Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 12:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Teflon Coating - Harmful on new cars?

I know we have multiple threads on Teflon coating, But I'm making this thread specifically as a warning to new car owners, and to question its utility to a new car, even if free

As Per my understanding & Observation, what happens when you do a Teflon coating here is

1. Wash
2.Apply Rubbing compound/Swirl Remover
3.Apply Solid wax
4. Buff using machine.

I cant imagine how applying rubbing compound and using a rotary buffer - probably by some newbie- can be good on one's car. Why damage your clear coat and add swirl marks on your paint necessarily?

Usually Dealers give out "teflon coating" as a freebie, and most people accept it as its free.
But if it damages the paint finish, I'm going to recommend that people avoid it, even if its free.

What do you guys think.

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th November 2009 at 12:03.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2009, 12:58   #2
BHPian

i am shocked that the above procedure is passed off as Teflon coating by some illiterate operators!
firstly, to give a clarifiaction TEFLON is a patented material by DUPONT and there are only a handful of operators in Chennai who do the actual thing.
it is a 3-stage process on a new car and 4 stage on used cars.
1. stage1-in both cases, the car has to be cleaned and dusted(which means, dust-free environment)
2. then the CPC(car paint protector) is applied first(on new cars).
2a, in a used car, the car also needs to be cleaned with a readily available smoke haze/oxidant remover to bring the freshness back.
3. then the TEFLON cating material is applied on all the painted surfaces(not on the glass)
4.after letting it dry an few minutes the car is polished with a buffing machine. this is the most important stage of the process, the longer the buffing happens the better embedded the TEFLON is, so make sure that the operator takes as much time as possible on this stage. the TEFLON will fill out all the tiny gaps and swirls and give a high gloss shine.

other wax polishing jobs also give the same finish but where the TEFLON coating differs from them is the shine stays on for a longer time.most TEFLON coating operators give a 3 year warranty with a free coating once every 12 months.
In Chennai, Haute Car Zone on OMR and Sandhya car accessories(alwarpet) do this process.

alternatively, get a box of Formula1 carnuba wax or Eagle1 Nano wax(is better) and do it yourself at home once every 3 months, it will also give you a chance to bond regulary with your car as well!

Last edited by sterlingjames : 9th November 2009 at 13:01.
Old 9th November 2009, 13:13   #3
Team-BHP Support

I think its total waste of money, i would rather invest in some pure wax and apply it every 3 months. Do a 3M surface refinement, swirl removal and polishing every 2-3 years
Old 9th November 2009, 14:34   #4
BHPian

Looking forward to comments from Gurus as I am planning to book my first car and the dealer has offered a free teflon coating.
Old 9th November 2009, 20:03   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Teflon really isn't suited for our harsh weather either. The coating on the roof of my Esteem entirely cracked up (thanks to being parked under direct sun). It looked horrible thanks to the millions of fragments that the teflon broke into. Teflon is rubbish and only serves the purpose of making the dealer's cash registers ring.

I would say no to teflon even if a dealer paid me for it. Want to really keep your car looking good? Polish it ever so often (once in 6 months at the minimum).

Quote:
As Per my understanding & Observation, what happens when you do a Teflon coating here is

1. Wash
2.Apply Rubbing compound/Swirl Remover
3.Apply Solid wax
4. Buff using machine.
Nope, that's not teflon.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2009, 20:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nope, that's not teflon.
I know, but that's what sells here as Teflon coating.

Some other dealers do offer 3M car detailing, but most simply do a generic 'Teflon coating' job, and most people, looking at the shine fall for it.

I found this out because I wanted to find out where they get their clay bars from. I cosied up to one of the dudes in an entirely unofficial capacity, and asked they what they used to prepare the surface before the wax/polish, and he said Rubbing compound, and nothing more. He had no idea when I asked him about the clay like stuff. he thought I was confusing either the rubbing compound/the solid wax.

While you get a proper job in bigger cities, I'm pretty sure a lot of unsuspecting people fall victim in smaller cities like mine.

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th November 2009 at 20:14.
Old 9th November 2009, 20:42   #7
BHPian

I was promised this as a freebie, but now Im having 2nd thoughts. I am going to ask the dealer not to do this.
Old 9th November 2009, 22:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

bottom line, check if the treatment is branded (sometimes they will say, yes we use branded products, but thats not quite the same) , and whether you get a certificate from said brand ( not just *some* certificate)
Old 10th November 2009, 07:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

I second Jaggu's feedback. Since last year I am applying 3M Polish once in 8 months and no buffing machine used (frequent use of buffing would affect paint surface). This is giving great result!

3M is good If we do like this. If buffing machine is used then waxpool polish is suitable. I have waxpool silica liquid to clean plastic/alloys/rims. I have glass cleaner as well which I found not so useful.

To clean the interiors I use car detailer which is worth as per my expereince. BUT car's exterior polish its better If we get it done in hot sun shiny day.

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2009, 10:38   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I know, but that's what sells here as Teflon coating.
SCAM alert!

However, on the bright side, the receiving car owner has probably benefited anyways. His car is better off without Teflon!
Old 10th November 2009, 10:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am getting 3M Waxoyl body coat as a freebie on a new car. Is this Teflon?
Old 10th November 2009, 11:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

My brother works for the stockist of Dupont products. He is the distribution manager. I told him to check out the teflon coating and tyvek car covers with a Dupont employee. The feed back was that teflon coating is best suited for cool,dust free climates, and not advisable for our hot & dusty summers. He further said if at all it is applied, then 100% covered parking at all times must be ensured!

As for the Tyvek covers, I have posted the details in the Car care-aesthetics thread.

Last edited by Gansan : 10th November 2009 at 11:19.
Gansan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2009, 12:02   #13
BHPian

Hello,

Thanks for the details have some querys here. Can waxing cover up swirls and scratches. And what about some scratches where the base coat(whitish layer) is visible?
Old 15th November 2009, 21:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

rubbing compound should do half the job. If the base coat is visible, not much can be done. Do check if its the base coat, or the paint of the other car
Old 16th November 2009, 16:54   #15
BHPian

I will be getting delivery of my car soon. What to do to protect the red paint? I am more bend towards waxoyl now should I just get it waxed from waxoyl regularly. I want to as If not teflon since its not at all suitable for environment like delhi, what is suitable to protect the paint.
Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks