Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2005, 16:31   #1
BHPian

Sick with anxiety over problems in my brand new Baleno!

Hi People,

I got delivery of my "pearl Silver" Baleno Lxi on Monday, the 8th at Siliguri. Was initially worried that the particular car I was getting would not be everything I'd hoped for but after careful inspection and on taking a comprehensive test drive, I was satisfied and frankly, on top of the world!!

During the Test drive itself, the inadequacy of the stock tyres revealed itself, squealing on hard braking and losing composure. Also checked out the headlights at night driving on the highway and found them to be waay too poor. My 10 yr old Gypsy's got better lighting! Otherwise, everything seemed to be All OK, so I signed on the dotted line and took delivery.

Got Teflon coating and Anti-Rust treatement done as well as got accessories fitted like Nippon Security system, ciggratte lighter (Isn't it supposed to come in stock?), Body cover, Art Leather seatcovers, carpet matting etc .... from the 28k discount. Still got about 11 grands more of MGA to buy.

Upon taking delivery, immediately went to the Tyre shop and ordered a set of 14" alloys and 195/60 tyres. Had a lot of convincing to do at the Maruti dealer as well as the tyre shop coz everybody said that 14' would not go on a Baleno and i should stick to 13". The people at the dealer remained unconvinced and at the tyre shop,I ordered the rims and tyres on the condition that I'd be responsible if the wheels touched the body.

For the tyres, earlier wanted to go for either GoodYear Eagle F1 (1st choice) or Bridgestone Potenza G3 (second choice). They didn't have either ready so I went in for 5 Goodyear Ducaro GAs which was in ready stock. Had earlier liked the Neo Matrix 14" alloys but at the last minute found a sample of a new design from Aura. It's a fancy brushed aluminium hyper silver (kinda smoked) design- Numbered E01445. Pretty Groovy. Ordered a set of 5 from Calcutta and got it delivered the next morning. Wheel balancing and alignment done. Everything costed me a cool 37,800 bucks. Got 7 grands for the stock tyres and rims.

As for the bulbs, the Maruti dealership guys were emphatic in saying that if I upgraded to 90/100 watt bulbs and installed a cutout, then the electric warranty would be void. Went to an accessories shop and he installed the 90/100 bulbs without a cutout- just direct bulb replacement. He gave me a few extra fuses and told me not to worry. If the bulbs caused too much load, then the fuse would blow and nothing else and I could just replace the fuses. The beam is much brighter now but am apprehensive.

On Wednesday, took the 110 kms drive home to Gangtok. Initially everything was fine and smooth. But noticed that after I changed the tyres and rims from Stock to 14", on the highway, over slightly gravelly patches, a sort of a tak-tak-khatak- tak noise started coming from the steering coulmn or just below it at certain speeds- 30-40kmph. This was very unobtrusive at first but gradually, became louder, esp. when I turned the steering.

Also, although the suspension takes the really rough roads at a crawling speeds well (no bottoming out), at higher speeds, with just two people on board- no luggage, on even very minor potholes, there is a sickning thud as the front suspension bottoms and the tyres hit the wheelwell. It's really surprising as with the 165/80r13 tyres, similar small potholes were dismissed contempously and the 185/60r14 is supposed to have the same overall diameter!( Does it???) This was paticularly bad at the front right suspension (driver's side). Towards the end of my highway trip, i started slowing down to crawling speeds for the smallest road irregularities. Very frustruating!

Yesterday, after washing the car, I found ugly white-grey faded patches on the black doorhandles- All four of them. On closer inspection, found similar discolouration on the black centre strip- the B pillars, on one of the mudflaps and on the plastic between the bonnet and the front glass (where the wipers are installed)! This shouldnt' be hapenning on a brand new car!

My worries are-

- If I go back to the dealer and complain about the noise from the suspension/ below the steering column, then he's sure to put that as because of the change of rim size and cancel my warranty on the suspension. How do i convince the people at the dealer that the upsizing dosen't cause any problems. ( Really guys, does it??)If it is really the case, then I'll have to somehow sell these alloys and tyres and buy 13" again. Really difficult and am bound to lose a lot of money on it.

- Is the front suspension of the Baleno really so flimsy that it bottoms out on such minor potholes? I read in this site somewhere that there was a lot of complaints about the front right side but this is a bit too much. At this rate, I can't go above 60-70 unless the road is billiard table smooth! Is it because of the upsizing? Was this whole 14" upsizing business a really bad idea?

- The Headlamps. Although I've been driving around quite a lot with the 90/100 bulbs and without a cutout and not faced any problems, is there a possible danger? In case of circuit overload, will the fuse blow and nothing else, or could it be more harmful? What should I do? I cannot cut any wiring. Should I go back to the 55/60 watt original bulbs?

- Discoloration of black plastic parts. Is this normal? Have i been given an old car reconditioned? How can I check the actual age of the car- when it was manufactured at the factory. I checked the headlights and taillights for some date markings, couldn't make it out. The original tyres with the year/month of manufacture are already gone. Does the chasis/ body or engine have any Year/month of manufacture? What do i do?

Called up the dealer and told him about the problems and he asked me to bring the car down and they'd check it up. But if there are any genuine suspension problems, they are sure to blame the wheel upgrades.

Am sick with worry. Guys please advice.

Puffy.
Old 13th August 2005, 18:34   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
Got Teflon coating and Anti-Rust treatement done as well as got accessories fitted like Nippon Security system, ciggratte lighter (Isn't it supposed to come in stock?), Body cover, Art Leather seatcovers, carpet matting etc .... from the 28k discount. Still got about 11 grands more of MGA to buy.
Cigarette lighter comes with Baleno Lxi, so does carpet matting. Go through the Accessory list in the brochure for yourself. Checkout Baleno's website for a PDF version of the brochure.

Quote:
Also, although the suspension takes the really rough roads at a crawling speeds well (no bottoming out), at higher speeds, with just two people on board- no luggage, on even very minor potholes, there is a sickning thud as the front suspension bottoms and the tyres hit the wheelwell. It's really surprising as with the 165/80r13 tyres, similar small potholes were dismissed contempously and the 185/60r14 is supposed to have the same overall diameter!( Does it???) This was paticularly bad at the front right suspension (driver's side). Towards the end of my highway trip, i started slowing down to crawling speeds for the smallest road irregularities. Very frustruating!
Is the problem similar to the one described here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5354
It shouldn't happen in a new car anyway.

Quote:
Yesterday, after washing the car, I found ugly white-grey faded patches on the black doorhandles- All four of them. On closer inspection, found similar discolouration on the black centre strip- the B pillars, on one of the mudflaps and on the plastic between the bonnet and the front glass (where the wipers are installed)! This shouldnt' be hapenning on a brand new car!
No it shouldn't. It didn't happen in mine even after 6 months (although it spends considerable time outdoors).

Quote:
Was this whole 14" upsizing business a really bad idea?
Not really. And I think you are pretty much within the upsizing limit. I'm aware of that NH31A profile. It was a good decision IMHO. Any comment, Iceman?

Quote:
- The Headlamps. Although I've been driving around quite a lot with the 90/100 bulbs and without a cutout and not faced any problems, is there a possible danger? In case of circuit overload, will the fuse blow and nothing else, or could it be more harmful? What should I do? I cannot cut any wiring. Should I go back to the 55/60 watt original bulbs?
It was discussed in the forum quite a while back. Look around if you can.

Quote:
Does the chasis/ body or engine have any Year/month of manufacture? What do i do?
You can get the month and year of manufacture from the chasis no. What are the first 6 character of your chasis no. (beginning with M)?
Old 15th August 2005, 11:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrajitr
Cigarette lighter comes with Baleno Lxi, so does carpet matting. Go through the Accessory list in the brochure for yourself. Checkout Baleno's website for a PDF version of the brochure.

Is the problem similar to the one described here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5354
It shouldn't happen in a new car anyway.

No it shouldn't. It didn't happen in mine even after 6 months (although it spends considerable time outdoors).

Not really. And I think you are pretty much within the upsizing limit. I'm aware of that NH31A profile. It was a good decision IMHO. Any comment, Iceman?

It was discussed in the forum quite a while back. Look around if you can.

You can get the month and year of manufacture from the chasis no. What are the first 6 character of your chasis no. (beginning with M)?
No, the Chasis Number is- 120155 and the Engine Number is- 514238. Now How do I verify the actual Year/ month of manufacture?

Also, am facing problems convincing the Maruti Dealer not to cancel my suspension warranty coz, according to them, on upgradation to 195/60r14, my suspension warranty get's void and I'll have to foot the repair bills myself

WhatdoIdo?
Old 15th August 2005, 12:13   #4
Team-BHP Support

I thought you wanted to do all these changes in Calcutta.

According to me your dealer’s behaviour is abnormal. This is essentially because he is probably the only one (BEEKAY AUTO) there ruling the roost.

Other cities dealers do upgrade to higher wattage bulbs. In your case please put the relay cut out. Few numbers of extra fuses won’t help you.

Your tyre upgrade is well within the limit. It’s really abnormal that your wheels are touching wheel arches. One suspicion I have is in the wheel alignment area. Any foul play with your suspension setup can cause this kind of problem.

Discolouration is totally unacceptable. Talk to your dealer. If he doesn’t move his back side, put it across straight to Maruti http://www.marutiudyog.com/ab/contac...h=1&ct=10&sc=3
Old 15th August 2005, 12:33   #5

Quote:
No, the Chasis Number is- 120155 and the Engine Number is- 514238. Now How do I verify the actual Year/ month of manufacture?

Also, am facing problems convincing the Maruti Dealer not to cancel my suspension warranty coz, according to them, on upgradation to 195/60r14, my suspension warranty get's void and I'll have to foot the repair bills myself

WhatdoIdo?
The chasis no. you mentioned (possibly got in delivery challan or money receipt) is not the full one. You can get the full chasis # if you open the bonnet. See the Manual.

You are perfectly within limit. True, you have upsized the wheel rim, but you have also gone for lower profile tyre. That is compensatory. In fact in your case you have actually lowered OD.

See this link for details (in fact you can take a print-out and show them)
http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...yre_bible.html

I think, this is sheer ignorance on their part. In many cases (other cities), dealer themselves offer this combination for a premium.
Old 15th August 2005, 12:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think your dealer has taken you for a right royal ride. Get your chassis number/engine number/VIN and get in touch with Maruti's sales officers for West Bengal - they should be able to give you the year and month of manufacture. I'm not sure if this is possible, but it looks like he's palmed off a defective or even used car on you...just a hunch.
Old 15th August 2005, 13:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

I suspect the discoloration on plastic door handles may be because of the teflon coating. I had similar ones on my Petra's side moulding straps, which when cleaned up with a toothbrush, went off. Discolouration at least in my car were like deposits on the plastics, which could be cleaned. The dealer person attributed it to the teflon coating.
Old 15th August 2005, 14:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I think your dealer has taken you for a right royal ride.
That's what I am suspecting as well. Most of the off-Calcutta Maruti dealers in WB (esp. Siliguri, Kharagpur) are extremely unprofessional.
Quote:
Get your chassis number/engine number/VIN and get in touch with Maruti's sales officers for West Bengal - they should be able to give you the year and month of manufacture.
Maruti Calcutta sales office is very go-slow type. They don't even have the spec of their models readily available.
The Delhi/GGN helpline (1600 11 1515) is a better option.

For Baleno, you can easily verify the month/year of manufacture from the chasis no. (the full no. as appearing on the chasis # plate) e.g. mine reads MA3EE... [M=Maruti, A=January, B=February ...] And if it has the HLL below the ORVM adjustment, it must be BS3.

Further, MUL have discontinued manufacturing non-BS3 Baleno since 5th Jan 2005.

So, @Puffy, first see if it is BS3 (must be) and then see the second letter after M (A/B/C ...) to know the month of manufacturing.
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is possible, but it looks like he's palmed off a defective or even used car on you...just a hunch.
Very much so. This is fairly likely. Couple of months back I saw quite a few BS2 Baleno in one of the dealers showroom in Calcutta. When I asked what they would do about it, they had a non-chalant reply: "there are quite a few with the other dealers as well and they all have already been booked by the other (non-calcutta) dealers where BS2 regn. is allowed !!"
So guess what? they would pass-off 8-10 months old Baleno to ignorant customers without them being even aware! I doubt they would let the customers know about this and give them any BS2 discount.
Old 15th August 2005, 17:48   #9
Team-BHP Support

Hi Puffy,

Very sad to hear your experience. I have 195/60R14 Yokohamas on my Baleno and they are just perfect. In fact my Maruti dealer offered to fit on delivery, but I got it done else where because dealer prices were high.

I think you are tyre problems may be related to wheel offset. Since your dealer doesn't have much in stock, he may have given you ill fitting alloy.

Aura 1445 specs is not available on the Aura web site, let us know what is the offset. The best fit for Baleno 195mm tyre should be:

PCD: 100
Offset (Inset): 35-38
Size: 14 x 6J

If the offset is excess of 40, that could mean trouble, the tyre might touch the arches.

Get a relay for the lights. In Bangalore dealers used to do it themselves, now RTO doesn't let them do it. No warranty gets void for doing this if you get it done outside.
Old 15th August 2005, 21:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai

Get a relay for the lights. In Bangalore dealers used to do it themselves, now RTO doesn't let them do it. No warranty gets void for doing this if you get it done outside.
got it done from my dealer a week ago. the dealer said tht the warranty might get void if it is not done properly.

s
Old 16th August 2005, 09:06   #11
BHPian

Hi, I checked under the bonnet and there's a Plaque with the chasis no- MA3EEJ91500 120155
and below it there's Engine No. G16BBN 514238

A little furthur away, engraved on the chasis itself, the same Chasis number is again there with the addition of xG5 in the end. Now, according to U, my car's either ofthe Jan 2003 stock (MA3) or July2005 (G5). If it is July 2005, then there's nothing wrong as I booked the car in End July. Which one is it?
Old 16th August 2005, 09:08   #12
BHPian

Oh and i forgot to mention, there's the Headlight beam adjuster below the Electronic rearview mirror adjuster. So can I be sure that it is a 2005 model?
Old 16th August 2005, 09:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Hi Puffy,

Very sad to hear your experience. I have 195/60R14 Yokohamas on my Baleno and they are just perfect. In fact my Maruti dealer offered to fit on delivery, but I got it done else where because dealer prices were high.

I think you are tyre problems may be related to wheel offset. Since your dealer doesn't have much in stock, he may have given you ill fitting alloy.

Aura 1445 specs is not available on the Aura web site, let us know what is the offset. The best fit for Baleno 195mm tyre should be:

PCD: 100
Offset (Inset): 35-38
Size: 14 x 6J

If the offset is excess of 40, that could mean trouble, the tyre might touch the arches.

Hi Samurai,

When buying the alloys, I made sure that the PCD is 100. I don't know what the offset is. I thought that putting 14" alloys and getting the tyres combo right- 195/60 and ensuring that the PCD is 100 would be all I should be worried about!

No, the wheels/Tyres never actually touch the wheelwell. In fact, going over mammoth bumps slowly, the tyres never scrapes the wheelwell.

There are two specific problems- One when going over a crater or broken hole over the road at moderate speed, the front wheel drops and there's a loud "Dhak" sound as if it has come undone!

Secondly, driving over slightly scarred roads there's the "tak-tak- khatak-tak" noise coming from beneath my steering column/ front suspension like something's loose.

I'm not worried about the plastics fading. As long as I'm convinced that the vehicle IS actually a 2005 model, I can ask the dealer to either clean it up ( ifit is coz of the Teflon coating) or replace all of it. They should comply.

What I'm worried about is that after having changed the tyres/rims
the dealer is very probably going to blame all suspension problems as due to the change.

I'm calling up Calcutta Hindalco Office today and confirming the wheel offset. If everything's in order, how can I convince the Maruti dealer that the suspension problems is not due to the wheels upsizing?
Old 16th August 2005, 09:49   #14
BHPian

Puff,
the wheel sound problem dropping into potholes seems unfortunately very common, and it is a very harsh sound.

Anyway, go to your dealer and insist its a Suspension prob
it cant be the wheels coz the VXi comes with 14" rims iirc

Tell him firmly, that you have checked and its a common problem,
have him check the front Lower arms for tightness and go thru the thread link posted abv

as for the platic, nab yr dealer
Do not run yr lamps without relays, you will put excessive drain on your battery
Old 16th August 2005, 10:09   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
Anyway, go to your dealer and insist its a Suspension prob
it cant be the wheels coz the VXi comes with 14" rims iirc
I don't think Vxi comes with 14" rims, both Lxi and Vxi come with 165/80R13.

Quote:
There are two specific problems- One when going over a crater or broken hole over the road at moderate speed, the front wheel drops and there's a loud "Dhak" sound as if it has come undone!
This one is a well known problem, something that can be fixed.

Quote:
Secondly, driving over slightly scarred roads there's the "tak-tak- khatak-tak" noise coming from beneath my steering column/ front suspension like something's loose.
This one baffles me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks