaining that this is the same thing and thats what they do.

I strongly objected and asked the service advisor to stop the job card processing till I take this issue up with the Modi Hyundai dealer as this was clearly not what I had paid for. I have the equipment & the materials, if I wanted waxing and polishing I would have done it myself.

The service advisor came back saying the job card was already closed! What the h*ll! The work isn't even completed how can the job card be closed? This was complete anarchy! This was followed by another argument after which they agreed to re open the job card if the sales executive says so.

I am going to visit the dealership tomorrow and bring along with me the sales executive of my car.

Kindly advise what should i do. Attached are the work order and the closed job card and the materials they used as "teflon"

Teflon Coating - Harmful on new cars?-3.jpg

Teflon Coating - Harmful on new cars?-4.jpg

I was sold something else on the name of something else.

And the job card was closed even before the job was completed
Kindly advise on where should i escalate this matter to.
Ofcourse as he seeks advice on whom he can escalate the matter to, it'd be great if we discuss how such matters could be dealt with.

My point is to look at the larger issue : Its 2014, by now all this has been well documented all over the internet, yet even well informed people who've researched things are being brazenly cheated. Imagine the situation for the less or non-connected!

Such instances of blatant cheating are merely escalated and considered as resolved after a refund. The parent company usually washes its hands off expressing 'regret', saying they're not connected with other such issues of the dealership.

I've nothing against Hyundai. But if even reputed brands like Hyundai, after learning of such brazen cheating by its dealer, still continues to without penalising them, then what kind of brand has Hyundai reduced itself to? One that doesn't stand for its customers?

Anyway, its important to also look at the larger issue on how many auto-dealerships take us for granted & manage to cheat people despite knowing that the related information is often discussed & easily available on the internet. They've no fear that they could be caught red handed! Also to introspect that, Consumer Protection Laws aside, are we excessively liberal when it comes to automotive products?

When something available for Rs.400-/ is misrepresented and sold to us for 3,500, what most of us do is, escalate the issue to parent brand, collect back our money & be done with it. We don't report it to legal authorities or pursue it further. This makes it quite convenient for dealers to cheat unsuspecting customers & simply pay-back money to the select few informed ones who make a noise!

If such practices become a culture, it could bite us consumers real bad some day. We've all seen how improperly fitted after-market accessories can cause serious damage to cars & even cause fires!

All in all, the purpose of this thread is mainly to urge people not to take it lying down & explore solutions in the larger view for preventing such incidents so we don't end up paying a regretfully high price in future.

Whatsay?

Mods : Please attach this thread to any existing thread where the same issues are being discussed.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 26th June 2014 at 12:35.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 08:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Re: Modi Hyundai Dupes in the name of teflon coating.

Sad to know the ordeal. Modi Hyundai Thane is a known crook as I have personally experienced the same with my Santro long time back when I was cheated for the anti rust coating. The only escalation I knew was to contact the owner and I remember barging inside his cabin and venting my frustration which worked for me though.

The only way to get the Hyundai management noticed is to get the help of the media and social network. Writing mails to the top shots isnt going to help. Also the govt authorities are least bothered in such cases when it comes to consumer protection. So its basically your friends battle vs Hyundai guys. All the best to your friend.
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 09:40   #44
Team-BHP Support

Re: Modi Hyundai Dupes in the name of teflon coating.

Teflon has become an umbrella term for any kind of polish these days. Almost every photocopy shop claims to have Xerox, have you ever seen a Xerox photocopier with them?
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 07:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

Update : He met the sales executive & manager and they've agreed to refund Rs.3000/- after a week & on condition that he sends them the pictures by mail.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks