Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2009, 18:42   #46
BHPian

Ah friends than's a lot for that- from what I read - I will be first replacing the radiator cap - the thermostat and flush the complete coolant out and refill with new clean mixture, if even then the problem persists - then I will get the valve changed -

does anyone know how to drain all the current coolant from the system?

as some more info -

the versa has a electric fan and the spilliage never ever touches the exhaust as the coolant reservoir is in the front and the engine below the seats.

the spill from the reservoir happens exactly after I switch off the engine.and now I am only just filling in water

Regards
IRfan
Old 7th December 2009, 18:46   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irfanulla View Post
Ah friends than's a lot for that- from what I read - I will be first replacing the radiator cap - the thermostat and flush the complete coolant out and refill with new clean mixture, if even then the problem persists - then I will get the valve changed -

as some more info -

the versa has a electric fan and the spilliage never ever touches the exhaust as the coolant reservoir is in the front and the engine below the seats.

the spill from the reservoir happens exactly after I switch off the engine.and now I am only just filling in water

Regards
IRfan
Just open the hose at the bottom of the radiator and the coolant/water will drain out.
I had a question and that is after repalcing the thermostat and the problem still percists would you try your luck by what i and sudhsharma said?

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 7th December 2009 at 18:48.
Old 7th December 2009, 19:39   #48
BHPian

after long drives let it idle for 5-10 mins, before shutting it off, it is actually because of a clogged radiator and a faulty radiator cap. it pushes the coolant when not needed but does not pull it back when needed hence it overflows from the tank. i am having the same problem in my patrol when i drive out of the city, its fine in the city though.i will be servicing my radiator and it should be ok, there is less space in there now for the coolant to circulate due to all the muck over the years!
Old 7th December 2009, 20:22   #49
BHPian

I was just looking at the Maruti spares price list post elsewhere on this forum - the thermostat is 2k replacement - wow

17560-76A31
CAP COMP,WATER THERMOSTAT

If the thermostat valve is cheaper - I will try that first on my Versa.
Old 7th December 2009, 20:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was just looking at the Maruti spares price list post elsewhere on this forum - the thermostat is 2k replacement - wow

17560-76A31
CAP COMP,WATER THERMOSTAT

If the thermostat valve is cheaper - I will try that first on my Versa.
Quote:

Irafabulla get the Valve changed it will cost you about Rs 400 or lower. make sure you get the same temp valve as you have on the engine right now. there are two temp valves on maruti cars 82 degree and 88 degree, Versa will provably have the same as esteem 82 Degree.

Wow that just shows the accuracey of the info provided by our member .By the way where are you based?
Old 7th December 2009, 20:56   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
.By the way where are you based?
Bangalore - R.T.Nagar to be specific
Old 7th December 2009, 21:10   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
All the parts in a car are there for a purpose. None of them has been added just to add weight or charge extra money from the customers. To remove a part from a car is not an owner's prerogative. It's simply a folly.
I agree. If a thermostat valve was not nexessary in a car, for most parts of India, the MUL would be the first to discard it and save money on the cost of the new vehicle.
@sudharma do you have a photo of a Sunbeam twin there next to your name? hmm a S-8 and a BSA A-50. Say why don't you post some pics of your bikes in the vintage section with some stories about both.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 7th December 2009 at 21:16.
Old 7th December 2009, 22:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

as some more info -

Regards
IRfan
I would suggest not to try and drain the coolant yourself. Also don't use pure water instead of coolant. The boiling point of water is much lower than the coolant + water mixture. The engine will always operate at temperatures much higher than the boiling point of plain water. As good as useless. Always use a coolant + water mixture. I think the recommended proportion is 50/50 for Maruti. You can check the Versa manual or MASS for more clarity.

If you know any neighbourhood mechanic, he may drain and refill the coolant for you for zero or nominal charge. This way you could save on expensive labour at an MASS. You can even consult the mechanic regarding the problem. Formulate a step by step approach based on the feedback you have got here, plus any hands-on advice you get from MASS or local mechanics. Change one part, observe its effect. If the problem goes away you are done. If the problem persists, then change another part. Don't change everything at once. You could start with the cheapest part, i.e. the radiator cap. Also remember, whether you buy the parts from MASS or any other shop, make sure they are the same spec as the original Maruti part. This is very important. The thermostat will have a temperature rating, even the radiator cap has a pressure rating. Any mismatches could expose you to overheating/underheating.
Old 8th December 2009, 05:23   #54
BHPian

[quote=honeybee;1619060]

quote]

These modern vehicles except Indica ( again here I heard that Indica has design links with Italy?) are not designed in India , They are designed in countries like Japan, Germany, USA, UK etc where the climate is reaches extreme cold. And also these vehicles are exported all over the world .

Don't one see Amby, Fiats, etc in places like Kashmere ,Ooty Simla, Ninital etc? What about other the vehicles that don't have these kind of items still running in India and all over the world?

I did not say that one have to remove this item. I said I agreed that this is not an absolutly essential item in moderate climates.
Old 8th December 2009, 09:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

[quote=sudharma;1621755]
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

quote]

These modern vehicles except Indica ( again here I heard that Indica has design links with Italy?) are not designed in India , They are designed in countries like Japan, Germany, USA, UK etc where the climate is reaches extreme cold. And also these vehicles are exported all over the world .

Don't one see Amby, Fiats, etc in places like Kashmere ,Ooty Simla, Ninital etc? What about other the vehicles that don't have these kind of items still running in India and all over the world?

I did not say that one have to remove this item. I said I agreed that this is not an absolutly essential item in moderate climates.
Let me rephrase my earlier argument: If any part of today's cars was "not absolutely essential", it wouldn't be there in the first place. Go through a factory-fitted M-800, for e.g. and tell me which parts are "not absolutely essential" in it. Even the spare tyre and the toolkit (including the hazard triangle provided in cars such as Santro) are absolutely essential. Whatever is not, the manufacturer does not provide, for e.g. floor mats.

If you remember, when BMW launched a vehicle with run-flat tyres, it did not include a spare tyre with the car and they had to fight with the Indian Government to get the vehicle homologated. Check this link for details:

BMW faces spare-wheel trouble - International Business - Biz - The Times of India

So something which is not essential for the actual running of the car, is still required by the government to be present in the car, in case the car gets stuck anywhere.

Even if the Ambys and Fiats ply today on the roads, a modern car will give you a better performance anytime over these outdated vehicles. Just because they are surviving on the roads doesn't mean you should adapt your modern vehicle to match those antique pieces.

Do you think Ambassadors and Fiats use the same technology as a modern car? Fiats are out of production and Ambys will soon go out of production if the sales continue. The last I checked with an Ambassador dealer at Mumbai, he said he managed to sell hardly a couple of vehicles in a whole year. If the Amby has been designed to run without a thermostat, it also means an Amby will take a lot of time to reach its operating temperature, result in a lot of fuel and oil burn, emit black smoke and in general give you a very bad time as a responsible owner.

I remember we had to warm up my uncle's Fiat (Premier Padmini DX to be exact) by high-revving the engine for a minute after a cold start. I also remember before every major trip with the car we had to refill the oil and coolant, and at every stop we used to check both the levels to ensure they didn't drop below the minimum. We also carried the coolant and engine oil with us throughout the journey, resulting in spillage inside the boot. We have moved on to the modern cars and hardly ever bother opening the bonnet and check the fluid levels.

As for the cars being designed and developed in other countries, they still need to be homologated in India for them to be legally approved as road-worthy. Also if I were to buy a car today, I would prefer to buy one which I can take anywhere legally possible, without having to worry about whether the outside temperature is hot or cold. Something that works wherever it goes.
Old 8th December 2009, 14:38   #56
BHPian

hi irfan,

first check if your filling your coolant above the max mark, if not so check if the coolant lid is sealed properly to maintain pressure. once u clear these2, your prob should be solved. it cant be a thermostat failure or a blown gasket as the engine will over heat on a long run.
Old 8th December 2009, 22:51   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS View Post
hi irfan,

first check if your filling your coolant above the max mark, if not so check if the coolant lid is sealed properly to maintain pressure. once u clear these2, your prob should be solved. it cant be a thermostat failure or a blown gasket as the engine will over heat on a long run.
do you mean it should be above it?, _ and the cap- is that the one on the radiator or the reservoir tank?

the cap on the reservoir tank that does have it the coolant usually drains from there.

RGDS
IRfan
Old 9th December 2009, 10:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
do you mean it should be above it?, _ and the cap- is that the one on the radiator or the reservoir tank?

the cap on the reservoir tank that does have it the coolant usually drains from there.

RGDS
IRfan
The coolant (or any other fluid for that matter) should be always between the max - min range. So filling the reservoir above the max level may also lead to coolant spilling out. Do not fill the reservoir to the brim. Upto or just a little below the MAX line should be enough.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:13   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Regards
IRfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Just open the hose at the bottom of the radiator and the coolant/water will drain out.
Changing coolant in a Versa is not a joke- Please don't attempt it yourself.

I attempted to change the coolant in my Versa myself once(having done it in my earlier Esteem) and failed miserably.

The radiator drain in any car is the lowest point in the coolant circuit in any car - except the Versa.Here the lowest point is the bottom hose.Also the coolant has to be drained with the thermostat valve open - so that has to be done by disconnecting the bottom hose immediately after the engine is switched off - very tricky operation and must be done with utmost safety.

Filling up fresh coolant-water mix is also a long procedure.I would strongly recommend this is entrusted to a MASS who know this job.Many local mechanics don't know all this.
Old 9th December 2009, 19:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Changing coolant in a Versa is not a joke- Please don't attempt it yourself.

I attempted to change the coolant in my Versa myself once(having done it in my earlier Esteem) and failed miserably.

The radiator drain in any car is the lowest point in the coolant circuit in any car - except the Versa.Here the lowest point is the bottom hose.Also the coolant has to be drained with the thermostat valve open - so that has to be done by disconnecting the bottom hose immediately after the engine is switched off - very tricky operation and must be done with utmost safety.

Filling up fresh coolant-water mix is also a long procedure.I would strongly recommend this is entrusted to a MASS who know this job.Many local mechanics don't know all this.
Hi,
Food for thought.

In light of the above, I would think Irfanulla's Versa has an airlock in the cooling system. All symptoms consistent with it.

Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks