Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2009, 19:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

I had read some where that the cars in forgein countries use thisd liquid. SO that they can drive even after a nail getting into the tyre. I don't remember / know the truth
Old 22nd November 2009, 20:19   #17
BHPian

Sierra kamat,

Its purely my way of looking at this. If you are convinced, then its upto you to decide what to do.

@ akshay4587,

I never mentioned that tubeless tyres are puncture proof. In my driving expereince of 20 years, i can count the no. of times i have visited or rather sent my men to get the puncture fixed.

I have also driven with a nail in a tubeless from mysore to bangalore in my one of cars. I did get it fixed after a day, even though i filled the air once.

What i meant was when tubeless gives you so much time, its not worth spending .

However, it takes all kind to make the world, and different people have different views.
Old 22nd November 2009, 20:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nandan - your logic is flawed. I've had 1.5 punctures per tyre so far in 31k km of my swift. If I change them at 50k - I'll end up with ten punctures total.

Over 500 bucks worth of repair cost and endless hassle (esp for someone who drives through the night) - I'd slime anyday.

PS: I've seen and sat pillion on a Duro with 4 nails in it, on a karizma. Slime works!
Old 22nd November 2009, 22:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Its not about the number of punctures one has faced.

I have never seen a single puncture on the GIIIs that have run 21K kms. But what if i face my first and only puncture when driving on a lonely stretch past midnight, during an emergency?

I wouldn't want to spend even a single sec wasting time trying to replace it with the spare tyre. In such situations, it can prove to be a real life saver.

And its cost is peanuts compared to what you would have to shell out for a set of run flats (which only work for a limited distance at a limited speed) or the tweel (which we could see in the near future).

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 22nd November 2009 at 22:25.
Old 22nd November 2009, 22:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
But what if i face my first and only puncture when driving on a lonely stretch past midnight, during an emergency?

And its cost is peanuts compared to what you would have to shell out for a set of run flats (which only work for a limited distance at a limited speed) or the tweel (which we could see in the near future).

Shan2nu
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
What if you are crusing at highspeeds and a nail gets into you tyre and due to air leakage, disasters may happen. If you have this in your tyres then not completely but at least till an extent the disaster can be recduced.
Tubeless tyres with punctures caused by nails don't go flat immediately - the leak is quite slow as is. The leak is often undetectable until the nail is located and pulled out.

I have knowingly driven my punctured tubeless tyres (with the nails still in them) for several days before repairing the puncture. All you need to do is top up the air everyday.

My point is that a nail puncture is usually not a catastrophic failure for a tubeless tyre - so getting this tyre sealant is actually not of much use. The sealant will fail anyways if the puncture is bigger.

A much more effective way to avoid getting stuck with a tubeless tyre puncture is to carry an air pump in the car.
Old 22nd November 2009, 22:51   #21
BHPian

If this thing works/helps price should not be a problem at all.Many even pay for airbags,but sometimes even they fail to save life's,i mean we should alwyas try to be on a safer side.

But why hasn't this product catched up in the market yet ? Or is it like i haven't heard of it till now ? Anyone knows where can this thing be done in Pune ?
Old 23rd November 2009, 08:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Nandan - your logic is flawed. I've had 1.5 punctures per tyre so far in 31k km of my swift. If I change them at 50k - I'll end up with ten punctures total.

Over 500 bucks worth of repair cost and endless hassle (esp for someone who drives through the night) - I'd slime anyday.

PS: I've seen and sat pillion on a Duro with 4 nails in it, on a karizma. Slime works!
Unlucky you, you seem to have lots of puncture. Obviously its understandable that one gets relief to know of something like Slime.

i think you should go ahead with your ideas.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 23rd November 2009 at 08:17.
Old 23rd November 2009, 08:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Also see this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...does-work.html

Address/link of re-sellers in India is given
Old 23rd November 2009, 13:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A much more effective way to avoid getting stuck with a tubeless tyre puncture is to carry an air pump in the car.
If the hole is too big even a pump is useless.

And rem, even if the tyre loses air slowly, by the time you realise this, you would have driven many kms on ultra low pressure which could damage the tyre.

End of the day, its upto the individual to decide whether he needs it or not.

Shan2nu
Old 29th November 2009, 17:48   #25
BHPian

Are Re-Sellers for this product fighting here with naysayers ? It looks like that.

Someone has still not answered my question whether the tyres become hard if this Slime is used. Long Time Users, Please answer.
Old 29th November 2009, 18:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
If the hole is too big even a pump is useless.
Shan2nu
So is this treatment. AFAIK - this only seals punctures upto a certain size.
Old 29th November 2009, 20:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
So is this treatment. AFAIK - this only seals punctures upto a certain size.
The executive shoved a nail almost 8mm wide into the tyre and as soon as he took the nail out, there was no air leaking. Now don't expect a 5cm hole to get sealed..thats practically impossible
Old 21st October 2013, 17:32   #28
BHPian

Re: No more punctures for the rest of your tyre's life

Reviving this thread as I had some queries and hope someone who has used this product can give more recent updates.

Been to Nissan service station for the Micra checkup today. They pitched me a similar product as mentioned in this thread, but called as Puncturesafe (http://www.puncturesafe.com/flashintro.html).

Has anyone used this product (or similar) lately and have any feedback to give? Lifelong no punctures, can handle multiple punctures, tyre pressure is not lost as frequently etc etc are the benefits they mentioned. Cost depends on tyre size.

For the 195 profile S-Drives it comes up to about Rs. 3100/- for all 5 tyres.

1. Is it really that effective & worth paying that much?
2. Would it make sense to fill this in the Trepadors on my Gypsy which is used offroad as well?

Would appreciate comments from those who have used this.

Last edited by vroom666 : 21st October 2013 at 17:34.
Old 21st October 2013, 17:56   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
Reviving this thread as I had some queries and hope someone who has used this product can give more recent updates.

Been to Nissan service station for the Micra checkup today. They pitched me a similar product as mentioned in this thread, but called as Puncturesafe (http://www.puncturesafe.com/flashintro.html).
Sounds very good. I was unaware of such a product till date and I think it is an excellent solution if it really works the way advertised. I agree the cost is slightly high but then if it avoids that rare instance of having to get down in the middle of the road and get all dirty trying to change a punctured tyre. Can really play spoil sports with your plans.

Also can something similar be done to RFTs? Wouldn't this effectively solve the problem of having to carry a space saver?
Old 21st October 2013, 19:47   #30
BHPian

I filled this in one of my car tyres to check the product and depending on how good it was I would fill it in the other 3 tyres. What I noticed maybe after a year or 2 is that the rim got got rusted and the solution had dried up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks